123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sound on Macmini (new April 2013)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moonraker

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Sound on Macmini (new April 2013) Reply with quote

I have just started using this and cannot get sound on Skype. I can get video OK. Bu there is no sound. I currently only have inbuilt sound - no headphones or mike. Nor can I hear BBC Radio. All appears to be working ok but no sound comes out. Any ideas? There is sound when I start/reboot.

I am new to Macmini which I am running partitioned with Windows 8 and Mac. I am currently using W8 to try and get sound.

Hints and tips very welcome!

TIA
MrMini

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOLD DOWN Option Key, click on Speaker Icon, click Sound Preferences, it may be muted..
Moonraker

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Sound on Macmini (new April 2013) Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip which was useful though sadly did not get me sound. I can see the graphics showing that sound is going on but still cannot hear anything. When I tried to test the sound on start-up option I could hear nothing even tho I can when it does start Smile None of the test options work, though I can see the sound graphic moving!
MrMini

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem like something is muted or not checked or uncheck
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd try plugging in some external speakers or headphones to test the sound card is ok.

You might just have a faulty internal speaker. My mini is an older model but the speaker sound is very tinny and quiet so I'd never use it on its own.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Moonraker

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Sound on Macmini (new April 2013) Reply with quote

Thanks for the help so far folks. I have now got the sound working on radio broadcasts, and can hear Skype ringing. What still remains is the microphone bit of Skype. It will not record my voice. I have three options and have tried each one in turn but none will record.
Any suggestions working for working on tomorrow. Off to other challenges! Thanks again
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What microphone type are you using? A "PC" mic, with a pink 3.5mm mini-jack plug won't work - although the mic plug fits the Mac's socket, the Mac is expecting a much stronger line-level signal than such mics put out.

You need:
- a USB mic, or
- a mic built into a webcam (also USB?) or
- a mic-to-USB convertor, like a Griffin iMic.
Moonraker

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Sound on Macmini (new April 2013) Reply with quote

Thanks Mooblie - I think tht is the answer. Will need to source new mic then. Job for tomorrow. Many thanks
STL Mark

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it is worth I use an inexpensive Bluetooth headset that I have for phone use and pair it with the MM when I want a microphone. It works great and gives me the ability to listen to content without disturbing others.

I picked the Platronics M50 due to it's long battery life, inexpensive cost and it will pair with two devices.

Last edited by STL Mark on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Moonraker

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Sound on Macmini (new April 2013) Reply with quote

Thanks STL - just picked up your tip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: