123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FW 400 and FW 800 question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: FW 400 and FW 800 question Reply with quote

I have an older mac min that has FW 400 that I have been using with my Lacie external that has a FW 400 port.

I just got another external that has only FW 800 and USB.

Any issues with me connecting the FW 800 external to the mac FW 400, using an adapter or wire that has FW400 on one end and FW 800 at the other.

I prefer to keep using the FW instead of the USB 2,0 because I think FW although slower, holds reliable and sustained speeds unlike USB 2

Any suggestions or comments appreciated
EXT. HD:Lacie D2Quadra-1TB and WD Studio 2TB
Sometimes wish this mac would crash, or screw up or break, so I can get a newer one and upgrade my OS , but "Oh Well".
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of remember that FW400 was theoretically slower than USB2, but was actually a little quicker in real life. I used an adapter a long time ago for a drive and don't remember any issues.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no issues connecting through a 400/800 adapter; I do this myself. I got a cheap adapter from Other World Computing.
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Many thanks to both of you
Sometimes wish this mac would crash, or screw up or break, so I can get a newer one and upgrade my OS , but "Oh Well".
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drive array I have my HTmini is FW800 and the C2D mini was FW400. I had no problems with a FW800/FW400 cable.

I don't recall if it came with that cable, or if I ordered it from Monoprice.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all.

Decided on an adapter for $1.99 (delivered) from NewEgg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119268

Primarily because:

- I am cheap
-And decent reviews
-And because, I don't have to guess how thick the cable plug is that squeezes between my mini slots (the 800 male will plug into the external port, and then I can run the 400 cable, that's already in the mini to the female end of the adapter).
-Because I am cheap.

On a related note of cheapness, within the last week I was able to pick up a new, sealed in the box, 2TB WD Element external from NewEgg for a grand total of $54 (delivered) and two days ago I walked into an Office Depot and purchased a new, sealed in the box, 2TB WD My Book Studio external (the one in aluminum case). for $37. I missed the WD $24 1TB externals.

I am pulling the 2TB HD out of the WD Element and putting it into my reliable LaCie enclosure, but the Studio it will stay intact (love the aluminum enclosure, and it is already formatted for mac).

So to other members like me and to my long winded friends here as well, I wanted to pass along these two sites, which I was oblivious to, until recently.

http://slickdeals.net/ Instead of just looking at the front page you can search engine box to find specific things i.e..."hard drives'

http://www.techbargains.com/

I had always suspected that at some brick and mortar stores that some nationwide clearances were not really advertised or not available online. That perhaps the clearance was put in effect, but the sale items never were put out on the shelves, and only became available by simply asking. Now I wonder who would buy them if they never made it to the shelves (not the 18 year old employees).

If you take a look at the bottom thread. you will see what led me to go to Office Depot for instance, on the deal I got. The thread seems to still be active, but I have no idea what's left out there in the US. There were only two externals left in my city for instance. But in the future I am sure more deals will turn up.

http://slickdeals.net/f/6162584-WD-My-Book-Essential-1TB-External-Hard-Drive-USB-3-0-24-93-At-Office-Depot-YMMV
zedtvl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
There are no issues connecting through a 400/800 adapter; I do this myself. I got a cheap adapter from Other World Computing.

I confirm (got mine at Monoprice)
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some pretty sweet deals!

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zedtvl wrote:

I was a big fan of Monoprice until they got hacked a couple years ago. Now I tend to look on Newegg first. Even though Monoprice usually has better prices.

I used an FW800 to FW400 adapter with my 2009 Mac mini and never had any issues. I'm sort of moving all my gear towards USB 3.0 now. I had hoped to migrate my external storage to Thunderbolt, but it's still to expensive in comparison.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
zedtvl wrote:

I was a big fan of Monoprice until they got hacked a couple years ago. Now I tend to look on Newegg first. Even though Monoprice usually has better prices.

I used an FW800 to FW400 adapter with my 2009 Mac mini and never had any issues. I'm sort of moving all my gear towards USB 3.0 now. I had hoped to migrate my external storage to Thunderbolt, but it's still to expensive in comparison.

Thunderbolt is about $50 more expensive (all else being equal). It's not as big of a deal any more. Usually this includes the price of the cable as well, so if you factor that in it's about the same.
zedtvl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
zedtvl wrote:

I did not know they got hacked that might explain why about two years ago I had some problems with some credit card charges I never made.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: