123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New mac owner and super frustrated

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jessesmith121

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: New mac owner and super frustrated Reply with quote

Hello I am new to the mac world... I purchased a "mac mini" with Mac OS X 10.6.8/ a 1.83 Intel core 2 duo with 1gb 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM... I purchased this for my wife for Christmas. I am really getting frustrated with the thing. Ive tried to install flash about 4 times and it fails at the last second. Other thing I have tried to install do the same thing. Then when I connect this computer to my router it kicks off all of my windows pc's, and vice versa. I'm rebooting my router about 4 times a day just to get connectivity. Then it only prints about half of the time... It pauses the document in the middle of printing and then errors out... The cannon I have works great with my i pad and air print... The software says compatible with my OS... I got this computer because I was told up and down how "trouble free" these computers were... Every time my wife or I want to use it, it is nothing but trouble... Please help before I take a hammer to this thing...
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear!

Well, before the hammer comes out, can you tell us if it came with any install discs, or did it just come all alone without any discs?

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
jessesmith121

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in a way... the install disks are on the hard drive...
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. If you can, burn them to discs or to a USB stick, 'cuz the OS installed on the mini might be bad.

However, first we'll try a trick to see if it's just the user space that is bad.

Back up all your important data, like email, or business stuff.

Just to be sure, but it's not complaining about low disc space or anything like that is it? The installs are just failing?

Now create a new user that is an Admin account. From that account, try installing what you want to install. If it still fails, then I would suggest, assuming nobody else chimes in, that you are going to want to reinstall the OS and start fresh.

SC

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
b0bb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1Gb memory is really tight for Snow Leopard (OSX 10.6.x), I think you may have just run out of memory during the flash install.

I would take Smithcraft's suggestion and reinstall OSX to get rid of other memory resident programs. You can also try to clear it out manually using the Activity Monitor tool.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone think illegal snow leopard copy see apple disables installation of programs on snow leopard if it detects a illegal or stolen copy of the o.s its a good feature but totally screws over anyone who buys the machine used.

i would recommend doing something major.

once you burn the reinstallation cd's/dvd's make sure you do one thing..

boot from the installation media then go into utilites at the top of the screen and select disk utility and run a 7 pass format its located under partitions and click security options then select 7 pass air force standard here is why that model of mini was known for hard drive issues and even some processor issues to verify its not a processor defect run the format if the format fails its a bad drive if the computer restarts its a bad cpu

simple as that
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't. Did the OS tell the Flash installer that the OS is illegal because it didn't have a correct serial number?

Oh, I forgot, OS X doesn't use serial numbers. So how would OS X tell Flash that it is an illegitimate installation?

SC

Make sure it has pins!
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
Does anyone think illegal snow leopard copy see apple disables installation of programs on snow leopard if it detects a illegal or stolen copy of the o.s its a good feature but totally screws over anyone who buys the machine used.

Huh? I would run a contiunual 100000 pass security wipe just to make sure that what does not happen really does not happen.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
jackie15

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in this topic and would like to find out some more information as my friend need information on this topic. Do you have any other articles about this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: