123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Western Digital orSeagate External HD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbyvu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question. I have a Seagate XT 500GB HDD that won't read in my 2009 MM but when I hooked it to my PC with my HDD to USB adapter it shows an install on there. I was planning to use it as my boot drive in an external enclosure with FW800. Do you think its better to run an AC adapter since it will be my main drive or just powered through FW800? I will only be using this for iOS programming, I have 2 other PC's I use for Media and Gaming.

Thanks for your input
Texark

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobbyvu wrote:
I have a question. I have a Seagate XT 500GB HDD that won't read in my 2009 MM but when I hooked it to my PC with my HDD to USB adapter it shows an install on there. I was planning to use it as my boot drive in an external enclosure with FW800. Do you think its better to run an AC adapter since it will be my main drive or just powered through FW800? I will only be using this for iOS programming, I have 2 other PC's I use for Media and Gaming.

You should be okay with a bus-powered FW800 enclosure. Even if you are daisy-chaining another device behind it. Just reformat the drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), clone it with CCC or Superduper, and enjoy.
Backpacker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish someone would make a 4 drive enclosure that used Thunderbolt. The ability to set it up as RAID 1, 3, 5 or independent disks would be great too.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.jr.com/promise-technology/pe/PTY_RPR401US/

comes with 4 hdds 1tb size.

it is a refurb so you need to check warranty.

jr has free shipping and 5% off if you link with your discover card.

I have an r6 (6 drive version)

these units can use 4tb hdds ssds run jbod raid0 raid1

1 drive 2 drives 3 drives 4 drives

full price at apple they are 1099

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H5184VC/A/promise-pegasus-r4-4tb-4x1tb-raid-system

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Backpacker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should have said an "affordable" Thunderbolt 4 drive enclosure.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backpacker wrote:
I guess I should have said an "affordable" Thunderbolt 4 drive enclosure.

I think we all wish pro/sumer level gear came at affordable consumer level pricing.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah it would be more attractive at 250 and empty of drives. great gear.

My r6 has 3x 3tb western digital reds 2x 4tb hitachi 7200 rpm and 1 samsung 1 tb.

I was very lucky when i purchased it It was 1500 new with 6x 1tb hitachis.

I got it on a sale for 1250 I ordered 2 spare 1 tb trays. so 8x 1tb drives grand total of 1250 plus 210 or 1460. All ordered 2 days before the big flood in nov of 2011. Provantage honored the sale price. I pulled the 8x drives and sold them all on ebay at 150 a piece. so my net for an empty 6 bay beast of a box was about 300 or so. Over time I have had ssds in it and small 2.5 inch fit with no adapters as the bays have screw holes for 2.5 or 3.5 inch drives.

I got a good deal on the 3tb and 4tb hdds and the box now has 9 plus 8 plus 1tb in it. or 18tb. I will have room for years to come. the 3tb's are a 9tb raid the 2 4tbs are a 8tb raid and the 1 tb is a clone of my diy fusion. My 2012 quad has a diy 1.5tb fusion. So I have more then 19tb of room. All very fast.

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job on selling the 8 1TB drives. Your timing couldn't have been any better. $300 for an enclosure like that is awesome.

I remember going through the painful year of high hard drive prices. That flood really messed things up.

In the end I think it was a good thing as far as SSD price go. I think it helped drive SSD demand up, and SSD pricing down.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Nice job on selling the 8 1TB drives. Your timing couldn't have been any better. $300 for an enclosure like that is awesome.

I remember going through the painful year of high hard drive prices. That flood really messed things up.

In the end I think it was a good thing as far as SSD price go. I think it helped drive SSD demand up, and SSD pricing down.

I got very lucky with the flood. I had a lot of inventory when the flood happened. Sold it all off at a high price. I ended up a low cost t-b case and I moved to ssds. I think the flood was a good thing for ssds.

Grasshopper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
I got very lucky with the flood. I had a lot of inventory when the flood happened. Sold it all off at a high price. I ended up a low cost t-b case and I moved to ssds. I think the flood was a good thing for ssds.

Yeah, it was probably good for the market. Throw that on top of an oversupply of flash memory from a sinking PC market, and more competition in the marketplace, and we could continue to see prices fall. Maybe not down to the cost-per-gigabyte point of traditional hard drives, but much lower than they are today.
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: ram Reply with quote

Grasshopper wrote:
philiparcario wrote:

Yeah, it was probably good for the market. Throw that on top of an oversupply of flash memory from a sinking PC market, and more competition in the marketplace, and we could continue to see prices fall. Maybe not down to the cost-per-gigabyte point of traditional hard drives, but much lower than they are today.
More of an advantage for the consumer to save money now.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in all do honesty i like western digital my book essentials the new 2 tb hard drives are nice and power on only when the console or computer turns on which is nice i prefer western digital because i have had 5 seagates fail on me because of garbage firmware on the hard drive and when you need to update the firmware you have to go to a windows machine when it's on a mac it doesn't make any sense make a mac firmware flasher not that hard seagate.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: WD Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
in all do honesty i like western digital my book essentials the new 2 tb hard drives are nice and power on only when the console or computer turns on which is nice i prefer western digital because i have had 5 seagates fail on me because of garbage firmware on the hard drive and when you need to update the firmware you have to go to a windows machine when it's on a mac it doesn't make any sense make a mac firmware flasher not that hard seagate.
Western Digital sounds like a more durable drive and reliable.I was going to get a Seagate external hd but now i am considering the WD . Thanks
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problem
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: WD Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
no problem
That it is always important to listen to people have more knowledge and know how than myself who is really a novice with this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: