123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geekbench 3 Released

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Geekbench 3 Released Reply with quote

Geekbench 3 Released
Friday, August 16, 2013
Posted by: Staff

Primate Labs today announced the release of Geekbench 3 for OS X and iOS users. Geekbench 3 includes 15 new benchmark tests that are designed to model real-world processor intensive tasks. The new tests cover a number of different application domains, including encryption, image processing, signal processing, and physics simulation. The software also includes 12 completely rewritten benchmark tests from Geekbench 2 and a completely new scoring system that separates single-core performance and multi-core performance into two separate scores.

While multi-core performance is becoming more relevant as applications are rewritten to take advantage of multi-core processors, single-core performance is still a very important metric because every application benefits from great single-core performance.

With Geekbench 3, if you know your applications can't take advantage of the latest multi-core processors, you can use the new single-core scores to find the fastest machine for your tasks.

Pricing for a single-user license of Geekbench 3 for OS X starts at $15 ($10 until August 31st). Genchbench 3 for iOS is priced at $0.99.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/2040.html
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I wonder how when new metrics are used to evaluate a processor, that the data remains valuable relative to computers tested with previous versions of Geekbench. I realize you can view the breakdown, but when one final value is given, how does that work?
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you can compare GB 2 and GB 3 scores at all. They are broke down with different tests and results. And with GB 3, you also get a report for single-core vs multi-core performance. There are single-core scores given in GB 2, but with no final combined score. I do think the GB 3 results are more useful though. There are things like JPEG, PNG and BZip2 compress and decompress scores actually broken down, instead of being lumped together. That's way more valuable than before.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I might have to give this a try, I haven't used GB2 but, I like new toys... erm. things... erm... w.... Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben Tex wrote:
I don't think you can compare GB 2 and GB 3 scores at all. They are broke down with different tests and results. And with GB 3, you also get a report for single-core vs multi-core performance. There are single-core scores given in GB 2, but with no final combined score. I do think the GB 3 results are more useful though. There are things like JPEG, PNG and BZip2 compress and decompress scores actually broken down, instead of being lumped together. That's way more valuable than before.

Hopefully people go back and retest older machines with Geekbench 3.
I use Mactracker all the time to let people know how a new computer will compare to their existing computer. All the scores on Mactracker are Geekbench 2 scores.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Geekbench, but color me confused with the new scores. Why would you even want a breakout of a score of each core? And take the score from the picture here. I would assume that it's from a quad-core MacBook Pro. The total multi-core score is 9168. So, then each core has a score of 2564? If you take that times, it's 10256. I guess there are other factors to consider, but I'm not sure that I understand that one. What am I missing here?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically not all software utilizes multi-core processing. So it's nice to have a benchmark for single-core and multi-core results.

ie. Let's say you have a 3.0GHz Dual Core processor vs. a 2.3GHz Quad Core processor machine and you plan on running an application that only supports single core processing. Which machine should you buy?
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Basically not all software utilizes multi-core processing. So it's nice to have a benchmark for single-core and multi-core results.

ie. Let's say you have a 3.0GHz Dual Core processor vs. a 2.3GHz Quad Core processor machine and you plan on running an application that only supports single core processing. Which machine should you buy?

You should update the application Laughing Then buy the Quad Core machine Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

You should update the application Laughing Then buy the Quad Core machine Very Happy

I wish all programs supported multi-core processing. It should be a requirement.
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2012 Mac mini with a 2.3GHz quad-core i7 with 16GB of RAM

Single-core score = 2750

Multi-core score = 10605

You gotta love these little things. Smile
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

Yeah, that could be quite useful. I guess that just didn't snap in my head. So, thanks for putting it in that light Bandit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: