123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini 3.1 stopped working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pgershon

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Mac Mini 3.1 stopped working Reply with quote

I have a mac mini 3.1 that was running 10.8.2 and suddenly stopped working. The machine froze last week, leaving everything it was doing visible but hanging on the screen (about 5 applications were open). Did not seem like a big deal until I went to reboot. Rebooted and walked away, and when I returned, there was a blinking small blinking folder at the center of the screen.

I tried to reboot again and just saw a white screen. System made reboot tone but would not go further. Then tried reset of pram (start up with command option pr) and machine beeped and restarted properly, but still white screen. Tried to boot with option pressed, figuring maybe hard drive fried, but that failed. Same when I tried to reboot holding "d" to run diagnostic - noting happened.

So in all, all my mac will do is beep and show a white screen. And I can reset pram, but cannot seem to do anything else. Any ideas what this could be?
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the original grey OSX discs that came with it?
Can you power on, put a disc in, and tap "c" and boot from that?

Sounds like a dead hard disc to me. Sad
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blinking folder means it can't find an operating system to boot. So either the hard drive is snookered, or more optimistically, something in the OS got messed up that can be fixed with a reinstall.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem not just the hard drive he is getting a white screen of death key word death he needs to check capacitors on the mac mini's main board it sounds like he has had a capacitor failure the reason why it sounds like this is when the o.s is running the o.s would freeze and not come back with a capacitor failure this leads to a white screen which is not good it means it has enough power to display but because of the bad capacitor it cannot boot the machine or apply enough power to the machine to start up the computer fully

models with this issue are.

mac mini 3.1

mac mini 4.1

macbook pro aluminum model.

this happens more then it should
pgershon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so does capacitor failure = dispose machine, time for a fresh one?
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea pretty much
pgershon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing I realized. If I just let the machine start-up and leave it some time, I get a flashing folder with a question mark. If I start up trying to hold option (to get a choice of boot volume), I get just a white screen. Still think capacitor issue?
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep still sounds like a capacitor failure

i would take it into a apple store and have them at least look at it so they can see it they can get it to boot from a external hard drive
Tommie Milwaukee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman ... your posts are usually helpful, but nearly unreadable. Could you possibly use some punctuation once in a while? Your long run-on sentences are hard to follow. Just a suggestion.
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pgershon wrote:
One more thing I realized. If I just let the machine start-up and leave it some time, I get a flashing folder with a question mark. If I start up trying to hold option (to get a choice of boot volume), I get just a white screen. Still think capacitor issue?

It could be a logic board issue, but it sounds like your system can't find the startup drive. Try this page for troubleshooting.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1440
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
tom d

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the info you got was good, I am thinking hard drive, make sure that you are using a corded mouse because when they go down the cordless mouse will not work. tom d
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: