123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buy now or wait ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macfandave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Buy now or wait ? Reply with quote

I am serioulsy considering buying a new i7 mac mini - so is it worth waiting for the new 2013 version or not ? in other words how can they improve on what already sems a very fast spec apart from speed and size of the hdd ?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't even consider waiting. The i7 quad core is a very fast machine. If you want faster get a fusion drive or SSD.

The next generation chips will offer better graphics performance, but if that is what you need, iMacs are available today.
macfandave

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may wait, perhaps they will up it to a 2TB hard drive also which would be great for me

How much RAM with the current graphics card and do the USB 3.0 ports work with Windows 7/8 under boot camp ? ie the speed is USB 3.0 ?

New one around November time I guess ?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macfandave wrote:
I may wait, perhaps they will up it to a 2TB hard drive also which would be great for me

How much RAM with the current graphics card and do the USB 3.0 ports work with Windows 7/8 under boot camp ? ie the speed is USB 3.0 ?

2TB 2.5" drives do not exist. Likely they won't exist in November either.

I've new tested USB 3 speeds under Windows. Good question, but someone else will have to comment. I can't see why there would be an issue.
macfandave

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
macfandave wrote:

They do exsis now it seems or this is some non standard size for external then ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007IA3S22/ref=pe_208621_34970521_email_1p_0_ti
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macfandave wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
macfandave wrote:

They do exsis now it seems or this is some non standard size for external then ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007IA3S22/ref=pe_208621_34970521_email_1p_0_ti

It appears to be a 2TB 2.5" drive. News to me. I thought 1.5TB was the largest currently offered in a 2.5" form factor.

I looked up the specs on Western Digital's site and it's a 15mm drive height. That is hugely tall. People have had success getting 12.5mm drives into Mac minis with modifications... so perhaps where there is a will there is a way. The mini is designed to support a 2.5" drive with a 9.5mm drive height.

If you really need the storage space and it needs to be internal you can always get a mini with 2 hard drives inside it. ie. the server model or buld your own with 2 drives.
opinio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macfandave wrote:

If you want 2TB you could always add a 960GB SSD to the 1TB OEM and fuse it. Or add the SSD to a HGST 1TB 7200rpm like I have in my fusion. Super fast and massive space.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: