123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Genius Bar at Apple Store sez use AEX as Modem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Expatgirl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Genius Bar at Apple Store sez use AEX as Modem Reply with quote

I'm setting up a new network with 3 wireless Macs, 2 network printers, 1 OOMA (voip), a ROCU. Seems simple enough with an Airport Extreme used as a router. Right? Here's the twist: This network is inside an internet wifi WAN environment. There is no ethernet plug in. No modem. No wired access to the signal. I have to catch the signal wirelessly and serve it on my private network. Apparently, this not a routine set-up?

I discovered that the AirportExtreme can be used as an extender OR a network router -- but not both at the same time. After I tried to set it up.

So, on my third trip to the Apple Store, this time at the Genius Bar, it was suggested that I also buy an AirportExpress, which would grab the wireless signal -- and then, via cat5, send it to the AirportExtreme -- which would think it was a modem and distribute the signal across the network. (I was told that all wifi routers can receive as well as send wireless signals, which I guess makes sense, but never occurred to me.)

So, I ask, does this sound right? Is this how it is done? Should I buy both the Extreme and Express? (Apparently a simple device that can open a LAN inside a wifi WAN does not exist -- yet.) Any protocols I should consider, since this setup is not documented anywhere? After reading the discussions here, I think if anyone would know the way to go, you guys would.

Thanks!
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no network expert but that sounds about right to me. I was actually going to suggest the same setup by adding an Airport Express to the existing wifi network and using that as the link to the Airport Extreme.

Is this existing wireless network an external Wifi network ?

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Expatgirl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, Cypher. Yes, it's an external network. An entire high rise decided to provide a very robust wi-fi array as a perk for tenants. But they didn't think it through and their solutions for forming networks were laughable. For example, they suggest using an old computer as a hot spot and leaving it on 24/7 and then hooking up a router to that. PC-type thinking. Their "solution newsletter" provided some eye-rollism at the Genius Bar.

But, at the same time, I am bemused that the concept of private networks inside a WAN is so alien. After all, the entire planet will be a full-grid hotspot soon, no? So what could be more natural?
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would recommend it as well the express can also be used to access the wireless to print from as well so if you need a printer that isn't wireless you can connect the printer to a express and because you are networking i would get two of them so you can have access to the network and access to the printer at the same time if needed but if you dont need the printer then dont bother
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going with the AirPort Express to connect to the wireless network and then distribute through Ethernet to the AirPort Extreme, for a new network with it's own security features, is really the best way to go. At least with products from Apple. I know that I'm currently using the older AirPort Express to extend and distribute Ethernet to an internet connected Samsung TV. One that did not have wireless capabilities built into the set. It works great. What you are planning to do would just take it the next level of distribution.
iLife's a Bitch!
Expatgirl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, g5g5.

That's just what I am going to do. Express and Extreme via ethernet. I'll use the Extreme ports for my wired devices.

So, I guess I connect the computer to the Express first to capture the signal. Then I connect the computer to the Extreme to form the network? I'm sort of lost at that point... Do I ethernet the Extreme to the Express first? If so, what port do I use to program the Extreme?

See what I mean? There are no documents for this.

Thanks for the help.
Brendan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To set up an express, plug it into the wall and then open the airport utility program on your mac. It should show up in the app. In the setup, choose "extend a wireless network." It might not work if the building wireless doesn't support or the owners choose not to support extending it. Here is Apple's setup instructions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: