123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New iMac, Mountain Lion and a "broken" Epson scann

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacUser_Since_1986

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: New iMac, Mountain Lion and a "broken" Epson scann Reply with quote

For years, I've used an Epson Perfection 2400 Photo flatbed scanner with its included excellent EpsonScan software. I can scan photos, negatives, slides and multi-page documents, newspaper articles and more with ease, saving the images as JPEGs, TIFFs or even multi-page PDFs.

Recently, my aging MacBook Pro (2,2 running MacOS 10.6.8 ) died. I had to quickly find a replacement. I bought a refurbished late-2012 iMac (running MacOS 10.8 ). It was, of course, inevitable that I would find some things "broken" when I fired up the iMac and started integrating it into my workflow. The Epson scanner turned out to be one of the "broken" items. Epson Scan software will not launch at all now.

Epson tries to funnel MacOS 10.8 users over to Apple's ImageCapture for scanning, but ImageCapture is like going back to the early 1990s when it comes to a scanning workflow. A significant portion of my scanning is multi-page official documents that I scan into PDFs so they can be shared. Epson Scan made that easy.

Am I "fetched up, hard aground" on the shoals of Mountain Lion? It doesn't look like this (scanning) boat is going anywhere. What are my options?

-MY MACHINE:
iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8 ), late-2012 Core i5, 8GB RAM, 1 TB HD
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent years using flatbed scanners and what a pain they were. When I switched to the mac I learned about the Fujitsu Scansnap range and quickly bought a Scansnap S510M this is an amazing document scanner. I even bought a windows version for work it was that good. They handle multi page documents with ease and scan both sides of a page at the same time and with a 50 page sheet feeder you can quickly scan in very large documents in a matter of a few minutes. In the time it would take me to scan a single page on my flatbed this Fujitsu would have scanned 10 or more double sided pages and OCR'd them and saved them as a pdf.

They aren't a cheap option, but they are worth the money.

If your main workflow is A4 documents then I would seriously give one of these a look at. They may have improved since I bought mine but I tend to still use my old canon flatbed for the photo's and negatives though.

http://scanners.fcpa.fujitsu.com/scansnap11/

Mine is a good few years old now, from the list above the ix500 is the modern version of it.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could give VueScan a try and see if it works for you.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes VueScan is a good call. Cool I had an old flatbed that I couldn't find drivers for when I first got a Mac, but someone suggested Vuescan and sure enough if had its own working drivers for my scanner.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S

Last edited by Cypher on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Microtek scanner hasn't been supported by Microtek since OS X 10.2. There was a hack to install the software in 10.3, but after that I figured VueScan would be easier to deal with.

I think there was also another application for scanning, Silver something, but I found it was a "Professional" application, and had a "Professional" price to go with it. However the images looked iDentical to VueScan.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be SilverFast:
http://www.silverfast.com/

...but I use VueScan too!
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used VueScan for a while with a Canon scanner before getting an all-in-one from HP. It worked well and was a definite step beyond using Image Capture.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know this sounds completely nuts!!!

Why not purchase a new all in one scanner printer combo there are several for mac os x that even scan in hd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: