123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mail issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiat

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Mail issue Reply with quote

Hi, My Mail app has just recently broken out a puzzling and annoying problem: one of my att-yahoo email accounts was/is not able to connect to the server and constantly asking enter the password again and again! I remember it's the master account of the 7 and believe it's the only one I accidentally checked the "remember the password" when setting up the account. Now just can't figure out how this would start to happen? And the repeating panel asking for pw is crazy and of too much annoyance. Anyone knows how to resolve this? Thanks for help.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually this happens to me when Mail has issues connecting to the account. Perhaps att-yahoo changed something and that is throwing Mail a curve? Check with att-yahoo to see how to configure Mail and it might make it better.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
MrMini

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem I downloaded Thunderbird and no more problems..
fiat

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SC, Thanks. Yeah it's suppose att-tech should help. But they always say they don't support 3rd party software app (Mail is one) -- unless you don't mind to pay for the special support line. I tried to log into my account online and check my mails. After that, until now, the problem seems gone. Hope it keeps resolved and won't return.

MrMini, Thanks for the info. But I don't want to change something just because it may have a rare unided problem. If no solution at the very end, then I may switch.
zedtvl

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem once in a while. It happened yesterday and two days ago...
MrMini

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiat wrote:
SC, Thanks. Yeah it's suppose att-tech should help. But they always say they don't support 3rd party software app (Mail is one) -- unless you don't mind to pay for the special support line. I tried to log into my account online and check my mails. After that, until now, the problem seems gone. Hope it keeps resolved and won't return.

MrMini, Thanks for the info. But I don't want to change something just because it may have a rare unided problem. If no solution at the very end, then I may switch.

In another forum a guy posted to change the passwords, but I did not want to go thru all that.
zedtvl

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to tell you sometimes make sure to synchronize accounts and put all accounts online. Sometimes Yahoo gets kicked out.
fiat

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zedtvl wrote:
I forgot to tell you sometimes make sure to synchronize accounts and put all accounts online. Sometimes Yahoo gets kicked out.

The problem came back! This is terrible.

zedtvl, will you pls elaborate "to synchronize accounts and put all accounts online"? Thanks
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is why people dont use yahoo yahoo is worthless when it comes to mail go google gmail or even use icloud its better by far
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a basic troubleshooting document at Apple which indicates using the Connection Doctor to diagnose the issue.

I did find some instructions at Yahoo on configuring you Mail, but it's for 10.5 and 10.6. I'd venture to guess that you're running 10.8, but it should still be helpful.

I see Yahoo is still promoting their Yahoo! Plus accounts. If the support is really that bad, I can see why they are in a pickle!

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
fiat

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SC, Thanks for the support links. They are helpful in general. This morning it seems the trouble suddenly gone quietly (don't know why). Used the 'connection doctor' to check connection status finding all accounts are normal except Gmail acc that can't connect to server. I don't worry about it cause never use it for email purpose, but must keep the acc in order to use google's free mobile phone app for my ipad. My @yahoo.com acc is fine.
zedtvl

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiat wrote:
zedtvl wrote:

The problem came back! This is terrible.

zedtvl, will you pls elaborate "to synchronize accounts and put all accounts online"? Thanks

On Mail you will see "File Edit View and Mailbox" you click on Mailbox you will see different options. This does not resolve the problem for any outgoing mail but often does it for the incoming one.
I sometimes use Onyx and restart my computer but yes it is very annoying.
fiat

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zedtvl, Thanks for the info. I tried Onyx and restarted right after the annoying thing, but no good. Today, so far, it seems self-cured. Cross my finger for tomorrow and ... GL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: