123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases iLife '06
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent Vega wrote:
According to the Apple Store (UK one), if you order a Mac today, you'll get iLife '06 in the box. They do something known as a "drop pack" - they just stick the DVD and manuals in the box.

That's the way my mini came last year. I think it's better to have the full iLife DVD than have them put it on the restore DVD.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just ordered iLife 06 today and cannot wait to get it since I am a .mac member. The iWeb feature, iPhotocasting feature, and enhanced iPhoto, iDVD, and iMovie features were too much to pass up. Besides, with my corporate discount it was well worth the $65 that it cost me....

I watched the Keynote speech and iWeb blew me away with its ease of use. I really was not happy with the web authoring sofware that came with .mac and am excited to create a website and start my own blog.. Very cool Apple.
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ack_mac wrote:
am excited to create a website and start my own blog.. Very cool Apple.

Ditto... I am looking forward to building a personal blog. I was really impressed with the iWeb demo. Now, I need to crank up the old .Mac account. I discontinued the service over a year ago. I am looking forward to checking out all the new features since I've been away.
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
spoonman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ack_mac wrote:
Well, I just ordered iLife 06 today and cannot wait to get it since I am a .mac member. The iWeb feature, iPhotocasting feature, and enhanced iPhoto, iDVD, and iMovie features were too much to pass up. Besides, with my corporate discount it was well worth the $65 that it cost me....

I watched the Keynote speech and iWeb blew me away with its ease of use. I really was not happy with the web authoring sofware that came with .mac and am excited to create a website and start my own blog.. Very cool Apple.

Same here!!! I actually ordered my copy right after the keynote. Should arrive at work tomorrow. I also just bought the .mac since I sold my PDA, so it will all get along nicely together.... Smile
Combo optical drive
Airport Extreme/Bluetooth
External 16X DVD+R,-R (Sony DRU-810A) in an ADS FW enclosure
NewerTech MiniStack w/ Seagate 7200.8 250GB HD.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Apple keeps giving people reasons to subscribe to .Mac. It has many cool features, but not enough for some of us. They needed to bring it up a notch and will have to continue to improve it. A good example was the webpage development portion of it. It previously was very clunky and very restrictive. I know Apple will come up with a nice balance of easy of use and flexibility.
prats4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate/

You can try to get it here!!! If your Mini meets the specs!!
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing with iLife 06 for a few days now. Here are my observations:
- iPhoto is slightly better (full screen editing is very cool), Photocasting is very cool. Red-eye reduction still sucks. Example, I edit one picture using the red-eye reduction tool and the tool actually works (thus cleaning up the red-eye). But this only seems to work 1 out of every four times. In other instances, the tool seems to clean up the red-eye in edit mode but when I open the picture again after saving it, the red-eye is still there (although it may be slightly better). Same probem that I had in 05.. This is going to cause me to buy a better photo editing tool like Photoshop. I just hate having to use 2 different tools to accomplish something that iPhoto should be able to handle...
- iWeb is very cool. I sat down with my wife (she has no web authoring experience) and we made three very cool web pages in under an hour complete with pictures. If you have a .mac account, this is a must have and a vast improvement over the previous .mac web authoring tools.

Have not had a chance to play with iMovie or iDVD too much, but they have some very cool options now and make it even easier to make a movie and DVD.

My synopsis of iLife 06 is this. If you do not have a .mac account it may not be worth the money to upgrade to 06 unless you are heavy into Garageband, and iMovie. The iWeb tool will be useless, and while iPhoto Photocasting is cool, it is not $79 cool...

I have read postings where other users have had iLife 06 routinely crash on them but I have not experience this to date.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ack_mac wrote:

My synopsis of iLife 06 is this. If you do not have a .mac account... The iWeb tool will be useless, and while iPhoto Photocasting is cool, it is not $79 cool...

You can take an iWeb webpage and post it to the internet without a .Mac account.
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
ack_mac wrote:

My synopsis of iLife 06 is this. If you do not have a .mac account... The iWeb tool will be useless, and while iPhoto Photocasting is cool, it is not $79 cool...

You can take an iWeb webpage and post it to the internet without a .Mac account.

Thanks for that bit of info.. That definitely makes iLife 06 more enticing...
thekonuskid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local college's student bookstore was selling iLife 06 for 39 bucks (no, that's not a typo) so I obviously bought a copy (I wasn't going to pay $79 for it, but for $39 you'd be crazy not to upgrade from 05). The main draw for me, other than GB3 and the iPhoto update, is the new iWeb app. Hey Bandit Bill (i think it was you who mentioned it at least)-- how can I go about posting a webpage to something other than .Mac? Any clue? Thanks.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thekonuskid wrote:
My local college's student bookstore was selling iLife 06 for 39 bucks (no, that's not a typo) so I obviously bought a copy (I wasn't going to pay $79 for it, but for $39 you'd be crazy not to upgrade from 05). The main draw for me, other than GB3 and the iPhoto update, is the new iWeb app. Hey Bandit Bill (i think it was you who mentioned it at least)-- how can I go about posting a webpage to something other than .Mac? Any clue? Thanks.

I haven't used it yet. But it converts it to html. From there your would have to use an ftp program to transfer it to a server. I'm off to work out of town for a few days. I'm sure someone will be more helpful.

Later
rosco

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thekonuskid wrote:
My local college's student bookstore was selling iLife 06 for 39 bucks (no, that's not a typo) so I obviously bought a copy (I wasn't going to pay $79 for it, but for $39 you'd be crazy not to upgrade from 05). The main draw for me, other than GB3 and the iPhoto update, is the new iWeb app. Hey Bandit Bill (i think it was

I'm having second thoughts about how good it is - it's incredibly restrictive in what it will let you do. Also it's insistence on using full sized .PNG files makes for VERY big pages.
mertle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought iLife 06 the other day from the online Apple shop in Australia after the local Apple store told me they wouldn't be getting it till the middle of next month! Show's you how much some of these salesmen actually know.

I installed the upgrade and made a new iMovie in an hour and it's great! I love the new themes and also the new full screen editing in iPhoto.

When the new mini comes out (hopefully witht he remote and Front Row, tho I have that on already!) I will be upgrading to that, mm I love the mini design and think i Life 06 is worth every penny! $119 Aust dollars.
300 gig external hdd

CHECK OUT THIS COOL SITE! music made on a mac!
www.songforfree.com
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like iPhoto 6. It was well worth the upgrade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: