123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two 1TB SSHDs in current Mac Mini?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jguther

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:36 am    Post subject: Two 1TB SSHDs in current Mac Mini? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

my 2009 Mac Mini just stopped working and, I'm afraid, needs to be replaced. It's got two brand new internal 1TB SSHD drives (OWC data doubler) that I would like to transplant into a new Mac Mini.

Will this work? Or do the new mac minis require drives with special firmware?

If it will work, which model would you recommend? CPU speed is not an issue, but I need 8GB of RAM and do not want to spend more than absolutely necessary since this was not planned...

Thanks for your help!

Jochen
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer!

Yes, the drives can be transferred to a 2012 model, no firmware necessary. The i5 will probably work well for you. As always don't upgrade the RAM to 8GB from Apple, but rather a 3rd party.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Two 1TB SSHDs in current Mac Mini? Reply with quote

jguther wrote:
Hi folks,

my 2009 Mac Mini just stopped working and, I'm afraid, needs to be replaced. It's got two brand new internal 1TB SSHD drives (OWC data doubler) that I would like to transplant into a new Mac Mini.

Will this work? Or do the new mac minis require drives with special firmware?

If it will work, which model would you recommend? CPU speed is not an issue, but I need 8GB of RAM and do not want to spend more than absolutely necessary since this was not planned...

Thanks for your help!

Jochen
He is right . Apple is way overpriced with their ram. use Crucial which is good I have it and I never had a problem with it or Corsair good also.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had good luck with G.Skill sticks with my last few 8GB and 16GB upgrades. They usually come in priced below everyone else.

Here are their PC3 12800 sticks on Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007609%2050008476%20600000410&IsNodeId=1&name=G.SKILL

I'm lso a fan of Crucial.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820191523

Your hard drives will be fine in the 2012 Mac mini. I would recommend a fresh install though.

Good luck with the upgrades!
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
jguther

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help! Just ordered a refurbished i5 with 500GB disk and 4GB of RAM, as I will use my existing drives anyway and upgrade the memory as per your advice. A data doubler from OWC is on its way, too.

A fresh install should not be necessary - it's less than a month since I did that.

Wish me luck with this one!
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed in your original post you never mention which OS X version you were using on your 2009 mini.
This in itself could necessitate a reinstall.
jguther

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries there - the disks contain a fresh install of 10.8.4 with the latest patches plus Mountain Lion Server, properly configured, including an official SSL certificate.
jguther

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok - so I received the new Mac Mini and the OWC drive doubler kit. Installed both drives from the old Mac Mini, and the Mac Mini recognized the striped disk set and booted up with no problems.

Since OS X detected new hardware, some preferences got deleted during first boot, but those were easy to re-enter.

The 2012 Mac Mini with 2TB of striped SSHD is a very capable little machine!

I'm back in business!

All that remains to be done is the memory upgrade from 4GB to 8GB or 16GB. Will the 2012 Mac Mini work with a single memory module installed?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: