123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini 2011-2012 w/ Internal Superdrive : SUCCESS !
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geeji

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Other Internal DVD Drive Issues With Mountain Lion Reply with quote

Doing some quick Google research, it appears that many people had problems on hackintoshs when upgrading from Lion to Mountain Lion : volumes would not mount, internal SATA ODD would not be recognized, Eject button would not work, etc...
Considering that a 2012 Mac Mini with an internal ODD is, seen from OS X, some kind of exotic platform akin to a minor cousin from the hackintosh, looking at some of their solutions (like editing or copying Lion DVDPlayback framework onto Mountain Lion) may have some value, although the various problems may obviously be of completely different nature.
Unfortunately, I cannot test it for you, since I am still running Lion and intend to stay with it for some time.
Hope this helps...

Superdrive no longer working with Mountain Lion
4.5 + New Mountain Lion update = no dvd player usage
[SOLVED] Valid DVD Drive could not be found -70012 - Mountain Lion
Eject Button in ML
No Optical disc after Mountain Lion install

EDIT [2/16/2013] : see my post later on on Mountain Lion compatibility, verified on my Mac Mini (Mid 2011).
Mountain Lion is thus likely innocent of justbecause problem.

Last edited by geeji on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
Ignatzius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi chaps...

Does anyone have a source for the 9.5 mm optical drive is used in this project? I've been searching to no avail, and I can only come up with drives with an IDE interface, not a SATA interface. I've got everything else – I even bought a 2010 Mac Mini enclosure at great cost, but now the project seems to have stalled…

TIA,

Ignatzius
geeji

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a list of 9.5mm compatible SATA slot-in Superdrives :
Matshita UJ-867A/B
Matshita UJ-897A
Matshita UJ-868 (+)
Matshita UJ-898A (+)
Matshita UJ-8A8 (+)
Hitachi-LG GS20F / GS20N / GS21N
Hitachi-LG GS23N (+)
Hitachi-LG GS30N (+)
Hitachi-LG GS31N (= GS23N ?)
Sony Optiarc AD-5960S (+)
Sony Optiarc AD-5970H (+)

Those tagged (+) can be made region-less with flashing of a hacked firmware.
There is currently a brand new Hitachi-LG GS23N for sale on eBay.
The Sony Optiarc AD-5960S can be found on DHgate (make a Google search).

NOTE#1 : beware of a possible, unconfirmed, Mountain Lion issue (read above posts).
NOTE#2 : you could alternatively include a 9.5mm slot-in Blu-ray reader (Matshita UJ-167), or even a Blu-ray burner (Matshita UJ-267) although the price borders on the ridiculous...
Beware however that the cuts to perform on the optical drive could be more extensive (not so clear from the pictures I saw on the net).
Ignatzius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merci, geeji, I'll have a go at tracking them down...

Ignatzius
geeji

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geeji wrote:
justbecause wrote:
the drive shows up in system report..... but it wouldn't accept the cd like the electronic door doesn't suck it in, i tried multiple drives even the one out of my new macbook pro late 2012.... all same issue.... i but the super drive in a usb enclosure works via usb.. leave the dvd loaded put it back in the mini, it reports the drive is empty.... yes i tried both sata ports.... hdd works on both sata ports.. seem like apple disables odd support on the sata ports.... i really dont know how...
At that point, we have identified only those differences (you vs me) between our 2 systems :
1) Mac Mini late 2012 instead or Mid 2011
2) OS X 10.8 or 10.8.2 instead of OS X 10.7
3) Matshita UJ-8A8 or Hitachi-LG GS30N instead of Sony Optiarc AD-5960S

Well, I finally managed to install Mountain Lion 10.8.2 on an external FW disk, boot from it, and then check that a DVD is properly swallowed/ejected by my internal AD-5960S.
See screen capture below.

So that eliminates (mostly) difference (2) above as a probable cause of your difficulties; but for the same reasons as previously discussed, remaining differences (1) and (3) seem equally improbable.
At that point, my recommendation is still to do a clean install of Mountain Lion 10.8.2.
Here is the way I did it (just in case there is a subtle dependency) :
A/ Using a Mac Mini (Late 2009) with internal ODD :
- format an external SATA disk within a FW800 enclosure as a single GUID partition
- install Mountain Lion 10.8.1 (Generic version bought on App Store)
- install Mountain Lion 10.8.2 Update Combo
- install Mountain Lion 10.8.2 Supplemental Update
- eject the HD

B/ Using the hacked Mac Mini (Mid 2011) with internal hacked ODD :
- reboot on the prepared Mountain Lion HD
- check the ODD swallows/ejects DVDs properly.

Note that the only reason I prepared the Mountain Lion disk on an other Mac Mini 2009 is to minimize the unavalaibility time of the (shared) Mac Mini 2011.
If a clean install of Mac OS X does not take care of the problem, we are back to some mechanical issue...

Not Sure

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All!

Anybody else trying this with a Late 2012 Mini?

Found this thread a while ago and because I think the Mac Mini is the most amazing form factor, once Apple put USB3 into the Mini, I finally bought a late 2012 i7 Mini with the idea of putting in a BluRay drive.

Here is what I learned so far:

Try your local Apple authorized service center to get hold of the parts.

This completely surprised me but with the exception of the case (the one on eBay is definitely cheaper), the other bits seemed WAY cheaper directly from my local authorized service center than what I could find on the web.

So I am sitting here with that Mini in bit and pieces all over my desk and I don't seem to be able to put the main board back in.

Story so far:

I have a Panasonic UJ167

I did NOT have to make cut #4 & cut #5 because this drive is flat, nothing sticks out.

Cut #6 I did not make as this thing looks very fragile and it was optional

Made cut #2 but it does NOT seem to be needed on a late 2012 i7 mini

Trying to put the main board in I hit resistance

A PRELIMINARY investigation shows that there a capacitor sitting on the board which ends up with its center about 5 mm under the optical drive at the SATA connector on the opposite side of the ribbon on that connector.

When I put the board on the table together with the drive and its frame it is REALLY hard so see if this capacitor JUST fits while sitting against the optical drive OR if it is JUST a LITTLE bit too tall by like 0.5mm or so.

Also the edge of the optical drive carrier on the opposite/other side of cut #1 the edge of the carrier seems to he 2 mm higher than the optical drive drive.

Anybody have any suggestions/ideas?

Did I do something wrong or does it simply not fit on a late 2012 i7 mini?

Last edited by Not Sure on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Not Sure

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised that justbecause got this to fit because further investigation did reveal that capacitor to be in the way.

How do you upload a small image to this forum?
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Image - the forum doesn't host images, you need to upload the image to a website or hosting service, and put its URL between [img] and [/img] tags.
geeji

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Sure wrote:
Hi All!

Anybody else trying this with a Late 2012 Mini?

Found this thread a while ago and because I think the Mac Mini is the most amazing form factor, once Apple put USB3 into the Mini, I finally bought a late 2012 i7 Mini with the idea of putting in a BluRay drive.

Did I do something wrong or does it simply not fit on a late 2012 i7 mini

If you look at justbecause previous post, he used a 2012 Mac Mini too, and did not seem to have any mechanical fit issues, although he had an eject/insert problem.
Unfortunately, I do not have a 2012 Mac Mini, nor a UJ167.
The blu-ray UJ167 may be 1mm thicker than a standard Superdrive, which could explain your issue.
Note however that I had to slightly "nudge" the motherboard and the not yet screwed ODD holder before everything goes in nicely.

At that point, if you have ANY kind of 9.5mm Superdrive, I would give it a try in case the UJ167 is the problem.

Otherwise, put the ODD holder + ODD + mainboard OUTSIDE of the case, and see if they fit nicely or not.
That's doing that that I determined, after several iterations, all the cuts I needed.
Not Sure

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes I read he used a 2012 Mac Mini. I did put all the parts on the table and I am 100% sure it does NOT fit in a 2012 i7 Mac Mini.

There are no cuts you can make in the ODD which will fix the problem in this case. You need to cut the optical drive OR move the capacitor.

I have not yet measured the thickness of the UJ167 and I don't have another 9.5mm drive.

I guess I should post a picture. What image hosting service is recommended? Never used such a service before.
geeji

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am almost 90% sure your problem is the UJ167.
You did not make cut #4 & #5 because in the UJ167 the metal case continues "between the (non) protuding parts".
Without those cuts, an ODD WON'T fit.
Only way to be sure would be to measure the depth of the drive from the slot to the back : with a Superdrive, after cuts #4 & #5, the depth should be at least 5mm less than in your UJ167.
I am sorry, I am not at home presently, and thus cannot give you the corresponding dimensions.

At that point, your choice is either to switch back to a Superdrive, or find a way to carefully make the equivalent of cuts #4 & #5 to your Blu-ray drive near the slot.
And AFAIK, the problem is the same on 2012 and 2011 Mac Mini.

I apologize for encouraging you to try the Blu-ray path, which I could not test myself. They are so few 9.5mm Blu-ray ODD that we cannot even hope for one which would fit better Crying or Very sad
Not Sure

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geeji wrote:
I am almost 90% sure your problem is the UJ167.
You did not make cut #4 & #5 because in the UJ167 the metal case continues "between the (non) protuding parts".
Without those cuts, an ODD WON'T fit.
Only way to be sure would be to measure the depth of the drive from the slot to the back : with a Superdrive, after cuts #4 & #5, the depth should be at least 5mm less than in your UJ167.
I am sorry, I am not at home presently, and thus cannot give you the corresponding dimensions.

At that point, your choice is either to switch back to a Superdrive, or find a way to carefully make the equivalent of cuts #4 & #5 to your Blu-ray drive near the slot.
And AFAIK, the problem is the same on 2012 and 2011 Mac Mini.

I apologize for encouraging you to try the Blu-ray path, which I could not test myself. They are so few 9.5mm Blu-ray ODD that we cannot even hope for one which would fit better Crying or Very sad

Thanks for your reply and don't worry trying this is entirely my responsibility.

I looked at your picture again and I am not sure what I am looking at.

The UJ167 is entirely flat at the front end (slot side) and the gap there between the ODD frame and the drive is at most 1mm, if that.

on the back (connector side) the drive is flush with the ODD frame if the drive sticks out of the ODD frame at all, it is not more than 0.5mm

exactly like it looks in step28 here:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac+mini+Model+A1347+Optical+Drive+Replacement/3167/4

I do not have a superdrive so I can't measure it. Unfortunately no camera handy either.
geeji

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plot thickens...
I assume from what you said that you aligned the ODD in the ODD holder using the screws; note that screws fit only on one side, you have to use scotch foam tape on the other (flat half-size triangular part).
Beware that the ODD needs to be as close as possible to the TOP part of the case, and as far away as possible from the mainboard (bottom part), thus the need for thick foam tape.

If the UJ 167 is NOT the problem, difficult on the other hand to incriminate the 2012 version of the mainboard, since justbecause apparently succeeded, at least from a mechanical point of view.

I wont be home for 3 weeks, so I wont be able to give you the precise dimensions of a 9.5mm before then, sorry.
Not Sure

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geeji wrote:
The plot thickens...
I assume from what you said that you aligned the ODD in the ODD holder using the screws; note that screws fit only on one side, you have to use scotch foam tape on the other (flat half-size triangular part).
Beware that the ODD needs to be as close as possible to the TOP part of the case, and as far away as possible from the mainboard (bottom part), thus the need for thick foam tape.

If the UJ 167 is NOT the problem, difficult on the other hand to incriminate the 2012 version of the mainboard, since justbecause apparently succeeded, at least from a mechanical point of view.

I wont be home for 3 weeks, so I wont be able to give you the precise dimensions of a 9.5mm before then, sorry.

Yes there was no problem using the screws on the one side to screw the ODD to the ODD frame. There was also no problem to screw that assembly to the housing.

So I fail to see why I should have made those cuts?

I did NOT use the tape you mentioned, I used some folded paper to achieve the same aim. Because the frame screws to the housing there is no place to move for the drive anyway.

It DOES look like the connector pushes the drive from the housing BUT without the connector, the board would not fit either.

There definitely is a capacitor in the way.

I am looking at some other solution to solve this issue...
geeji

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may help if you could post photos of your ODD+frame+mainboard outside of the case, but zooming on the parts which collide.
When I made my own assembly, the SATA connector was never an issue, so your comment on it "pushing" the drive from the housing (did you mean frame ?) seems curious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: