123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgrading 2005 Mini with Wireless/BT combo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dewster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Upgrading 2005 Mini with Wireless/BT combo Reply with quote

Hello all; first post.

I got an early (2005, I think) Mac Mini free at an e-waste event. I powered it up and at first found that it emitted three beeps, which was something with the RAM. I then opened it up and found that the RAM stick was partially popped out of it's socket. I pushed it back into place and then powered it up again, and it booted right up to OS X 10.4! Can't beat free. Very Happy

Now I found that it supports a wireless/Bluetooth combo card which seats on top of a Mezzanine board. Apparently there's several revisions of this Mezzanine board. I'm not sure, but I think the board I need is the one with a rectangle opening in the middle?

If anyone could hint me on the right one, I'd greatly appreciate it.
STL Mark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. I am also new. If I had your luck and wanted parts of any type I would head over to the iFixIt site. You can determine what model you have and see videos or photos of tear downs of the unit. You may find that this is the card that you need.

Being somewhat lazy I would also consider USB adapters that may be less expensive and less involved. I see the 2005 Minis had USB. It appears that the io Gear bluetooth adapter (GBU421) runs under 10.4
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would venture to think that the only difference in the motherboards is the CPU, and nothing else. So any of the G4 wifi/bt adapters should work.

Make sure that you get one that works with a G4 as the newish Airport cards require an Intel Core2Duo CPU.

It might be easier to use a USB dongle as STL Mark suggested.

If you decide to upgrade to 10.5 later, make sure it's a retail disc and not a disc that came with a specific Mac (unless it was a G4 mini).

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Dewster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions.

I think I found the one I'm after:

That's the one that fits the wireless/Bluetooth combo card. The one without the rectangle opening in the middle fits just the Airport Extreme card, IIRC.

I hope it's OK of asking, but does anyone have one of these Mezzanine boards that I could buy?
STL Mark

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sell the board or the kit at DV Warehouse.
geeji

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A USB bluetooth dongle will cost less. Beware however that you find one using Broadcom BCM2045/2046/2046B1 chips, since they are the ones which were natively supported by Apple; otherwise you may get BT disconnection problems after power off/sleep/wake.

Note that if you want to use some BT peripherals introduced after 2005, you will likely need to upgrade to 10.5.8 and install some additional drivers on top of it.
For instance, to use the BT Magic Mouse, I had to install Apple's WirelessMouseSoftware.dmg.
This thread may also be useful.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I/o Gear usb dongle for bluetooth is macintosh compatible
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: