123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Apple Updates AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule Reply with quote

Apple Updates AirPort Extreme and Time Capsule
Monday, June 10, 2013
Posted by: Staff

Apple today introduced redesigned AirPort Extreme and AirPort Time Capsule base stations that feature three-stream 802.11ac Wi-Fi technology with a maximum data rate of 1.3Gbps, almost three times faster than 802.11n. The new AirPort base stations include high-powered radios and a six-element beam-forming antenna array to maximize range and performance. With setup built right into OS X and iOS, users can create a high-speed Wi-Fi network in just a few clicks, and the intuitive AirPort Utility makes it easy to view and manage a network graphically. Featuring 2TB or 3TB hard drives, AirPort Time Capsule works in conjunction with Time Machine in OS X and is the simplest way to wirelessly backup multiple Macs. Measuring just 3.85-inches by 3.85-inches and 6.6-inches tall, these new base stations can be placed almost anywhere in the home.

The new AirPort Extreme and AirPort Time Capsule base stations are available today through the Apple Online Store, Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. AirPort Extreme is available for a suggested retail price of $199 (US). AirPort Time Capsule comes in two models: 2TB of storage for $299 (US) and 3TB of storage for $399 (US).

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/2018.html
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me likey. I can't wait until the other Macs get 802.11ac. That 1.3Gbps should be awesome for moving around files and media. I hope the Apple TV gets it soon as well.
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm anxious to see one in person. It sort of looks strange in the pictures.
STL Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to see them moving away from wall mountable cases. This new thing will require a shelf, old units could be easily mounted on wall behind TV.

Last edited by STL Mark on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STL Mark wrote:
I hate to see them moving away from wall mountable cases. This new thing will require a shelf, old units could be easily mounted on wall behind TV.

I was thinking the same thing. I just hope they don't think about stretching out the Apple TV and Mac mini in the same way. But at that point, I guess a Mac mini becomes a Mac Pro.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Texark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they release an AirPort Express soon with the new standard. I was just about ready to buy one, but now I shall wait.
castaway

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not crazy about the new design. Or that it lacks USB 3.0 for AirDisk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: