123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seagate to stop making 2.5" 7200 RPM drives

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Seagate to stop making 2.5" 7200 RPM drives Reply with quote

It's soon going to be a SSD world for sure when WD and Hitachi follow suit.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2029993/seagate-to-halt-production-of-7200-rpm-laptop-hard-drives.html
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Seagate to stop making 2.5" 7200 RPM drives Reply with quote

Ben Tex wrote:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2029993/seagate-to-halt-production-of-7200-rpm-laptop-hard-drives.html
I think HD will still be around for a long time. SSD are expensive and people cannot afford to buy them to.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can only hope that WD and Hitachi are smarter. Then again, considering the failure rates Phil had with Seagate, I don't know if that's a bad thing.

Perhaps in the end there will be just one company making 7200 RPM laptop sized drives and they will have the market to themselves and Seagate will look at that juicy market and get back into it.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes na na na na na na na na heyyyyyy goodbye!!!

I hate seagate they fail and fail and fail because of bad firmware on the hard drives no thank you i say bye bye
Brendan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they see the writing on the wall. The are only getting out of the 7k2 market and concentrating on 5k4 and hybrid. They are biding their time until they have a foot in the SSD market. There will probably be a market for large, slow, spinning disks for the foreseeable future.

Brendan
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Seagate Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
yes na na na na na na na na heyyyyyy goodbye!!!

I hate seagate they fail and fail and fail because of bad firmware on the hard drives no thank you i say bye bye
Seagate I understand is flopping badly on their hard drives and quality control now.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
We can only hope that WD and Hitachi are smarter. Then again, considering the failure rates Phil had with Seagate, I don't know if that's a bad thing.

Perhaps in the end there will be just one company making 7200 RPM laptop sized drives and they will have the market to themselves and Seagate will look at that juicy market and get back into it.

SC

To be fair seagate had the first 500 gb 7200 rpm on the market aug-sept 2008 .. It was terrible but first. 14 purchased dated aug 2008 - feb 2009. 8 bad. then 4 of the 8 replacements were bad. But they have been better as of late.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
jduffy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Seagate to stop making 2.5" 7200 RPM drives Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
Ben Tex wrote:

I think HD will still be around for a long time. SSD are expensive and people cannot afford to buy them to.

Companies do not care what some people may not be able to afford. They care about market direction and what makes them money.

HDs are becoming a thing of the past. SSDs are the future. In five years HDs are going to become scarce. In 10 years, spinning HDs will be a thing of the past.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Seagate to stop making 2.5" 7200 RPM drives Reply with quote

jduffy wrote:
marv777 wrote:
Ben Tex wrote:

Companies do not care what some people may not be able to afford. They care about market direction and what makes them money.

HDs are becoming a thing of the past. SSDs are the future. In five years HDs are going to become scarce. In 10 years, spinning HDs will be a thing of the past.
I sincerely doubt that. I guess you are referring to apple also.
jduffy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Seagate to stop making 2.5" 7200 RPM drives Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
jduffy wrote:
marv777 wrote:
Ben Tex wrote:

I sincerely doubt that. I guess you are referring to apple also.

....and you are entitled to your opinion as am I. We'll see.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm split over jduffy's comment.

I certainly agree that companies don't care what people can afford, however, it makes more sense(even to a MBA) to not price your products out of consideration. Nobody wants to get a loan for a hard drive!

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
jduffy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
I'm split over jduffy's comment.

I certainly agree that companies don't care what people can afford, however, it makes more sense(even to a MBA) to not price your products out of consideration. Nobody wants to get a loan for a hard drive!

SC

LOL, well I was not inferring that they price all their products beyond the reach of a majority, what I meant was that a company does not produce and price products that everyone can buy, nor do they continue to produce old and outdated technology because it is cheap and can be afforded by most.
warp9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:

SC

yeah, how's it help a company if only the 1% can afford their products?

I guess if you're Rolls Royce, that's OK.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: