123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RAM: 1 X 8 Gb or 2 X 4 Gb, which is faster?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Rosso
Member
Member


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 81

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: RAM: 1 X 8 Gb or 2 X 4 Gb, which is faster? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Can I ask which is a faster option, 1 X 8 Gb or 2 X 4 Gb? I'm looking for fast RAM. I'm currently plagued by the beach-ball of death on lowest spec 2012 mini. Thanks
_________________
Mac mini
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 5970
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2X4GB is faster.

Here is an excerpt from Crucial Memory explaining why.


Two channels handle memory-processing more efficiently by utilizing the theoretical bandwidth of the two modules, thus reducing system latencies, the timing delays that inherently occur with one memory module. For example, one controller reads and writes data while the second controller prepares for the next access, hence, eliminating the reset and setup delays that occur before one memory module can begin the read/write process all over again. Think of it like two relay runners. The first runner runs one leg while the second runner sets up and prepares to receive the baton smoothly and carry on the task at hand without delay. While performance gains from dual-channel chipsets aren't huge, they can increase bandwidth by as much as 10 percent. To those seeking to push the performance envelope, that 10 percent can be very important.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rosso
Member
Member


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 81

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
2X4GB is faster.

Here is an excerpt from Crucial Memory explaining why.


Two channels handle memory-processing more efficiently by utilizing the theoretical bandwidth of the two modules, thus reducing system latencies, the timing delays that inherently occur with one memory module. For example, one controller reads and writes data while the second controller prepares for the next access, hence, eliminating the reset and setup delays that occur before one memory module can begin the read/write process all over again. Think of it like two relay runners. The first runner runs one leg while the second runner sets up and prepares to receive the baton smoothly and carry on the task at hand without delay. While performance gains from dual-channel chipsets aren't huge, they can increase bandwidth by as much as 10 percent. To those seeking to push the performance envelope, that 10 percent can be very important.


Thank you very much. Have just ordered 2 X 4 Gb Kingston HyperX
_________________
Mac mini
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 19 Jun 2006
Posts: 4573
Location: Howell NJ USA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosso wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
2X4GB is faster.

Here is an excerpt from Crucial Memory explaining why.


Two channels handle memory-processing more efficiently by utilizing the theoretical bandwidth of the two modules, thus reducing system latencies, the timing delays that inherently occur with one memory module. For example, one controller reads and writes data while the second controller prepares for the next access, hence, eliminating the reset and setup delays that occur before one memory module can begin the read/write process all over again. Think of it like two relay runners. The first runner runs one leg while the second runner sets up and prepares to receive the baton smoothly and carry on the task at hand without delay. While performance gains from dual-channel chipsets aren't huge, they can increase bandwidth by as much as 10 percent. To those seeking to push the performance envelope, that 10 percent can be very important.


Thank you very much. Have just ordered 2 X 4 Gb Kingston HyperX



one of my favorite ram choices. most of us only need the 8gb and kingston is the fastest.
_________________
2010 Mm 2.4 C2D oem 320gb hdd 8gb ram
2012Mm base 2.5 with 16gb ram diy fusion drive
2012Mm quad with 8gb ram oem 1tb hdd

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Rosso
Member
Member


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 81

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
Rosso wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
2X4GB is faster.

Here is an excerpt from Crucial Memory explaining why.


Two channels handle memory-processing more efficiently by utilizing the theoretical bandwidth of the two modules, thus reducing system latencies, the timing delays that inherently occur with one memory module. For example, one controller reads and writes data while the second controller prepares for the next access, hence, eliminating the reset and setup delays that occur before one memory module can begin the read/write process all over again. Think of it like two relay runners. The first runner runs one leg while the second runner sets up and prepares to receive the baton smoothly and carry on the task at hand without delay. While performance gains from dual-channel chipsets aren't huge, they can increase bandwidth by as much as 10 percent. To those seeking to push the performance envelope, that 10 percent can be very important.


Thank you very much. Have just ordered 2 X 4 Gb Kingston HyperX



one of my favorite ram choices. most of us only need the 8gb and kingston is the fastest.


Thanks for the recommendation Phil, you sir are a top man!
_________________
Mac mini
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



      

Shop:  Apple Store  |  Refurbished Macs  |  Refurbished iPads  |  MacConnection  |  Mac Mini Vault  |  Other World Computing

MK 1 Studio Mac mini Racks  |  Crucial Mac Memory  |  Top Free Mac Apps  |  Top Paid Mac Apps



123Macmini.com is an independent publication and has not been authorized, sponsored, or approved by Apple Computer, Inc.
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owners.
Copyright © 2011 123Macmini.com. All Rights Reserved.