123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fan noise with 2012 mac mini ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
macfandave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Fan noise with 2012 mac mini ? Reply with quote

I read about how the fan kicks in when the 2012 mac mini is being put to full use, so how loud is it really as with my 2009 version I have never heard the fan !
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It quieter than your 2009 model fan, so likely you'll never hear it either.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan noise with 2012 mac mini ? Reply with quote

macfandave wrote:
I read about how the fan kicks in when the 2012 mac mini is being put to full use, so how loud is it really as with my 2009 version I have never heard the fan !
I have the basic MM model and I never hear the fan at all.It is the 2011 model.
opinio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fan is not noisy for me on my i7 quad 2.6. When it is pushing the cpu at 100% the fan will run at max 5500rpm but it is not that bad. Having said that, if you are sleeping in the same room or the mini is very close to you then the full rpm on the fan could be irritating after a while. The 2012s have a newer fan design to the 2011 so they are quieter.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Fans Reply with quote

opinio wrote:
The fan is not noisy for me on my i7 quad 2.6. When it is pushing the cpu at 100% the fan will run at max 5500rpm but it is not that bad. Having said that, if you are sleeping in the same room or the mini is very close to you then the full rpm on the fan could be irritating after a while. The 2012s have a newer fan design to the 2011 so they are quieter.
Just enjoy your MM and that is it.Nothing is perfect in life.
opinio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Fans Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:

Thank you for greatly assisting me with how to live my life.
macfandave

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

opinio wrote:

Ah yes this is what I am wondering about :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPlBesOTYX0

hmm so loud really but what do you expect guess, impossible for total silence with an i7 quad core
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macfandave wrote:
opinio wrote:

hmm so loud really but what do you expect guess, impossible for total silence with an i7 quad core

Did you read the comments on the YouTube video? The dude just exported 100-150 minutes of 1080P video.
If your highly tasking the processor the fan can ramp up. Mac minis have small fans so when they do need to move air they have to do it at a high RPM.

There can be a lot of other variables involved. Ambient temp, hard drive installed, RAM installed, tasks performed. You mentioned that you've never heard the fan on your 2009 mini, so there is even less chance that you will ever hear the fan on the new model.
macfandave

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
macfandave wrote:
opinio wrote:

Did you read the comments on the YouTube video? The dude just exported 100-150 minutes of 1080P video.
If your highly tasking the processor the fan can ramp up. Mac minis have small fans so when they do need to move air they have to do it at a high RPM.

There can be a lot of other variables involved. Ambient temp, hard drive installed, RAM installed, tasks performed. You mentioned that you've never heard the fan on your 2009 mini, so there is even less chance that you will ever hear the fan on the new model.

Yes bit of an extreme example, anyway I've waited so long so I will pobably wait for the update later in the year...
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good example of the worst case scenario.

Keep in mind that it was recorded with a phone as well. Whenever you are picking up air movement with a microphone it always sounds worse than it is. Plus who puts there head at the back of their computer after transcoding 150 minutes of 1080P video. 2 minutes later and the computer would have been back to normal operating state.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched the video and the guy comments on it, as his encoding sessions ends he says "just finished processing" and the mini immediate ramps down to quiet again and he pats it on the lid saying good job mac mini.

I can't say I have ever heard mine ram up, even when I first bought it and spent a couple of days using it to rip and encoding all my DVDs. I left the mini ripping and encoding and I worked away at the side of it on my iMac.

I have to say my Mac's are the quietest computers I've ever own. With my old PC's it sounded like I was in a wind tunnel the fans were noisy all the time. Sad

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Fans Reply with quote

opinio wrote:
marv777 wrote:

Thank you for greatly assisting me with how to live my life.
I tell the truth thank GOD you have good health nothing more is important than this. The rest is just material.
opinio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macfandave wrote:
opinio wrote:

No... It's not loud? It's actually very quiet most of the time. It is only when the temp is over 90-95 that you hear the fan. Even then it is ok. I have 5 macs (1 core 2 duo, 2 i5s and 2 i7s). They are all similar in noise when the CPU is maxed out.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this iDea - Get a thumb drive and put Handbrake on it. Get the biggest version of Big Buck Bunny and put it on it.

Take the drive to the local Apple retailer, put the drive in( get permission first! ), and process Big Buck Bunny with Handbrake.

That should get the CPU temp up, and you can hear it for yourself.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
LeChuck

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fan noise with 2012 mac mini ? Reply with quote

macfandave wrote:

The 2012 Mac-mini is my first mini, so I can't compare the fan noise to previous models. That said, when the graphics card gets taxed (watching movie or working on large files in Photoshop), the fan noise gets very loud. I can even hear it while wearing closed headphones and while talking on Skype.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: