123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SBBOD w/16GB of ram
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
904GTS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: SBBOD w/16GB of ram Reply with quote

Greetings! Newbie here so play nice please.

I recently moved my home office and MM hasn't been the same since. It's a late 2012 model with a core i5 2.5mhz and 16GB of Ram.

Not too many intensive programs, I run Google chrome for my browser, and time machine for backup. With exception to itunes, tomtom & garmin software, most of my applications are web based. Since moving it, I get that damn beachball ALL THE TIME. Need to force quit almost all software. Rarely does it spin for less than 5 min at a time. I ran activity monitor and its telling me I have only 5-15mb of free memory. How is that possible?

I D/L some free memory app and while it worked for a little while, it's back to its old tricks. Migrating from the PC world was an easy transition, but this just makes me want to pull what little hair I have left, out.

Thank-you.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

Run the diagnostics software as indicated above.

You still have warranty did you purchase AppleCare as well?
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its not due to faulty ram, reducing the amount you have available then have a look in Activity Monitor you can find it in the Application Utilities folder.

This will list all of the processes running on your system. You can sort the list by clicking on the column headings. Sort on the Real Mem column and look for the app thats using the most and stealing all your memory.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
904GTS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: SBBOD & 16GB of Ram - Continued... Reply with quote

Well, I ran the diagnostics as you suggested. It came with no fault found. Looking at the activity monitor as I type... it does show:

PID 125 - UserEventAgent 22.4% & climbing - 4 Threads 1.50GB & climbing
PID 38 - loginwindow 2.8% CPU & wavers up & down - 3 Threads 1.75GB & climbing
PID SystemUIServer 7.7% & climbing - 6 Threads - 1.80GB & climbing.

The real memory climbs in unison. If the UserEventAgent is at 1.80, so are the other two.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said you tried a memory free up application do you remember the name of it because some of those are malware and spyware and can cause extreme memory use in order to do background tasks like monitoring you and your bank accounts please what is the name of the application please...
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
You said you tried a memory free up application do you remember the name of it because some of those are malware and spyware and can cause extreme memory use in order to do background tasks like monitoring you and your bank accounts please what is the name of the application please...

Re macmans comment. You could boot into safe mode and see how thing are running, to help determine if it is software related.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1455
904GTS

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: SBBOD w/16GB of ram - Continued Reply with quote

So I booted this thing up this evening and it came up with a little box that says:

Your Mac OS X startup disk has no more space available for application memory.

"To avoid problems with your computer, quit any applications you are not using. Closing windows and removing files from your startup disk will also help."

It highlights inside the box:

iPhoto & Finder.

Can someone tell me in English what this means and the fix for it? I'm ready to toss it and go back to a PC.

Thanks
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: SBBOD w/16GB of ram - Continued Reply with quote

904GTS wrote:
So I booted this thing up this evening and it came up with a little box that says:

Your Mac OS X startup disk has no more space available for application memory.

"To avoid problems with your computer, quit any applications you are not using. Closing windows and removing files from your startup disk will also help."

It highlights inside the box:

Can someone tell me in English what this means and the fix for it? I'm ready to toss it and go back to a PC.

Thanks
How much memory do you have?
904GTS

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: SBBOD W/16GB of ram Reply with quote

Just as the title says, 16GB Ram.

In addition:
500GB HDD of which 145GB Used
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: SBBOD W/16GB of ram Reply with quote

904GTS wrote:
Just as the title says, 16GB Ram.

In addition:
500GB HDD of which 145GB Used
I would bring your unit to a Apple Provider to see what is wrong.Something is not right.
904GTS

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: SBBOD w/16GB of ram - Partial Solution Reply with quote

Well, here's some food for thought.

I turned off Time machine, removed the small 320GB external HDD and hooked up a 2TB external drive I had lying around. Poof! No start-up issues. WTF???

So ok, I don't get the dreaded "No memeory on startup" BS and it doesn't crash as often, but it still does crash (SBBOD) which requires a reboot and more wasted time.

What does Time Machine have to do with startup? If I had a full HDD, yea, maybe, but on the internal 500GB HDD, 349GB is free. Amazingly, memory leakage has stopped as well.

Interested in hearing the groups thoughts on this one
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is weird as heck
904GTS

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: The Saga continues Reply with quote

Contacted Apple Support. After what felt like an eternity but really only an hour or so by telephone, their answer was essentially "no clue, try reformatting the drive & call us back if there's an issue"

Great response. It's at the top of my list.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Saga continues Reply with quote

904GTS wrote:
Contacted Apple Support. After what felt like an eternity but really only an hour or so by telephone, their answer was essentially "no clue, try reformatting the drive & call us back if there's an issue"

Great response. It's at the top of my list.

The first step is determining whether you are experiencing a hardware or a software issue. Especially when your computer is still covered by warranty. Why would you want to spend hours of your time if the issue would have been covered by warranty?

If you tried hours of troubleshooting and you still don't know whether you are having a hardware of software issue, formatting the drive is the simplest way to make the determination.

You can clone your entire hard drive to an external and move it back again, it's not a big deal.

I always make bootable clones of my systems when my system is working properly so I can determine whether or not I'm having a hardware or a software issue within minutes and I can always go back to that state if needed.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this makes me not want to purchase a i5 or even a i7 mac mini just for this reason because when something goes wrong apple cant even fix it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: