123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Power switch
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron83

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Power switch Reply with quote

I'd like to know who thought it would be a good idea to put the power switch at the right rear, when the obvious place would be the front left. I like to think Jobs wouldn't have approved of this design flaw.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Power switch Reply with quote

Baron83 wrote:
I'd like to know who thought it would be a good idea to put the power switch at the right rear, when the obvious place would be the front left. I like to think Jobs wouldn't have approved of this design flaw.

Welcome!

Interesting hypothesis. As Steve apparently liked to be involved with all products before release and the first Mini was released years before his death, I would suggest that he didn't see it as a design flaw as he must have approved it. Personally I couldn't imagine it being on the front nor would I want it there.

Not off to a good start with your first post. Most of us acknowledge that Apple is not perfect, but this appears to be nothing more than a troll posting.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Steve Jobs would have hated to spoil the look of the mini by having a button on the front and this also applies to the iMac. I have a second monitor to the left of my iMac and its a real pain as I have to reach under and almost full stretch up to press the button. Its just as awkward with the Mini having to reach over to the back.

I'm sure Mr Jobs never had it in his mind that we would actually turn either device off and so having rear buttons wouldn't be a problem and I know that I should probably leave both devices in sleep mode as he intended, I know they use very little power in sleep mode. Unfortunately I'm still one of those people who turns stuff off when I'm not using it. This is more to avoid wear and tear rather than for power saving.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
Unfortunately I'm still one of those people who turns stuff off when I'm not using it. This is more to avoid wear and tear rather than for power saving.

There is probably more wear and tear and chance for damage with the constant off/on cycles and associated power spikes, as with most things electrical, if it's going to fail it will most likely be when power is switched on.
There is little to no wear and tear going on with a 'sleeping' apple computer.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jb wrote:
There is probably more wear and tear and chance for damage with the constant off/on cycles and associated power spikes

I know your right but I still don't like leaving it on when I'm not going to use it. Razz

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Power switch Reply with quote

Baron83 wrote:
Who cares as long as it works.
Brendan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly a design decision. Not as bad as having the SD slot on the back, though. Luckily for me, I never use it anyway.

Brendan
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Mac Mini Reply with quote

Brendan wrote:
Clearly a design decision. Not as bad as having the SD slot on the back, though. Luckily for me, I never use it anyway.

Brendan
Who designed this MM Johnny Ives I guess.he knows what he is doing i presume.
Brendan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Mac Mini Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
Brendan wrote:

Brendan

Don't presume; that's apparently what Apple designers did in this case and we got a power button and SD slot in barely accessible locations because of it. Form over function in this case.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Mac Mini Reply with quote

Brendan wrote:
marv777 wrote:
Brendan wrote:

Brendan

Don't presume; that's apparently what Apple designers did in this case and we got a power button and SD slot in barely accessible locations because of it. Form over function in this case.
So what as long as they both work correctly. No big deal really.
Brendan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a big deal, it's more of a philosophical discussion
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old Cisco/Linksys router doesn't even have a power switch. I had to unplug the power cable about once a month to reboot it prior to purchasing an Airport Extreme. My modem has a power switch and it's on the back. Lots of electronics have power switches on the back. The switch is closer to the power supply. More industrial switches can be installed without ruining the look of the product. There are many reasons why having the power button on the back is beneficial as far as electronic design is concerned .

If you press <Control>,<Option>,<Command>, <Eject> simultaneously
You can power off your Mac. 1/2 your problem is solved.

Why would you want to power off your mini all the time? Sleep mode is very power efficient. It's no different than turning your TV off with the remote. Your mini wasn't engineered to be fully powered off with each use, just like your microwave, TV, coffee maker, DVD player, Sony Playstation (industrial power switch on rear as well) etc. and other frequently used electronics.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: MM 2012 Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
My old Cisco/Linksys router doesn't even have a power switch. I had to unplug the power cable about once a month to reboot it prior to purchasing an Airport Extreme. My modem has a power switch and it's on the back. Lots of electronics have power switches on the back. The switch is closer to the power supply. More industrial switches can be installed without ruining the look of the product. There are many reasons why having the power button on the back is beneficial as far as electronic design is concerned .

If you press <Control>,<Option>,<Command>, <Eject> simultaneously
You can power off your Mac. 1/2 your problem is solved.

Why would you want to power off your mini all the time? Sleep mode is very power efficient. It's no different than turning your TV off with the remote. Your mini wasn't engineered to be fully powered off with each use, just like your microwave, TV, coffee maker, DVD player, Sony Playstation (industrial power switch on rear as well) etc. and other frequently used electronics.
Why would you keep a Mac Mini on 24 hours a day 7 days a week? To me this makes no sense at all.
Brendan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: MM 2012 Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
Why would you keep a Mac Mini on 24 hours a day 7 days a week? To me this makes no sense at all.

Not this again!
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: MM 2012 Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:

There are many reasons; your paygrade does not give you clearance to understand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: