123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MediaCenter Suggestions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lornaevo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: MediaCenter Suggestions Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to the site and need some advice on setting up my media center.

I'm currently on time Warner cable in NYC. They charge a ton of money for their dvr service. I was wondering if elgato, home run or ceton would be viable options for me.

I have a Mac in the living room with 8TB of storage which would be the main machine. I have an Apple TV3 in my son's room and another in my wife and I room. I also have a Mac mini and two Mac laptops that I would also like to allow access to. We also have 3 iPhones and one galaxy 4. I'm not sure which would be my best option. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Andrew
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for the DVR options, as I've pretty much given up on live teevee and go with DVD box sets.

Otherwise, I think that Plex would be a good iDea for your system as the myPlex feature would allow all of the devices you've mentioned to link, or access, the same library.

On your main Mac, you'd set up the Plex Media Server, and then on the other computers, and smart phones, you'd set up the Plex Media Center. Your main Mac would transcode the content, working with in the restrictions of the core libraries that it uses, and serve the content to you any where in the world.

There is also a trick to get the ATV3 to see the Plex library through the trailers menu, but you would need to research that at the Plex forum.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Lornaevo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your response. I am using plex and plexconnect but my wife and kids need cable and dvr or they would kill me. lol
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I'm sure someone will chip in on some advice for the DVR options soon.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its Plex for me as well, I gave up with the main stream live tv about 5 years ago.

Unfortunately I still have to pay for the bloody thing, as like you Lornaevo the wife and kids still "NEED" to watch it Sad
They also seem to like watching adverts and repeats and complaining there is nothing on Confused

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o.k. - I know I posted a lengthy tutorial on here many years ago but, it's likely not available any more...

anyway, I have used EVERY available DVR solution for a Mac. Elgato wins hands down. There are bugs and quirks but, it works. Recording in HD, unless your editing and compressing them everyday, you will likely need more than 8TB. Recording raw HD video SWALLOWS up space. They used to use Titan TV for the channel guide which I found to be pretty accurate.

Good luck and let us know how it goes/what you decide.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
o.k. - I know I posted a lengthy tutorial on here many years ago but, it's likely not available any more...

Any post ever made on this forum is still available. If you use the search feature and type in your name as the author and a keyword, you should be able to find the thread.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
hackersmovie wrote:

Any post ever made on this forum is still available. If you use the search feature and type in your name as the author and a keyword, you should be able to find the thread.

Oh, I know BB. I meant that the images are likely gone. I used to host my own for forum posts but, that server is long gone. Reading the post now probably wouldn't make much sense....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hackersmovie wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
hackersmovie wrote:

Oh, I know BB. I meant that the images are likely gone. I used to host my own for forum posts but, that server is long gone. Reading the post now probably wouldn't make much sense....

It would be nice if this forum added the ability to post pics for this purpose. There is a picture gallery, but it's for user set-ups. Perhaps they could extend it to forum images. I know a lot of other forums allow you to do this so the forum doesn't end up a mess of broken links. Any pics I've ever posted here a dependant on some Skitch account floating around on the internet somewhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: