123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hardcopy mailing lists and labels - Outlook or Dymo?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacUser_Since_1986

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Hardcopy mailing lists and labels - Outlook or Dymo? Reply with quote

Datng back through the mid-1990s, I've been using MacEnvelope Professional from Synex to maintain mailing lists for small local volunteer organizations and events that send out direct-mail hardcopy announcements and newsletters via snail mail. I still use this software (on a G4 iMac running MacOS 9.2 in MacOS 10.4.11's "Classic Mode") to this day. I would like to retire the old iMac. (Synex is history.)

I need to be able to print out mailing lists (sometimes filtered by input criteria) to sheet labels. I use Avery sheet labels (self-adhesive peel-off sheets with 30 labels per sheet). This is an ideal arrangement for small organizations and event announcements. MacEnvelope Professional would even give me the option of which label on the page I wanted to start printing labels on so I could conserve on labels.

Now that I have Office 2011: Mac, I was wondering if Outlook offers any similar capabilities, and, if so, are there any online tutorials to show me the procedures for setting up mailing lists and printing them out.

Can anyone here tell me if Outlook can be set up to do this?

The alternative might be to use Dymo software, but it doesn't fliter address lists as intelligently as MacEnvelope Professional does. I have a couple of LabelWriter 320 printers sitting around, but I don't know how practical that would be compared to Avery sheet labels.

The only other question I would have if Avery-style sheet labels are the way to go would be this: is there a current MacOS 10.6-or-higher address book app that can effectively replace MacEnvelope Professional?

Thanks in advance.
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought would be to get a database program like FiileMaker, but first see if Bento will fit your needs, http://solutions.filemaker.com/database-templates/index_home.jsp

Try checking out Macupdate too, http://www.macupdate.com/find/mac/label/

I've used Outlook on my Mac, and stopped. But I don't think you'll find Outlook well suited for what are you wanting to do.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you asked about this in another thread, but it just dawned on me that perhaps you should give the Contacts app a try. I just took a look at mine and it does do Avery labels, envelopes, etc.

Other than that, the only other item I can think of if you have it is to maintain the list in Excel and do a print merge with word to print to labels/envelopes, etc.
MacUser_Since_1986

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ez061111 wrote:
it just dawned on me that perhaps you should give the Contacts app a try. I just took a look at mine and it does do Avery labels, envelopes, etc.

Contacts? New heard of it before now.

Is there a web-site? I tried Googling it and couldn't find anything.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's built into OS X, found in the Applications folder. What version OSX do you have? It may be called Address Book in older versions of OS X, don't remember though
MacUser_Since_1986

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I have access to:

MacBook Pro 2,2 (2.33 GHz) running MacOS 10.6.8

MacBook (white, first-generation) running MacOS 10.6.8

G4 iMac (1.25 GHz Igloo) running MacOS 10.4.11 / 9.2 "classic mode"
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look in your applications folder for:

Contacts, or
Address Book
MacUser_Since_1986

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some inquiring at the chat section of Dymo's web-site.

Some things I learned.

Dymo's label-making software works, and may be of help in my situation if I want to go that route. BUT...

Dymo's position is that (1: the older LabelWriter 320 printers won't work with MacOS beyond 10.6. So 10.6.8 is presumably the end of the line for these older printers. The older ones are considered "obsolete". (2: The newest Dymo software version 8.4.0 works with the older printers... under MacOS 10.6. (3: Dymo doesn't want to talk about connecting a LabelWriter (new or old) to an Airport wifi device to make it a "network printer"; they sell their own LabelWriter Print Server product... http://sites.dymo.com/Solutions/Pages/Product_Details.aspx?cat=Others&prod=1750630%28DYMO%29

One question I didn't bother to touch on was whether the older printers would work with the Dymo network solution or an Airport.

Does anyone have experience using a Dymo printer with either the Dymo network device or a Dymo LabelWriter printer connected to an Airport base station? If so, how did it work?
MacUser_Since_1986

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the non-Dymo track, one place that shows promises is the BeLight software company, makers of Labels & Addresses. They also make interesting business card software. I'm already inquiring.

http://www.belightsoft.com/
DYMOsupport

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify:

1. not all LabelWriter 320 models are incompatible with OS X 10.8. I do not know your model number but let us assume that it is indeed incompatible. In this case you simply contact DYMO help desk and arrange an exchange. It is free of charge and we would be glad to help you out;

2. other print servers work nicely with LabelWriters (I can give you a list of the ones we have tested), and one of those is the Apple Airport Express / Apple Airport Extreme Base Station.

You are welcome to contact DYMO help desk in case of further questions.
MacUser_Since_1986

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The model number for the Dymo I have in this room with me is 93036. I assume the other one is the same.
MacUser_Since_1986

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAJOR UPDATE:

My Macbook Pro suddenly died on me several days ago. It was diagnosed a terminal; a logic board failure. I had the hard disk extracted and put in a USB case. I bought a refurbished Fall-2012 Core i5 iMac. Tonight is the first night I've been up and running on this new machine. It's fast, and with a HUGE screen.

Some of my software works, some of it doesn't. While I still have access to my old G4 iMac, it's days as a workhorse are obviously numbered. (It will be 10 years old this coming Fall!)

To date, I never received a reply from BeLight. I am not happy with that. I inquired with some technical questions at the same time I posted in this tread about BeLight, but never received a response.
MacUser_Since_1986

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now want to try moving the Dymo LabelWriter 320 from its old home (a nearly-ten-year-old G4 iMac running MacOS 10.4.11) to a new one (an Airport Express base station's USB port).

Question: I am accustomed to using the LabelWriter on the old G4 iMac. The software I use to print Dymo labels on the G4 iMac is Dymo Label version 7.8.0.4. This is the machine that holds all the label templates for business and volunteer applications that our home office uses.

If we attach the LabelWriter 320 to the Airport Express, it will then be available via WiFi to newer machines on our network. These include a first-generation MacBook running MacOS 10.6.8 and the new 2012 iMac running MacOS 10.8. Problem: how do we locate and copy the Dymo Label software label templates we've created on the G4 iMac to install on these other, newer machines? We want to be able to use those custom label designs we've already created.

How do we do this?
MacUser_Since_1986

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been tinkering around with my equipment.

The older Dymo Label 7.8 software will not run on my 2012 Corei5 iMac. It crashes on launch. The latest Dymo Label 8.5 does run, but finding an effective way to import the old templates from the old G4 iMac is proving to be an exercise in patience at best. There is no direct importation path for these old designs. Somehow, I have accidentally managed to bring in two of the old templates.

Dymo Label 8.5 does print from the new iMac (running MacOS 10 . 8 ) to the Dymo LabelWriter 320 connected to the Airport Express. So WiFi Dymo label printing from a Mountain Lion-era iMac does work!

I tried inquiring about how to import the old templates into the newer Dymo software, and all Dymo would do was ignore my question with the boilerplate "Hello, I'm sorry, the 320 is a discontinued model. There is no support for this printer Beyond Mac 10 . 5 . For assistance with upgrades and orders, please contact Customer Service at 800 640 6944
Thanks
Dymo Technical Support
Brandon"

So Dymo is of no help at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: