123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple TV Software Update 5.2.1 Released

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Apple TV Software Update 5.2.1 Released Reply with quote

Apple TV Software Update 5.2.1 Released
Tuesday, March 19, 2013
Posted by: Staff

Apple today released the Apple TV Software Update 5.2.1 for the second and third generation Apple TV. According to the company, this update includes improvements for software update, subtitles, and general performance. It also includes a totally redesigned Hulu application and support for iTunes in the Cloud in Japan and Israel. More information on updating your Apple TV can be found here.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1987.html
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to see Apple continually updating Apple TV.

Personally I don't update my Apple TV because it is jailbroken, but honestly if Apple continues to make improvements, I may just update some day. I'd already update if I had a 2011 or newer Mac that supported wireless video mirroring. I'm already missing out on Bluetooth keyboard support, by not updating.
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hulu update looks nice, but you can't seem to browse shows alphabetically anymore. That's a setback in my mind for discovering and finding content.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aquaman wrote:
The Hulu update looks nice, but you can't seem to browse shows alphabetically anymore. That's a setback in my mind for discovering and finding content.

I've personally never browsed alphabetically. Normally it's by genre etc. For me, I only search alphabetically when I know exactly what I'm looking for.

I do search by keyword once in a while ie. beach, lagoon, summer.
Living in Canada I often want to watch warm weather shows Smile

I don't know why they would take away an alphabetical search. Sometimes you sort of know the name or can't quite spell the name of a title. Alphabetical search can be very handy. Come to think of it, it can be an interesting way to find movies you may otherwise never discover. Let's try the letter "Q" today. Smile

How did you normally use it Aqua. I'd be interested in knowing.
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could browse all TV shows alphabetically (A-Z) in the menu before. I just thought it was easier to find and discover things that way. I guess it was a little more like browsing the old Front Row menus. Perhaps I'm not explaining it right.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aquaman wrote:
You could browse all TV shows alphabetically (A-Z) in the menu before. I just thought it was easier to find and discover things that way. I guess it was a little more like browsing the old Front Row menus. Perhaps I'm not explaining it right.

I think I understand what you are getting at. Often when things are categorized or if you have similar search patterns, you don't quite the same randomness of an alphabetical search.

I can relate it to record stores. Normally things are categorized by genre then alphabetical. Often I found new music this way. Perhaps you went to look for Rolling Stones and you were introduced to Ramstein or Rihanna.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I'd already update if I had a 2011 or newer Mac that supported wireless video mirroring.

Bill, I mentioned last time that I flashed mine when the last update was announced so mine is no longer Jailbroken. I find it much more reliable than the jailbroken 4.4.1 I was using to run plex. I always found that very flakey and it frequently locked up.

I did really wanted to run plex as all my media is in Plex but after flashing it I started to use an app called Beamer $15 and I have to say its been brilliant. I now just run Beamer on my iMac, wait for it to find my Apple TV, then drag a video file onto its window and it immediately starts to stream it to the Apple TV. The ATV remote still works allowing you to Pause, Play, Fast Forward and Rewind without any problems.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
I'd already update if I had a 2011 or newer Mac that supported wireless video mirroring.

Bill, I mentioned last time that I flashed mine when the last update was announced so mine is no longer Jailbroken. I find it much more reliable than the jailbroken 4.4.1 I was using to run plex. I always found that very flakey and it frequently locked up.

I did really wanted to run plex as all my media is in Plex but after flashing it I started to use an app called Beamer $15 and I have to say its been brilliant. I now just run Beamer on my iMac, wait for it to find my Apple TV, then drag a video file onto its window and it immediately starts to stream it to the Apple TV. The ATV remote still works allowing you to Pause, Play, Fast Forward and Rewind without any problems.

Very interesting, I've never heard of Beamer. I tried Air Parrot and it sucked. I have no interest in mirroring the desktop (nor the resources required), so Beamer may be the answer.

Currently my Apple TV is running stable. If the GF accidentally updates it (like she did before) and I lose my jailbreak. I'll certainly be looking at Beamer.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: