123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help me troubleshoot network connection issue...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carboncow

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: help me troubleshoot network connection issue... Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a 2011 MM 2.0 running dual 500Gb in mirror mode with 8GB of RAM, running mountain lion server. It's been humming along for 6 months with only 1 reboot.

This machine is run fairly bare bones as it only runs Fusion to run a virtual Windows Server 2008 instance.

Last night I lost communication at 4:00am with both systems. Today I came in the headless mini's light was on but again couldn't connect via VNC. I restarted the system and all seems well, but...

As Ping both the server and the virtual system on it the server is showing packet loss in the order of 4% although VNC never losed connection. The odd part that rules out hardware failure is that the virtual system never has an issue...it's 100% pinging even when the host server is saying "no".

I'm actually considering a RAM and SSD upgrade to this server this summer and will move the virtual instance to a temporary system.

Can anyone suggest what may be at work here? I know in the windows world people would say things like your network stack is bad and needs recompiled or a reinstall of the OS will fix this. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this?
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can help you but you won't like it...

Let me explain why this is happening see windows server 2003-2008 has a small issue it has to do with a new security patch released by microsoft the security patch fixes the o.s both on 2003 and 2008 to dial home to verify the servers serial number the issue is that while it does this it send a new command into virtual machines that they dont understand and lock the packet loss at a huge or low rate

the fix use one or the other not both if you wanted to use server 2008 i would have used boot camp and booted it that way.

also you might want to be aware of the security issues with 2008 server there are several back doors to which hackers can nail you out of your own machine also with the new copyright informant system they have in place in several countries your isp can now search your servers for files and bust you for copyright violations also remember that your server if connected to your network updates itself and decides to download certain patches or updates watch out!!!

Here is why

"Several isp's have a bandwidth limit if your server exceeds the limits of the network from which it is attached your isp can block your internet access for 1 year comcast has started doing this because of too many cloud servers on there network at one time"
carboncow

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info...can you supply any information to back this up? Is this based on recent patches?

Your claiming now that nobody in the world can use 2008 in a virtual environment w/o this issue? This seems questionable. Especially since I have 2008 running on a Virtual box system and see no similar concern.

All our updates come from an internal WSUS server and we load the latest updates to our severs nightly. Additionally, this is on a 20mbps download business class connection with unlimited bandwidth...our ISP has no concern with copywrite concerns with us nor I'm not sure how this would impact our packet loss for one server in our LAN.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: