123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Internal HDD v USB SSD v Fw800 SSD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antz359

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Internal HDD v USB SSD v Fw800 SSD Reply with quote

I know this is a bit of a rehash of a old topic, but this is my experience with the above. Having looked into this there where a few older threads and lots of people saying it would be slow but a few who had tried it and where impressed with the results, I didn't fancy going into my MM as it is our main computer.

The SSD is a Crucial V4 256 GB 3Gb/s in a OWC Mercury on-the-go Fw800 enclosure, the USB connection was the Apricorn SATA wire.

I timed from switch on to Finder window opening

Internal HDD = 1min 28sec

USB SSD = 1min 11sec

Fw800 SSD = 49sec

Safari open in a split second, Picasa opens and closes without delay. so all-in-all I very pleased with the result, I know it would be fast internally but as I said earlier I didn't want to do that.
The other thing that helps it fly is the 8Gigs RAM it came with.
Cheers
A
1st new topic
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your internal HDD boot times are way too high. Go into System preferences and ensure that your internal drive is set as the default drive and then reboot.

I believe your system is trying to first see and boot from an external boot drive and wasting about 30 seconds doing so. When it doesn't find one, it then defaults to booting off of the internal drive.

This will keep on happening until you go into system preferences and set the internal as the default boot drive and reboot.

Even an internal SSD will take forever to boot from if the system is first trying to look for an external boot drive.
antz359

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bandit Bill
Check HDD again last night still get the same load times, did as you said. It has been like this since I got it.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not knowing exactly which internal HD you have, I would guess it's a 5400 of some flavor. It does seem a little slow, but I have and old SSD in a FW800 enclosure for quick maintanance and booting of my computers. It is certainly faster than booting than any of my internal HDD's by a long shot.

You might check what internal HDD you have under About this Mac, but I would guess it's probably a WD. If you were to feel adventurous, although not very challenging at all, you might consider moving the SSD internal and perhaps see 15-30 second boots.

All-in-all, as the small print states, user times may vary, but it looks in line with what I would surmise is normal. Smile
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
antz359

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The internal is a Hitachi 5400 rpm with two partitions, I'm happy with the sub 50 sec boot the Fw800 gives me for now

Did an Xbench speed test recently
Internal 5400 HDD=45
Fw800 SSD= 158
May in the future have a go at putting it in the MM, but not yet

Last edited by antz359 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antz359 wrote:
Hi Bandit Bill
Check HDD again last night still get the same load times, did as you said. It has been like this since I got it.

Strange, I've never seen boot times that high on a system with adequate RAM and no HD issues.

Oh well, at least you're happy with what you are getting from your FW boot.
antz359

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of an update
I changed the SSD in the Fw800 to a Crucial M4 256GB (SATAIII) and what a improvement, the old V4 (SATAII) was slowing down a bit with a boot time of approx 60sec. the new SSD boots in just over 30sec and apps load in a blink, so still very happy with the external method. Hope this is helpful for anyone looking at this method to speed up a mac without having to go inside. Of cause TB and USB3 will be much quicker.
Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: