123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Gives Sneak Peak at Next Mac Pro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Apple Gives Sneak Peak at Next Mac Pro Reply with quote

Apple Gives Sneak Peak at Next Mac Pro
Monday, June 10, 2013
Posted by: Staff

Apple today showed a sneak peek into the future of the pro desktop with a first look at the next generation Mac Pro. Designed around a revolutionary unified thermal core, the Mac Pro introduces a completely new pro desktop architecture and design that is optimized for performance inside and out. With next generation Xeon processors, dual workstation-class GPUs, Thunderbolt 2, PCIe-based flash storage, and ultra-fast ECC memory, the new 9.9-inch tall Mac Pro packs an amazing amount of power into an incredibly small package.

"With the latest Xeon processors, dual FirePro GPUs, ECC memory, PCIe-based flash and Thunderbolt 2, all built around a revolutionary thermal core, the next generation Mac Pro is the most radical Mac yet," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "All this performance and expandability is packed into a dramatic new design thatís one-eighth the volume, and best of all, it will be assembled here in the USA."

The next generation Mac Pro is architected around an ingenious unified thermal core that allows the desktop to efficiently share its entire thermal capacity across all the processors. The result is a pro desktop with breakthrough performance packed into a design that is one-eighth the volume of the current Mac Pro. Next generation Intel Xeon E5 processors with up to 12 core configurations deliver double the floating point performance. With two AMD FirePro workstation-class GPUs, the all-new Mac Pro is up to 2.5 times faster than the current Mac Pro and delivers up to an amazing 7 teraflops of compute power. The new Mac Pro also features PCIe-based flash storage that is up to 10 times faster than conventional desktop hard drives and includes the latest four-channel ECC DDR3 memory running at 1866 MHz to deliver up to 60GBps of memory bandwidth. With all that power, the new Mac Pro lets you seamlessly edit full-resolution 4K video while simultaneously rendering effects in the background.

The next generation Mac Pro is the most expandable Mac ever built. With six Thunderbolt 2 ports that can deliver up to 20Gbps of bandwidth to each external device, Mac Pro is perfect for connecting to external storage, multiple PCI expansion chassis, audio and video breakout boxes, and the latest external displays, including 4K desktop displays. Each of the six Thunderbolt 2 ports supports up to six daisy-chained devices, giving you the ability to connect up to 36 high-performance peripherals. Thunderbolt 2 is completely backwards compatible with existing Thunderbolt peripherals, and allows you to transfer data between Macs faster and easier than ever.

The next generation Mac Pro will be available later this year.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/2017.html
epic_ed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It kinda looks like the evil offspring of R2D2 and Darth Vader. Twisted Evil

I do wonder about the price though. Anyone care to guess the entry point?
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not crazy about the design, but I would be interested around the $1500 price point for something with a single processor. If they even offer anything like that. I'm not too familiar with the Intel Xeon E5 processors or the core counts they offer.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: M Pro Reply with quote

epic_ed wrote:
It kinda looks like the evil offspring of R2D2 and Darth Vader. Twisted Evil

I do wonder about the price though. Anyone care to guess the entry point?
About $2200 I guess perhaps. the entry model.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sort of reminds me of the Cube in a way. I wonder how long it will take for someone to come out with a clear case to see those awesome looking innards? That would be pretty cool. That being said, I still think the 2010-current Mac minis are better looking. They have a more traditional Apple style about them.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that Jobs was all about, that I agree with, is getting rid of cables. Yet this new Mac Pro is gonna need hella cables since just about everything but the CPU is external.

Spec wise, it's pure awesome sauce!

Price? As is, it's packing some expensive stuff. Xeons aren't cheap. FirePros aren't cheap. Plus, with everything being external, that's a few ThunderBolt cables to use your PCI chassis, and work bench RAIDs. I'm thinking closer to $3k.

SC

[edit]Xeons, not Xenons![/edit]

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!

Last edited by Smithcraft on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not going to be a cheap machine.

I'm with Smithcraft and say they will start at $2999. The top model will probably sell for $3999. Not sure if they will still sell a server model. Although, this machine is a little more rackable at 10" tall.

I also agree about the cable mess it should create. That is the price you pay for a true desktop though.

As for the design, it's not that bad. I could definitely live with one for half the price. How about you sell me one for $1500 to beta test Mr. Cook? Laughing
Texark

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see how being assembled in the US helps the value proposition either. Even though I like the fact they are.
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said: with that configuration it seems more like a "Mac mini Pro" than a real Mac Pro.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that cables are the price you pay for a desktop.

I think a Pro system needs an optical drive. No ODD in the new Mac Pro. Cable.

I think a Pro system needs storage right there, not only in a NAS. No HDDs in the new Mac Pro. Cables.

Having both of these internally would eliminate cables.

Another thing about the price - Machined Aluminum housing, which I presume will be anodized. Not cheap, and one ding and it's not gonna look cool anymore.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
Another thing about the price - Machined Aluminum housing, which I presume will be anodized. Not cheap, and one ding and it's not gonna look cool anymore.

It's certainly easy to ding aluminium trash cans, which basically offer the same shape and styling. Laughing

Smithcraft wrote:
I think a Pro system needs an optical drive. No ODD in the new Mac Pro. Cable.

A slot loading drive on the top would have been neat. That being said, it would have totally blown the thermals and airflow. I do gree with the need for optical drives. Heck, I think Apple dumped them too soon in general. I can see it with the Air or MBP with Retina, but not a desktop. It's one of the reasons I still love my 2010 Mac mini. Even though I have a newer one with much better performance. I use it for ripping and playing DVDs all the time.
castaway

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to make one hell of a nice media center computer for rich lads out there. Especially when you think about its 4K capabilities and diminutive size.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone seen pictures or video from the Pixar seminar? I was hoping it might show them in action with benchmarks and stuff.
iLife's a Bitch!
shahzad10

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried to find video from the Pixar seminar but it couldn't found in search engine.

Last edited by shahzad10 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:42 am; edited 1 time in total
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

castaway wrote:
This is going to make one hell of a nice media center computer for rich lads out there. Especially when you think about its 4K capabilities and diminutive size.

It certainly will for the very rich. I was listening to MacBreak Weekly and their latest guess for a starting point is around $2999.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: