123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New APPLE laptop computer.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 590
Location: Livonia, Michigan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: New APPLE laptop computer. Reply with quote

New laptop computer.
MacBook Pro
15.4inch LCD. bright as cinemas.
Hair thinner than the 17".
Fastest notebook ever.
4-5x faster.
2 processors in every Macbook pro.
5.6lbs.
iSight, Front Row; $1999 1.67 Core Duo; 667 DDR bus, x1600; $2499 1.83GHz.
New Power Adapter is magnetically held in. If yanked, comes right out
IR sensor. Apple Remote.
.
iSight Camera.

Taking orders today.
Shipping in February.

FINALLY a Intel Mac Laptop!!!!!
_________________
13' Macbook 2.0ghz C2D w/2gb RAM and 120gb HD
G4 Mac Mini 1.42ghz w/1gb RAM, 80gb HD, SuperDrive, 160gb MiniStack
eMac 700mhz G4 PPC 1gb RAM 40gb HD, Combo drive
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo


Last edited by LouieMacGoo on Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 01 Apr 2005
Posts: 590
Location: Livonia, Michigan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15.4inch LCD. bright as cinemas.
Hair thinner than the 17".
Fastest notebook ever.
4-5x faster.
2 processors in every Macbook pro.
_________________
13' Macbook 2.0ghz C2D w/2gb RAM and 120gb HD
G4 Mac Mini 1.42ghz w/1gb RAM, 80gb HD, SuperDrive, 160gb MiniStack
eMac 700mhz G4 PPC 1gb RAM 40gb HD, Combo drive
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TheBattler
Member
Member


Joined: 08 Nov 2005
Posts: 79

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add that it can Dual-Boot into Windows. Don't know about 10.4.4 on a PC though.
_________________
1.83ghz Macbook, Stock, Dell 2007wfp


1.42 ghz mini, Bluetooth/Airport, 1gb Ram, Superdrive, 80gb 7200RPM (internal)

60gb 5th gen iPod
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 25 Jan 2005
Posts: 2766
Location: Virginia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheBattler wrote:
Forgot to add that it can Dual-Boot into Windows. Don't know about 10.4.4 on a PC though.


How long to you think that will take? I give it two weeks! Laughing
_________________
1.25GHz Mac Mini / 1.8GHz iMac G5 / 2.0GHz C2D Mac mini (2009)
4GB iPod mini / 2G iPod shuffle / 16GB iPhone 3G
Apple TV 2
iLife's a Bitch!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Posts: 2173
Location: Columbus, WI

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DANG IT APPLE!!

Less than a week before I plan on spending $1500 on a new linux workstation (and accessories), Apple has to come out with new, dual-core iMac and MacBooks! DANG IT!!

Dual core 1.83Ghz CPU, 667 MHz FSB, 256MB ATI X1600 (PCI-Express arch), built-in iSight, and all the other goodies...

Man...my fairly new iBook seems SO inadequate now... Smile
_________________
-=iMav=-
http://geekhack.org
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
caulktel
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 18 Feb 2005
Posts: 365
Location: Eagle Point OR USA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brand new 12 inch iBook is perfect. I predict that there will be nothing but problems with the new Intel computers at first, no matter what Steve is telling us. If my iBook becomes "inadequate" anytime in the future I will load linux on it and buy a Intel machine then, but for now, no way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 16 Aug 2005
Posts: 1444
Location: NYC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caulktel wrote:
I predict that there will be nothing but problems with the new Intel computers at first, no matter what Steve is telling us.


There may be a few problems with a few programs that rely on Rosetta for translation, but if you stick to the native versions of the software that come with the new Intel computers (iLife '06, iWork etc.) I'm betting it will be pretty seamless. Apple has been developing OS X for Intel parallel to the development of OSX for PPC for years now.

And yesterday Steve Jobs demoed Office for Mac apps running under Rosetta--I can't imagine any programs that are gunkier and more non-standard than they are.

They are shipping a mature product, contrary to what logic would recommend.

Smile

Jamie
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
poisonfist
Member
Member


Joined: 03 Aug 2005
Posts: 176
Location: Chicago-Tokyo-Boston

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
caulktel wrote:
I predict that there will be nothing but problems with the new Intel computers at first, no matter what Steve is telling us.


There may be a few problems with a few programs that rely on Rosetta for translation, but if you stick to the native versions of the software that come with the new Intel computers (iLife '06, iWork etc.) I'm betting it will be pretty seamless. Apple has been developing OS X for Intel parallel to the development of OSX for PPC for years now.

And yesterday Steve Jobs demoed Office for Mac apps running under Rosetta--I can't imagine any programs that are gunkier and more non-standard than they are.

They are shipping a mature product, contrary to what logic would recommend.

Smile

Jamie


I agree with you about the software side but I think what caulktel is refering to is more hardware driven. There have always been some glitches in new hardware no matter what, but with such a radical change with the motherboard architecture, there may be more than a fair share of troubles than what we saw with the TiBooks, iBooks, etc. in the past.



g5g5 wrote:
TheBattler wrote:
Forgot to add that it can Dual-Boot into Windows. Don't know about 10.4.4 on a PC though.


How long to you think that will take? I give it two weeks! Laughing


I don't think it will even take that long. From 10.4.1 being cracked to run on generic Intel boxes, each update has been cracked in a shorter timeframe. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone figuring it out to run on a generic box by the end of the week.
_________________
Mac since '86


328i sport package
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 16 Aug 2005
Posts: 1444
Location: NYC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poisonfist wrote:
There have always been some glitches in new hardware no matter what, but with such a radical change with the motherboard architecture, there may be more than a fair share of troubles than what we saw with the TiBooks, iBooks, etc. in the past.


Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I'm betting that Apple has spent a lot of time vetting these machines. I think they may be relatively problem-free for rev. A hardware, given the intense microscopic public scrutiny these machines will be under. Any problem at all would be a public relations disaster for Apple, much more so than usual given the raised stakes, and I think they know that.

Smile

Jamie
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 16 Aug 2005
Posts: 1444
Location: NYC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, here's a quote from a story on macintouch.com:

"Intel CEO Paul Otellini, who emerged from a cloud of smoke, wearing a clean-room-style bunny suit and carrying a 12-inch semiconductor wafer, during the keynote, said Intel had deployed 1,000 people to work on the Apple transition. Some of them, according to Nathan Brookwood, an analyst at Insight64 who's very knowledgeable about Intel, among other things, actually designed the new machines' logic boards for Apple, and in doing so they used standard Intel chipsets, from the new 945/955/975 Express chipset family Intel announced last week. All of that should increase the likelihood that Windows will boot and run reliably on the Intel-based Macs, but it's no guarantee."

So Intel designed the motherboards, and used Intel components? Not sure if that will make them more or less problematic.

Laughing

Seriously, I think that's a good sign.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SStreet
Member
Member


Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Posts: 77

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those of you on the fence about the x86 10.4.4 -- remember, Steve Jobs has already admited to running 10.x on Intel since the day it was first compiled (some years ago now) (see his Keynote speech from the original Intel CPU switch announcement.)

I believe this is the reason that the systems are ready "early" -- he probably left room in the timeline for problems that didn't occur.

I'm giving serious looks at the MacBook Pro -- I want it now!

And Intel does have a fantastic system design -- they came to our shop to sell us on Itanium and explained how much high-end servers and low-end desktops really get the same parts. PCI-X, PCI-Express, etc etc... just the chips that implement it are different by features provided.

RAID, or GigE, or VGA.. etc etc
_________________
iMac 20" Intel Duo Core, 2G RAM, 250G HDD
Display Extended to 19" Samsung 930B LCD

Mac Mini 1.42GHz, 1G, 80G/4200RPM
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
poisonfist
Member
Member


Joined: 03 Aug 2005
Posts: 176
Location: Chicago-Tokyo-Boston

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
poisonfist wrote:
There have always been some glitches in new hardware no matter what, but with such a radical change with the motherboard architecture, there may be more than a fair share of troubles than what we saw with the TiBooks, iBooks, etc. in the past.


Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I'm betting that Apple has spent a lot of time vetting these machines. I think they may be relatively problem-free for rev. A hardware, given the intense microscopic public scrutiny these machines will be under. Any problem at all would be a public relations disaster for Apple, much more so than usual given the raised stakes, and I think they know that.

Smile

Jamie


Optimism is a great personal quality, I should try to be a little more optimitic at times.
_________________
Mac since '86


328i sport package
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
caulktel
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 18 Feb 2005
Posts: 365
Location: Eagle Point OR USA

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I didn't think it would be that easy:
http://www.betanews.com/article/XP_Wont_Run_on_Intel_MacBook_iMac/1137003330

But no doubt they will get Windows working on them soon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Posts: 538
Location: Hawaii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caulktel wrote:
Well, I didn't think it would be that easy:
http://www.betanews.com/article/XP_Wont_Run_on_Intel_MacBook_iMac/1137003330

But no doubt they will get Windows working on them soon.


That's a real bummer for those who wanted to dual boot. I guess they'll have to wait for Vista.
_________________
2.4GHz MacBook Pro/4GB/320GB HD
2.26GHz Mac mini/4GB/500GB HD
16GB iPhone 3G
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheBattler
Member
Member


Joined: 08 Nov 2005
Posts: 79

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OGN wrote:


That's a real bummer for those who wanted to dual boot. I guess they'll have to wait for Vista.


Those that were serious about running Windows on their new Intel Machines would have probably waited for vista on it's own anyways.
_________________
1.83ghz Macbook, Stock, Dell 2007wfp


1.42 ghz mini, Bluetooth/Airport, 1gb Ram, Superdrive, 80gb 7200RPM (internal)

60gb 5th gen iPod
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



      

Shop:  Apple Store  |  Refurbished Macs  |  Refurbished iPads  |  MacConnection  |  Mac Mini Vault  |  Other World Computing

MK 1 Studio Mac mini Racks  |  Crucial Mac Memory  |  Top Free Mac Apps  |  Top Paid Mac Apps



123Macmini.com is an independent publication and has not been authorized, sponsored, or approved by Apple Computer, Inc.
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owners.
Copyright © 2011 123Macmini.com. All Rights Reserved.