123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OWC Intros Envoy Pro EX Storage Solution

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: OWC Intros Envoy Pro EX Storage Solution Reply with quote

OWC Intros Envoy Pro EX Storage Solution
Tuesday, April 30, 2013
Posted by: Staff

Other World Computing today announced the release of their new Envoy Pro EX ultra-portable SSD storage solution. This stylish anodized aluminum drive features a SandForce Driven OWC Aura Pro 6G SSD on the inside for super fast transfer rates of up to 500MB/s. It also sports a bus-powered USB 3.0 interface on the outside, so you can enjoy all of that performance on the go, without having to bring an AC adapter along for the ride. The Envoy Pro EX is available now in two models (240GB and 480GB), with prices starting at $319.99.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/2001.html
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking drive. The price is reasonable as well.

I'd like to see someone actually getting 500MB/s through USB3. When I tested my Samsung 6G SSD in an OWC 6G USB 3 enclosure I average reads ~ 300MB/s and writes ~ 250MB/s

USB3 is 5Gb/s 5000/8 = 625MB/s maximum
USB3 can only support that in one direction at any given time.

Perhaps you can read at 500MB/s or read at 500MB/s, but not both at the same time.

If anyone else has had speeds anywhere near 500 MB/s with USB3, please post your results.
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get around 260MB/s read and write with a Samsung 830 series SSD in a regular old 2.5" SATA enclosure from Rosewill. I think 500MB/s is just theoretical Bandit Bill. OWC even states this one is in the 400MB/s range if you click through, which actually seems high to me too. Perhaps some chipsets are just better than others? I'm not really an expert in this area.
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish they sold one of these without the drive. I've been looking around for a new enclosure and think it's pretty sharp. That being said, it probably wouldn't be cheap.
Brendan

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelSpinners wrote:
I wish they sold one of these without the drive. I've been looking around for a new enclosure and think it's pretty sharp. That being said, it probably wouldn't be cheap.

They probably don't since they require the MBA form factor hard drive, not the standard 2.5 format. You would have to buy the drive from them as well.

Brendan
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brendan wrote:
WheelSpinners wrote:

They probably don't since they require the MBA form factor hard drive, not the standard 2.5 format. You would have to buy the drive from them as well.

Brendan

It looks like you can actually buy one, but you're totally right about the form-factor Brendan.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MAU3ENVOYPRO/
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
Brendan wrote:
WheelSpinners wrote:

Brendan

It looks like you can actually buy one, but you're totally right about the form-factor Brendan.

Quite interesting on both accounts. Thanks guys.

This is also particularly interesting if you ever plan on upgrading the internal storage in your Retina Display MBP
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! I assumed it used a standard size 7.0-9.5mm SSD. I'm going to keep that enclosure in mind though. I plan on getting MacBook Pro with Retina before the end of the year. You never know what the future could bring for upgrades.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

319.99 is a nice price tag!!!

I dont think so i can purchase a regular external hard drive for 180.00 with 9x more storage
Brendan

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
Brendan wrote:
WheelSpinners wrote:

Brendan

It is interesting that the Envoy page doesn't list the 0G option.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
319.99 is a nice price tag!!!

I dont think so i can purchase a regular external hard drive for 180.00 with 9x more storage

Yes and you can wait 7X longer for it to do its thing. Hardly fair to compare pricing on such dissimilar technologies.

I'm curious macman, have you ever owned an SSD drive?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: