123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mid 2010 optical drive alternative?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davey29

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Mid 2010 optical drive alternative? Reply with quote

Hi all, im new here and relatively new to the mac world. I bought a second hand mini (mid 2010) around 2 months ago. I went to insert a cd yesterday and the drive would not accept it. The mac still sees the drive in system info so i dont think its a software issue. Im fairly certain it needs a new drive.
Im considering undertaking the repacement myself as the quote i have had to get it done is extortionate.
I belive the drive thats in there is a GA32N but have not opened the mac up to check this, does anyone know of any other compatible drives or does it have to be this specific drive?
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it just has to be a compatible drive. What about other discs?

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
geeji

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you replace your ODD, you should attempt some cleaning of its lens, using a dedicated cleaning CD.
If that does not work, you will need to replace your LG GA32N with a SATA slot-in (aka sload-load) Superdrive, 12.7mm high.
Compatible drives are :
    Pioneer DVR-TS08
    Matshita UJ-868A (RPC1)
    Matshita UJ-875A
    Matshita UJ-880A
    Sony Optiarc AD-5670S (RPC1)
    Sony Optiarc AD-7670S (RPC1)
    Sony Optiarc AD-5680H (RPC1)
    Sony Optiarc AD-5690H / AD-7690H (RPC1)
    LG GA31F

(RPC1) means the firmware drive can be flashed to make it region-less.
Use iFixit Mac Mini teardown Guide.
Davey29

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys. The disc will not even slot into the drive, it only inserts a couple of inches and will not be drawn in by the mechanism. I cant hear any noises coming from it at all. Could it still be the lens that needs cleaning, is it the lens that also detects the disc is being inserted into the drive? or does this indicate that its the mechanism thats faulty?
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually what happens is two things.

1. the cd goes in and then comes out and the cd drive mechinizm malfunctions and sticks shut no cd can be inserted.

2. the same thing happens again but the mechinizm gets stuck half way and wont read or accept disks

in each case replacement of the drive is required sorry...

and yes i know it's spelled wrong auto correct sucks
Davey29

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that might be the case. I forced a disc in yesterday in the hope of something clicking into place and it springing back to life, well something did click but I think it was the click of something breaking further lol. I did hear a motor spin though but it still won't draw the disc in. Anyway I have ordered a new drive. Are the minis as awkward as they look to take apart? I had a look at the ifixit guide, the ribbon cables and plugs on the logic board concern me but I guess I will just have to be gentle and take my time.
geeji

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey29 wrote:
I guess I will just have to be gentle and take my time.
Right on Wink
Just take care not to mix the screws and follow the same exact steps backward when reassembling.
Davey29

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up ordering the same model drive off eBay from china, took a while to come but i wasnt in too much of a rush. Anyway i finally got round to fitting it today, it was alot easier than I thought, took me about 45mins and is now working like new. Got me thinking has anyone replaced theirs with a blu ray drive, Is this even possible?
geeji

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey29 wrote:
Got me thinking has anyone replaced theirs with a blu ray drive, Is this even possible?

Should work fine as long as it is a SATA, Slot-load, 12.7mm, Blu-Ray drive.
Compatible Blu-ray readers models :
    Sony Optiarc BC-5540H
    Sony Optiarc BC-5640H
    Sony Optiarc BC-5600S
    Sony Optiarc BC-5650H (=QSI TDW-082I)
    Pioneer BDC-TS02PB
    TEAC BD-C26SS-A93 (BD-XL)
    Toshiba-Samsung TS-TB23L
    LG CA40N

AFAIK, none of those can be made region-free.
geaclaesson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so my drive in my imac has been dead for a while and I've made it without one.. but now it's getting frustrating so I figured I'd replace it.

I have a GA32N right now and it kinda' worked.. but it was slow sometimes so I figured I'd try and get a faster drive now since I've got to replace it anyways.

1) What drive would you guys use to replace it?
2) Am I going to have to configure anything in the system if I replace it with a different drive or is it just plug and play?
3) Is it a complicated process to upgrade the firmware of a drive to become region free?

Any help will be greatly appreciated Smile
geeji

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geaclaesson wrote:
Hitachi-LG GA32N is a SATA slot-in 12.7mm drive.
See my post of compatible similar drives above and look at their technical characteristics.

geaclaesson wrote:
2) Am I going to have to configure anything in the system if I replace it with a different drive or is it just plug and play?
Plug and play on OS X

geaclaesson wrote:
3) Is it a complicated process to upgrade the firmware of a drive to become region free?
Depends on the drive brand and the kind of tools to use. Some/most ODD canNOT be made region free.
Some drives need a PC (or Bootcamped Mac) to patch or even flash the ODD firmware.
geaclaesson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Yes, I've read your post with the alternatives to the GA32N but I was wondering if anyone knew if any of them trumps the other superdrives. Smile
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geaclaesson wrote:
Ok, so my drive in my imac has been dead for a while and I've made it without one.. but now it's getting frustrating so I figured I'd replace it.

I have a GA32N right now and it kinda' worked.. but it was slow sometimes so I figured I'd try and get a faster drive now since I've got to replace it anyways.

Any help will be greatly appreciated Smile

Ok listen very well get a external cd drive taking apart a imac is not for beginners i had to take one apart for the first time big mistake
Brendan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:

Ok listen very well get a external cd drive taking apart a imac is not for beginners i had to take one apart for the first time big mistake

You can decide for yourself after watching the video at OWC

Brendan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: