123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3 Update
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Apple Releases OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3 Update Reply with quote

Apple Releases OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3 Update
Thursday,March 14, 2013
Posted by: Staff

Apple today released the OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3 update via their Mac App Store and website for direct download. According to the company, this update is recommended for Mountain Lion users and includes features and fixes that improve the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, including:

- The ability to redeem iTunes gift cards in the Mac App Store using your Mac's built-in camera.
- Boot Camp support for installing Windows 8.
- Boot Camp support for Macs with a 3 TB hard drive.
- A fix for an issue that could cause a file URL to quit apps unexpectedly.
- A fix for an issue that may cause Logic Pro to become unresponsive when using certain plug-ins.
- A fix for an issue that may cause audio to stutter on 2011 iMacs.
- A fix for an issue in Contacts that may cause cards to print out of order.
- A fix for an issue that may cause the desktop picture to change after logging out or restarting.
- A fix for an issue in Messages that may cause messages to appear out of order after waking from sleep.
- A fix for an issue that may cause the screen to display incorrectly after waking from sleep.
- Improves compatibility with IMAP servers in the Notes app.
- Allows the Slideshow screen saver to display photos located in a subfolder.
- A fix for an issue in Contacts that may cause addresses to print in the wrong location.
- Reliability improvements when using a Microsoft Exchange account in Mail.
- Xsan reliability improvements.
- A fix for an issue that could cause Active Directory accounts to be locked out after accessing the Security & Privacy pane in System Preferences.
- A fix for an issue that could cause link aggregation to not complete after a restart.
- A fix for an issue that could cause delays when logging into an Active Directory account on high latency networks.
- Safari 6.0.3.

The OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3 update weighs in at 540.46 MB and requires OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2. Apple also released a Combo update for users looking to update from earlier versions of Mountain Lion.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1984.html

Last edited by admin on Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:18 am; edited 1 time in total
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

admin wrote:
- Boot Camp support for installing Windows 8.

An unexpected and welcome addition. I was beginning to think that Boot Camp was left for dead.
epic_ed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
An unexpected and welcome addition. I was beginning to think that Boot Camp was left for dead.

+1. I hope it goes beyond just basic support and adds gestures for the Magic Trackpad and MacBook trackpads.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a neat feature for redeeming physical gift cards. It seems like a feature perfect for iOS as well. In fact, one for all gift cards into Passbook.
iLife's a Bitch!
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to re-enter my iCloud password for some reason, but all seems well now.
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably should have waited, but everything appears to have gone smoothly. I think Apple actually took their time with this one, which is good.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fix for an issue that may cause the desktop picture to change after logging out or restarting.

This is the only issue that I was having. Pretty minor, but I'm glad it has been fixed.

I'm also glad that Bootcamp now supports 3TB drives without having to do a work around.
PipZippy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like 10.8.3 also fixes the issues with improper white levels coming through the late 2012 Mac mini's HDMI port. Yippee! Smile
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be surprised if they have fixed my freezing iMac graphic problem after all these years of ignoring the issue, but I'll back everything up and do the update over the weekend.

I guess I'll also get the patches ready as well so I can manually apply the fix as soon as my freezing problems occurs after the update Twisted Evil

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool release. Now, if Apple could focus on adding touch screens to their MacBooks I would be truly happy.
Squid3660

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With 10.8.2, my 2012 MacMini will not automatically go to screensaver as configured in system preferences. I have it set for 5 minutes, but it just does not work, even with no apps open. I have to use hotcorners to manually activate the screensaver. I wonder if this update fixes that issue?
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I backed up my files this morning and applied the update. Rebooted and my freezing iMac problem returned within minutes.

I patched my ATI Kext files again back to the ones for 10.6.2 and its been fine for several hours since Twisted Evil

devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
Cool release. Now, if Apple could focus on adding touch screens to their MacBooks I would be truly happy.

I sincerely hope that is their focus. Some of those Windows 8 touch based systems are really cool. In fact, we recently bought one for our daughter.

Squid3660 wrote:
With 10.8.2, my 2012 MacMini will not automatically go to screensaver as configured in system preferences. I have it set for 5 minutes, but it just does not work, even with no apps open. I have to use hotcorners to manually activate the screensaver. I wonder if this update fixes that issue?

Had a problem like that after upgrading to ML. Try finding your ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.screensaver.plist file and trashing it. Then delete it from your trash and restart. I think that's what fixed it for me.

Cypher wrote:
I backed up my files this morning and applied the update. Rebooted and my freezing iMac problem returned within minutes.

I patched my ATI Kext files again back to the ones for 10.6.2 and its been fine for several hours since.

That's freaking crazy. Was there ever a firmware update to address video issues with that model?
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
That's freaking crazy. Was there ever a firmware update to address video issues with that model?

Nope the last firmware for mine was in 2008 my problems started with the 10.6.3 update which was early 2010. Its been 3 years now and no fix from Apple, and there have been lots of iMac owners complaining and suffering with the same problem since then and we've all been ignored.

I'd probably have a new 27" iMac now but I've lost all faith in Apple and will hang on to what I have for as long as I can now before I part with any more money for Apple Hardware Sad

{Edit}

If you do a search on the Apple Forums for iMac Freezing 10.6.3 you'll see loads of posts since 2010 all complaining of the same thing. I dread to think how many people upgraded their equipment without working out that the problem started with the update. Sad

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
devo wrote:

Nope the last firmware for mine was in 2008 my problems started with the 10.6.3 update which was early 2010. Its been 3 years now and no fix from Apple, and there have been lots of iMac owners complaining and suffering with the same problem since then and we've all been ignored.

I'd probably have a new 27" iMac now but I've lost all faith in Apple and will hang on to what I have for as long as I can now before I part with any more money for Apple Hardware Sad

{Edit}

If you do a search on the Apple Forums for iMac Freezing 10.6.3 you'll see loads of posts since 2010 all complaining of the same thing. I dread to think how many people upgraded their equipment without working out that the problem started with the update. Sad

Why not just sell it and get a new or newer model?

The odd time Apple products have a problem that is never addressed, but this isn't common. Typically this is what makes Apple products great. If there is a known issue, it is usually addressed through a firmware update or a recall. Who better supports their hardware than Apple? I assume you are still going to make future computer purchases.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: