123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What kind of setup would you recommend?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luddite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: What kind of setup would you recommend? Reply with quote

There's a lot of really good in depth discussion on this site, but I have a basic question that I can't seem to find an answer to.

I have a Mac Mini (1 year old, the Thunder bolt one). I have XBMC installed on the MM and a bunch of movies, music, photos and TV shows stored on an external HD connected to the MM. It's backed up to a time capsule.

Currently the MM is connected to the TV in the living room and we use it to watch movies and TV and play music. We operate it via a wireless keyboard and trackpad, but we never use it as a desktop computer.

I'd like to be able to put the MM in another room where we can use it as a computer, but access the media on it on the TV in the living room.

The solution has to be operable by my wife so it needs to be super easy to use.

Would Apple TV work? As I understand it that only streams iTunes content and only the music is in iTunes. As I understand it I would have to convert all the media to iTunes compatible formats and them import them into iTunes on the MM for it to stream to an Apple TV....right?

Are there any other options?

If it helps we also have 2 iPhones, a macbook and an iPad in the house. We currently watch content on the iPad via the Air Video app and Air Video Server on the MM.

It would also be nice if I could operate the MM via the TV interface so I can start movies downloading etc from the living room but that is not vital.

Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't say what your teevee is, but if it's super new and has a DNLA service you could try that.

If you're willing to switch from XBMC to Plex you could use a Roku with the teevee. If you want to use an ATV2/3 then there is a hack that lets the ATV2/3 see the Plex library.

You could use Plex on every device you have and share your content from the server via the myPlex system.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Luddite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The telly is a Toshiba flatscreen; about 3 years old now. I think it has an ethernet socket in the back but I have never used it. Why don't TV's have wifi?
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luddite wrote:
The telly is a Toshiba flatscreen; about 3 years old now. I think it has an ethernet socket in the back but I have never used it. Why don't TV's have wifi?

A lot of newer Sony, Samsung and Vizio TV's do have built-in Wi-Fi. You have another option too. You can buy an AirPort Express and extend your network over ethernet into a TV's port.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newer ones do.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: