123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non-Apple branded laptop?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Non-Apple branded laptop? Reply with quote

I was just wondering something since there are so many nice people open to alternative ideas in computing. Meaning being open to buying other branded computers. So.... what brand laptop would you be interested in other than Apple? Or have faith in them as a good brand. I'm currently looking at one of the new Samsung Series 7 ultrabooks with a touchscreen. I don't think I've ever purchased anything from them on the computing side, but it's a really nice machine. All the bells and whistles with a 1920x1080 touchscreen. I've also given some thought to the Carbon touchscreen from Lenovo, but it's pricey. I'm just not sure about computers from Samsung or Sony. They've had less than stellar reviews in the past. I would totally be open to buying the 13" MacBook Pro with Retina, but I need something right away and it doesn't fit into my budget of around $1000. Looking for a little input I guess.

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/laptops/NP740U3E-A01UB-features
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally, I would avoid HP, but I'm interested in the x2 Envy, or Envy x2.

It's a tablet/keyboard combo, that runs Windows8 a bit slow, but it's cheaper than a SurfaceRT, and can run any Windows app, not just those from the Windows App Store.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
HP Envy x2.

My wife bought one at Office Depot and we returned it a couple days later. It had issues with the volume control (sound), screen (6-8 dead pixels) and weak wi-fi. The volume issue are pretty well known turns out. It just cuts off all the time, needing a restart of the system. The restart doesn't take long, but it's a pain the neck. She also didn't care for the placement of power button, which is on the back of the tablet. It's right where your hands are and easy to activate. The performance of the Atom chip wasn't too bad though. It actually felt snappy. So, she returned the HP and bought the Vivotab Smart from Asus. It's a really nice Windows 8 tablet for the money. I think she got it for around $450. You might want to take a look into that one.

I like the Samsung Series 7 and 9 ultrabooks Ben Tex. The are right up there in quality with Apple. They also shine in the screen department, which is to be expected with Samsung. They make the best screens for everything.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the problem with reviews at most sites. They don't really get you that kind of info. Thanks blazer!

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
FrankBoys

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acer is better, long battery life, attractive design and low-cost.
MrMini

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always bought ASUS or Lenovo, no problems and still working, but I dual boot into Linux..
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Asus Reply with quote

MrMini wrote:
I have always bought ASUS or Lenovo, no problems and still working, but I dual boot into Linux..
I have owned both previously and they both worked well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: