123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple TV vs Chromecast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Apple TV vs Chromecast Reply with quote

Google came out with a pretty cool little device called the Chromecast. It offers Airplay like streaming through a little HDMI dongle. Not a giant deal, but it has a couple things that Airplay through the Apple TV doesn't offer. One being that it supports multiple platforms (Android, iOS, Mac, and PC). It also doesn't require the "streaming" device to be turned on because it acts as the receiver. I must say that it also has a pretty interesting price of $35. Do you guys have any opinions on this one? I always like to hear what other here have to say.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Apple TV, but I'm still thinking about ordering one. I don't know how you can go wrong for $35. Especially considering they throw in 3 months of Netflix for free, even if you're already a subscriber.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will let you know in a couple days Curt. Mine is on the way from Best Buy. Cool
tom d

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the debut of it on the Google presentation and it was pretty impressive. I ordered one from the Google Store and it should be here in a week. I was really watching to see the new Nexus 7 and what the changes were and had no idea this was coming out.

As an aside, Google has sold so many of them they had to stop the free Netflix offer because they ran out of codes for the free 3 months. The delivery time is out to a month now. They are selling on Ebay between $65.00 and $100.00 dollars.

tom d
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading about it too last night. It does sound like a decent device for the money. It's a shame they did away with the Netflix deal though. That made it less scary to take the leap on an untested device. Then again, it's only $35 smackers. I think that factor alone will keep it popular. Take that, decent reviews, and more content providers and we could be looking at something extremely popular for some time to come.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a Chromecast from Best Buy and love it. This little thing streams from the cloud like a champ. It also does fairly well with the tab extension in Chrome. It just suffers from an occasional audio syncing issue. So I'm thinking Apple will probably have to respond to this one. Because it has a lot of potential for only $35, which is also cheap enough to throw on all of your TVs. We're talking about three rooms for the price of one Apple TV. I think Apple can hit back though. One word... "apps" on the Apple TV with an open SDK.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chromecast got HBO GO today. Pretty much without limits from the cable providers. Shocked

This little thing keeps getting more interesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: