123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates MacBook Air

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Apple Updates MacBook Air Reply with quote

Apple Updates MacBook Air
Monday, June 10, 2013
Posted by: Staff

Apple today updated MacBook Air with all day battery life, fourth generation Intel Core processors with faster graphics, 802.11ac Wi-Fi and flash storage that is up to 45 percent faster than the previous generation. The ultimate everyday notebook is now an even better value, with 11-inch models featuring double the storage and 13-inch models starting at a new lower price of $1,099.

"MacBook Air is the industry leader for thin and light notebooks, and now with longer battery life, we've set the bar even higher," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "With faster flash, more powerful graphics and up to 12 hours of battery life, the new MacBook Air packs even more performance into the portable and durable design our customers love."

The new MacBook Air features power-efficient fourth generation Intel Core i5 and Core i7 processors that give the 13-inch MacBook Air up to 12 hours of battery life and up to 10 hours of iTunes movie playback. The 11-inch MacBook Air delivers up to 9 hours of battery life and up to 8 hours of iTunes movie playback. MacBook Air now supports next generation 802.11ac Wi-Fi for wireless performance that is up to three times faster when connected to an 802.11ac base station. New Intel HD Graphics 5000 gives MacBook Air up to 40 percent faster performance for gaming and graphics intensive apps, and new flash storage provides speeds up to 45 percent faster than the previous generation and nine times faster than traditional hard drives.

MacBook Air is available today through the Apple Online Store, Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. The 11-inch MacBook Air comes with a 1.3 GHz processor with Turbo Boost speeds up to 2.6 GHz, 4GB of memory and is available with 128GB of flash storage starting at $999 (US), and 256GB of flash storage starting at $1,199 (US). The 13-inch MacBook Air comes with a 1.3 GHz processor with Turbo Boost speeds up to 2.6 GHz, 4GB of memory and is available with 128GB of flash storage starting at $1,099 (US), and 256GB of flash storage starting at $1,299 (US). Configure-to-order options include a 1.7 GHz Intel Core i7 processor with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.3 GHz, up to 8GB of memory and up to 512GB flash storage. Additional technical specifications, configure-to-order options and accessories are available online.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/2016.html
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one puts me in a quandary. I have a 2011 MBA with 2 years left of AppleCare. My one complaint with it is that I get only 4-5.5 hours battery life and this is with turning down the backlight and low-intensity use. Related to this, it loses 5% of battery time for each 12 hours of sleep, a lot more than what you would expect with 30 days of standby time. However, given that the design is the same and the clock speed of the new Haswell is only 1.3 ghz (vs 1.7 in my MBA), the advantages of upgrading are restricted to better (much better) battery life and faster graphics. Is this worth approximately $600; my estimate for the cost of a new MBA with tax, less what I think I can get for my 2011?
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to wait for now. But then again, I was really hoping for an rAir.

Have you thought about waiting for Mavericks Fox? It's going to bring some power savings features to the table that might help as well.

The performance gains over the 2011 models are still about the same too.

http://www.primatelabs.com/blog/2013/06/macbook-air-benchmarks/

You're also sitting pretty with AppleCare, so why budge at this point? Unless you really want or need that extra battery life and 802.11ac.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also wait for Mavericks. The Timer Coalescing technologies might give your current Air an extra little boost. Enough so to hold you over until Apple does something more exciting with the Air. Or to allow more time for those power saving technologies to be optimized for Haswell and beyond. By the way, it also gives third party retailers time to discount the new models. You'll probably be able to save another $100 by the fall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: