123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mini getting sluggish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maurice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Mini getting sluggish Reply with quote

My Intel mini (running Snow Leopard) is getting more and more sluggish. There is a noticeable delay between typing and execution. Also, if I browse too long, the mac does not cope any more and the beachball keeps turning for a long time before digesting the backlog.

I am in Singapore and the broadband, supposedly 2 Mb, should be adequate.

I opened the Activity Monitor and I noticed that the longer I browse the smaller the green part of the pie becomes. But when I start it is already quite small (about 6 minutes if a watch dial).
This green part shows the free memory. Can I increase it? The blue part, which is the inactive memory, takes up a quarter of the place! Or can I reduce the yellow active memory which eats up nearly half the cake?

Or is there anything else I can do?
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing that comes to mind...
"is your hard drive getting full"?
MrMini

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Clean out your junk files Reply with quote

try CCleaner:

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

clean out all junk files..
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much RAM have you got?
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest sharing some information about you mini as others have stated. Exact model, RAM, etc. Simply stating you have a problem and asking for help based on no information is pretty challenging.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Mini getting sluggish Reply with quote

maurice wrote:
My Intel mini (running Snow Leopard) is getting more and more sluggish. There is a noticeable delay between typing and execution. Also, if I browse too long, the mac does not cope any more and the beachball keeps turning for a long time before digesting the backlog.

I am in Singapore and the broadband, supposedly 2 Mb, should be adequate.

I opened the Activity Monitor and I noticed that the longer I browse the smaller the green part of the pie becomes. But when I start it is already quite small (about 6 minutes if a watch dial).
This green part shows the free memory. Can I increase it? The blue part, which is the inactive memory, takes up a quarter of the place! Or can I reduce the yellow active memory which eats up nearly half the cake?

Or is there anything else I can do?
Just be careful when using CC.
maurice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I forgot the specs. Version 10.6.8 RAM : 2Gb, HD: 160Gb, Available: 73 Gb. So my problem is not the HD but probably the RAM. The Activity monitor shows that the main user of RAM is Firefox. I don't know how to make it less greedy so I now temporarily use Safari which requires much less memory.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any idea which model mini you? Without passing that information we can only guess what the maximum supported RAM is for your system.

An SSD would certainly give you a more pop, even if 2GB is max. I probably wouldnt even consider going 7200 from you 5400 rpm drive.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not? OS X is a disc based operating system, and the faster that drive is, the more responsive the computer will be.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion while it would be faster, it would be negligible for the potential work involved compared to the pop of the SSD. There are several relatively inexpensive SSD options at similar size as the original drive. Cost is relative and it may not be an option

If 2GB is the max the SSD will handle page outs slightly better than a spinning drive and also the speed up the extensive use of virtual memory of OS X.

I've not ever thought of any operating system as being tied to a particular type of storage or defined by it, not saying it isn't true, I've just never thought of it that way. I would say that it isn't so much a disc based operating system as a function of what has what has been the most common for the last few decades. Nothing keeps OS X from being a transistor based operating system I guess other than cost, preference...other?
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mac OS used to be ROM based, but that was eons ago! Older computers were more likely to be ROM based as removable media was either slow or expensive, or slow and expensive.

It's not hard to see the data that a faster drive allows a disc based OS to be faster. It's all over the place. You can find Philips older posts, or look at the Geekbench site, or XLR8YOURMAC.

From what I've seen at another Mac forum, OS X still has issues with the way it deals with SSDs that can have an impact of the device longevity. Of course it will be faster than any HDD, but there are other things to consider such as cost per storage denisty that can make a HDD more desirable.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bumped my MM at work from 2GB to 8GB and I love it once again. It was sluggish and running multiple apps was dangerous since it would lag or make it a challenge to flip back and forth. Picked up the 8GB from Crucial and followed the directions from OWC.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Ram Reply with quote

Y-Guy wrote:
I bumped my MM at work from 2GB to 8GB and I love it once again. It was sluggish and running multiple apps was dangerous since it would lag or make it a challenge to flip back and forth. Picked up the 8GB from Crucial and followed the directions from OWC.
I also went from 2 gigs to 8 gigs of ram . made a big difference in performance.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen little from the last few years that indicates that OSX has any issues with SSDs. Apple has made it mildly challenging for 3rd party vendors to deal with TRIM, but there are a few technologies that deal with that effectively. As OSX is not defined as a spinning disk OS, the option is available. And as you said yourself, the faster the drive is the more responsive it will be, why not get a markedly faster drive instead a small incremental increase.

Again the cost has come down substantially and the small increase of a 7200 would in my opinion not be worth the time.

Cost is always a factor, but based on what little info the OP has presented it is an reasonable option.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually i noticed that even with 8 gig's of ram snow leopard has had some issues with ssd's in general including limiting read and write speeds which is a pain in the can
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: