123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who's waiting for Haswell Mac minis?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdgm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

802.11ac ("gigabit" Wi-Fi) is much slower than gigabit ethernet in practice. For desktop machines a wired network is the way to go. Though if you can't get a wired network installed then of course 802.11ac support (assuming it comes to the next Mini) would be very welcome.
2011 Mini Server
NAS - 10 x ReadyNAS units
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Connection Reply with quote

mdgm wrote:
802.11ac ("gigabit" Wi-Fi) is much slower than gigabit ethernet in practice. For desktop machines a wired network is the way to go. Though if you can't get a wired network installed then of course 802.11ac support (assuming it comes to the next Mini) would be very welcome.
Where I live i am lucky i have any speed period which is somewhat decent.
mdgm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The benefits of 802.11ac would be a faster, more reliable connection and better range. This will be good for local file transfers but will do nothing to help your Internet speeds.

As I have multiple Macs and some NAS units, faster speeds for local file transfers would be very welcome, but as ethernet is faster than Wi-Fi, I see little reason to wait for 802.11ac to possibly come to the Mini if you have a wired network.
2011 Mini Server
NAS - 10 x ReadyNAS units
epic_ed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdgm wrote:
The benefits of 802.11ac would be a faster, more reliable connection and better range. This will be good for local file transfers but will do nothing to help your Internet speeds.

As I have multiple Macs and some NAS units, faster speeds for local file transfers would be very welcome, but as ethernet is faster than Wi-Fi, I see little reason to wait for 802.11ac to possibly come to the Mini if you have a wired network.

I totally agree. It means nothing for Internet. I would only be concerned about waiting if you have one of the new Airport Extreme base stations and want the fastest throughput to the rest or your wired network.
Radar73

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on Apple! I need a new Mac mini soon for school. I'd kinda like to have one with the latest and greatest from Intel. Not to mention one with better video and 802.11ac connectivity.
MrMini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: New Mac Mini Reply with quote

NO, I will just keep what I have, it works fine, maybe a refurbished Mac Book Air..
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radar73 wrote:
Come on Apple! I need a new Mac mini soon for school. I'd kinda like to have one with the latest and greatest from Intel. Not to mention one with better video and 802.11ac connectivity.

If Apple remains typical to past years, you'll be in school before any new models ship. The back to school promotion is the incentive to purchase now.

Sure you want it all, but it's not likely going to happen. Especially when a new OS is just around the corner.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New Mac Mini Reply with quote

MrMini wrote:
NO, I will just keep what I have, it works fine, maybe a refurbished Mac Book Air..
Smart person.
ShaneP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even understand Apple these days. They come out with new 802.11ac AirPorts and then leave all of their Macs out to dry. I mean, except for the MacBook Air. Now, they're even talking about the AirPort Express getting updated soon. How much longer do we have to wait for Haswell-based Mac minis, iMacs and rMBPs? It's getting sad.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Apple Reply with quote

ShaneP wrote:
I don't even understand Apple these days. They come out with new 802.11ac AirPorts and then leave all of their Macs out to dry. I mean, except for the MacBook Air. Now, they're even talking about the AirPort Express getting updated soon. How much longer do we have to wait for Haswell-based Mac minis, iMacs and rMBPs? It's getting sad.
Apple is a bunch of promises that is all with this company now.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
ShaneP wrote:
Apple is a bunch of promises that is all with this company now.

Name one promise that Apple has made and never delivered.

The MacBook Air is Apple's most popular back to school computer, so it makes sense that it was released early in time for the back to school season.

Mavericks is coming out this fall. Likely Apple will start shipping new computer models within 1 week following the Sep 10, 13 announcement.
ShaneP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Apple is failing to deliver on promised products. That's probably more of an appearance with all of the crazy rumors out there. Sometimes those rumors blur the lines between reality and what it is technologically possible. For me, it just seems like they might be overextended in other areas and failing to keep up with other PC makers. At least when it comes to putting the latest and greatest from Intel in inside their machines. They certainly haven't fallen behind in the design or build quality departments. Apple is still second to none in that area.
Grover Time

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm beginning to think the Apple TV will see the move to 802.11ac before the Mac mini and iMac. I think the next Macs to come out will be the MacBook Pro with Retina and new Mac Pro. The iMac and Mac mini will probably be updated towards the end of the year. To be honest though, I don't think the move to Haswell is even a big deal for either the iMac or Mac mini. Most of benefits of Haswell revolve around power management and battery life. From a performance standpoint, it's not leaps and bounds over Ivy Bridge. You probably be better off buying a 2012 refurb at this point and upgrading the RAM to 16GB. Take the savings and put it towards a new iPad or something.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Apple Reply with quote

ShaneP wrote:
I don't think Apple is failing to deliver on promised products. That's probably more of an appearance with all of the crazy rumors out there. Sometimes those rumors blur the lines between reality and what it is technologically possible. For me, it just seems like they might be overextended in other areas and failing to keep up with other PC makers. At least when it comes to putting the latest and greatest from Intel in inside their machines. They certainly haven't fallen behind in the design or build quality departments. Apple is still second to none in that area.
Apple has to really come out with brand new innovations. Not the same items just modifying them over and over again.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
Apple has to really come out with brand new innovations. Not the same items just modifying them over and over again.

Why? Apple's not a kickstarter company. Apple develops products that everyone will use. Apple has never been overly inventive. Traditionally other companies come out with a product first and then Apple makes a much better version at a later date, often quite a bit later; then they continually improve upon it.

Expect Apple to make futher gains in the tablet/moblie device market. That's where most of their energy is focused, because it's the biggest growth and profit sector of the market.
Expect TV to move to another level.
Expect lighter laptops with longer battery life.
Expect Retina in iMacs
Expect 4K Cinema Displays

Apple has already applied for iWatch trademarks throughout the world. Again this is a category that already exists. Companies like Samsung already have smart watches on the market.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: