123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2011 Mac mini + Plex + Rokus = Happy house!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: 2011 Mac mini + Plex + Rokus = Happy house! Reply with quote

I'm back to having a Mac mini at the center of my media center. This time it also feeds two Rokus with PMS in other rooms. And man, it's awesome! I think it's the best multi-room setup ever for me. There are some delays here and there, but still awesome for the money. The Rokus also have nice remote apps for Android and iOS for out of sight control. So, is anyone else here running a similar setup? If so, do you feel the same way? I know one thing. The Roku blows away the Apple TV as far as standalone functionality. Well, at least until AirPlay support comes to Mountain Lion. The ballgame might change then. But take in mind, you can almost buy two Rokus for the same price.
unblowupable5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Mac Mini HTPC in my living room running EyeTV, Plex and a couple of other apps (controlled with a Harmony remote). I had been using a jailbroken AppleTV2 in my bedroom as a second Plex player. I was getting sick of the jailbreaking stuff, so on a whim I picked up a Roku LT for $50. Couldn't be happier with it. And I agree, it blows the AppleTV away. That could change if Apple opened an app store for it, but as of now I don't miss the Apple TV at all.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to take a closer look, seeing you guys are giving the Roku so much praise.

Personally I had no issue jailbreaking my AppleTV2, so I'd be interested in additional benefits. Currently running Plex server on my iMac, it is serving a jailbroken AppleTV2 upstairs and a 1.83 GHZ C2D Mac mini downstairs. I have the mini launch right into Plex upon boot up, but even if running the OS as soon as I press a button on my AppleTV remote the mini will launch Plex, so I don't even need to keep a keyboard or mouse around.
justmeee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in getting a Roku for my spare room. Right now I have my mini with plex in the main room. Most of my movies are MKV. How does Roku with plex handle MKVs and streaming?
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across a Mac app called Beamer this week and quickly gave the trail version a go. It worked so well with all the various files I threw at it that I decided to buy it and to give up with Plex on my jailbroken AppleTV.

Since running it I even found subtitles would work if I updated my ATV firmware to a later version. So Plex was ditched and I restored my AppleTV to the latest Apple firmware and I now have subs working with Beamer.

OK Beamer isn't in the same league as Plex and I don't have all the cataloging of Plex but as I still run Plex on my other devices its not too difficult to fire up Plex and have a look through my library for something I want to watch. Then if I want to sit on the sofa in the living room and watch it on the TV, I just mark it watched in Plex and then manually start the streaming by dragging the media file over to the beamer app. That's it, as soon as Beamer starts streaming the AppleTV turns itself on and all I have to do is turn on the TV and select the AppleTV input. The ATV remote even controls Beamer so I can still fast forward, pause etc.

Its well worth a look if you don't want a complicated setup.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
unblowupable5

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could just buy a Roku and install Plex from the channel store. That sounds way less complicated to me. But if your option works for you, then that's great too! Smile

Cypher wrote:
I came across a Mac app called Beamer this week and quickly gave the trail version a go. It worked so well with all the various files I threw at it that I decided to buy it and to give up with Plex on my jailbroken AppleTV.

Since running it I even found subtitles would work if I updated my ATV firmware to a later version. So Plex was ditched and I restored my AppleTV to the latest Apple firmware and I now have subs working with Beamer.

OK Beamer isn't in the same league as Plex and I don't have all the cataloging of Plex but as I still run Plex on my other devices its not too difficult to fire up Plex and have a look through my library for something I want to watch. Then if I want to sit on the sofa in the living room and watch it on the TV, I just mark it watched in Plex and then manually start the streaming by dragging the media file over to the beamer app. That's it, as soon as Beamer starts streaming the AppleTV turns itself on and all I have to do is turn on the TV and select the AppleTV input. The ATV remote even controls Beamer so I can still fast forward, pause etc.

Its well worth a look if you don't want a complicated setup.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unblowupable5 wrote:
Or you could just buy a Roku and install Plex from the channel store. That sounds way less complicated to me. But if your option works for you, then that's great too! Smile

Roku is cheaper than I thought it was going to be but its still 50 + Plex

Make that 80, as it would have to be the Roku2 XD to get an ethernet port. Wifi Streaming isn't the best and I'd always go for a wired connection given the choice but I might check one out as it looks a better option than an AppleTV if it's running Plex

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Jarola

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same setup with a roku in my daughters play room. Roku is an amazing plex client.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: