123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

recommend software
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way we will know for sure who is correct is with hindsight. Perhaps Sophos itself presents a back door that will get exploited.

I think what's most important is backing up important data.

I make a bootable clone when I first set up my system, prior to installing user data. Then I make a bootable clone along they way as I build my computer up with data. Important data ie. the stuff I create also gets stored on yet another external hard drive and burnt to DVDs for archival purposes.

At least I know I'll always be able to recover MY data. The remainder can always be reproduced.

For my photos, which is probably the stuff I care about the most, I burnt a DVD and mailed it to my brother for off site backup.

I personally don't run antivirus software. I work at an Apple reseller store. Any Mac security issue, I know about within 10 minutes of it taking place. I'm not at all worried.

You guys follow the forums obviously, you will know within the day.

I highly agree with Cyphers' thinking. If you are at all concerned about passing a virus on to a PC. It's best to stop it in its tracks. This is why some companies mandate the you run antivirus software, even if you are running a Mac.

Perhaps I'm being socially irresponsible by choosing not to run antivirus software, but that's my choice.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point is simply that 'currently' there are no viruses in the wild for Mac. To compare two tinfoil helmets and determine one is better than the other based on zero threat is therefore useless.

Safe net hygiene and not opening files from people you don't know is just common sense. And as Bandit says backups are a must.

I do agree with Cypher on the potential to piggy back something along to a Win user, and checking actively occasionally with a scanner could be useful.

Should the threat of Mac virus change, certainly I would reconsider. But currently it is unnecessary.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also install MPlayerX if you dont like vlc it does everything vlc does and more it provides a nice user interface and doesnt have video crash problems like vlc
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Virus Reply with quote

ez061111 wrote:
My point is simply that 'currently' there are no viruses in the wild for Mac. To compare two tinfoil helmets and determine one is better than the other based on zero threat is therefore useless.

Safe net hygiene and not opening files from people you don't know is just common sense. And as Bandit says backups are a must.

I do agree with Cypher on the potential to piggy back something along to a Win user, and checking actively occasionally with a scanner could be useful.

Should the threat of Mac virus change, certainly I would reconsider. But currently it is unnecessary.
To each has an opinion in life.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Virus Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:

However, you might want to back it with facts. An opinion on its own, is probably better not expressed. Same goes for blanket statements ie. Macs suck, PCs suck.

I'm not going to go through the expense and effort of making my home hurricane proof, when there has never been a hurricane in my area. Nor am I going to live my life as a Doomsday Prepper. But I do have my data backed up. If my system got a virus I could be up and running virus free within 2 minutes. (see previous post regarding bootable clone).
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Virus Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
marv777 wrote:

However, you might want to back it with facts. An opinion on its own, is probably better not expressed. Same goes for blanket statements ie. Macs suck, PCs suck.

I'm not going to go through the expense and effort of making my home hurricane proof, when there has never been a hurricane in my area. Nor am I going to live my life as a Doomsday Prepper. But I do have my data backed up. If my system got a virus I could be up and running virus free within 2 minutes. (see previous post regarding bootable clone).
The fact is Sophos is a good anti virus software and I have been using it with no problems for over one year.There is always a chance something unpredictable will happen in life. Nothing is certain.Even macs are vulnerable.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Virus Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
The fact is Sophos is a good anti virus software and I have been using it with no problems for over one year.There is always a chance something unpredictable will happen in life. Nothing is certain.Even macs are vulnerable.

Again, I don't doubt it has been working with no problem as there are currently zero viruses that can create a problem for you on the Mac. The fact is my lack of software works better and is infinitely more effective under the circumstances, there is no arguing with that fact.

If it makes you happy to use it groovy. Recommending it based on how great it does nothing and protects against nothing is just plain wacky. The king has no clothes.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Virus Reply with quote

ez061111 wrote:
marv777 wrote:

Again, I don't doubt it has been working with no problem as there are currently zero viruses that can create a problem for you on the Mac. The fact is my lack of software works better and is infinitely more effective under the circumstances, there is no arguing with that fact.

If it makes you happy to use it groovy. Recommending it based on how great it does nothing and protects against nothing is just plain wacky. The king has no clothes.
It is a good anti virus software and because you do not like it others may.Like i said Apple can be hacked it is not 100% guaranteed this cannot happen.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK OK!!! we get it Rolling Eyes

Marv likes running anti virus and thinks its the best.

and for the record its just the rest of us that don't and think its a waste of resources and money. Razz

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
OK OK!!! we get it Rolling Eyes

Smile
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, now, let's play nice. I personally respect Marv's choice, even though I don't run antivirus software. As mentioned in previous posts it can have some benefits, especially if you are working in a mixed PC environment.

I think our energy is better served by discussing backup software etc. Whether or not you run antivirus, eventually hard drives fail, computers get stolen, liquid damage, we purchase new machines and need to transfer data etc. These are items that will likely effect every Mac user within the next 5 years.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Software Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Now, now, let's play nice. I personally respect Marv's choice, even though I don't run antivirus software. As mentioned in previous posts it can have some benefits, especially if you are working in a mixed PC environment.

I think our energy is better served by discussing backup software etc. Whether or not you run antivirus, eventually hard drives fail, computers get stolen, liquid damage, we purchase new machines and need to transfer data etc. These are items that will likely effect every Mac user within the next 5 years.
You are 100% right Bill.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was playing nice. Razz and drawing a line under it.
We would have just gone around and around in circles saying oh yes it is, oh no it isn't. in the UK we'd say it was turning into Pantomime season

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Brendan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
We would have just gone around and around in circles saying oh yes it is, oh no it isn't. in the UK we'd say it was turning into Pantomime season

Don't quit now! I want to see how it turns out!
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Sophos Reply with quote

Brendan wrote:
Cypher wrote:

Don't quit now! I want to see how it turns out!
It turns out like I reiterated every person has their opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: