123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Announces 128GB iPad with Retina Display
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Apple Announces 128GB iPad with Retina Display Reply with quote

Apple Announces 128GB iPad with Retina Display
Tuesday, January 29, 2013
Posted by: Staff

Apple today announced new 128GB versions of the fourth generation iPad with Retina display. These devices feature a 9.7-inch Retina display, Apple-designed A6X chip, FaceTime HD camera, iOS 6.1 and ultrafast wireless performance. The 128GB versions of the fourth generation iPad will be available starting on Tuesday, February 5th, in black or white, for a suggested retail price of $799 for the iPad with Wi-Fi model and $929 for the iPad with Wi-Fi + Cellular model.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1965.html
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for 128GB iPads, but I think there should have been an adjustment in the line eliminating the 16GB iPad and shifting the rest of the prices down. Meaning the 32GB iPad becomes the $499 model, 64GB becomes the $599 mode, and the new 128GB comes in at $699.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelSpinners wrote:
I'm all for 128GB iPads, but I think there should have been an adjustment in the line eliminating the 16GB iPad and shifting the rest of the prices down. Meaning the 32GB iPad becomes the $499 model, 64GB becomes the $599 mode, and the new 128GB comes in at $699.

Maybe that's what they'll do when the iPad 5 comes out. Then discontinue the iPad 2 and replace it with a 16GB iPad 4 for $399. Just a thought.
epic_ed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they should have waited until the next generation for a 128GB model. Which should be coming around the corner with iOS 7. I just don't see it being a super popular option until then.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epic_ed wrote:
I think they should have waited until the next generation for a 128GB model. Which should be coming around the corner with iOS 7. I just don't see it being a super popular option until then.

Perhaps Apple is going to offer frequent incremental updates, like the change from the 3rd gen to the 4th gen iPad. This may be part of a strategy to eliminate huge peak demand and the inability to fulfil orders. It may also mean a more stable buying pattern from consumers. Why wait, just buy when you're ready?
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Perhaps Apple is going to offer frequent incremental updates, like the change from the 3rd gen to the 4th gen iPad. This may be part of a strategy to eliminate huge peak demand and the inability to fulfil orders. It may also mean a more stable buying pattern from consumers. Why wait, just buy when you're ready?

Apple has very smart people (way smarter than me), but that could also be a risky strategy if you don't sell through the previous generation and/or have left over inventory. Then you have discounts that sort of water down and flood the market. It sets up great buying opportunities (like when we bought our 3rd generation iPad), but it also gives you the mindset of... why should I buy the latest and greatest? Especially when the changes are pretty minimal between the products. It also sort of makes Apple look less inventive. Which is something else that seems to be hurting Apple these days. Maybe it's just the backlash for all recent their success, but they did set the bar rather high. So... I sort of think it would be better for Apple to follow the same path they've taken with the iPhone to this point. You have an update every year and then discount one mode from the previous generation. I think they should even do that with the iPad mini when it gets upgraded to the Retina display. Perhaps lowering the price of the one that is out now to something like $229. Again, just some random thoughts. Smile
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
if you don't sell through the previous generation and/or have left over inventory. Then you have discounts that sort of water down and flood the market.

It also sort of makes Apple look less inventive. Which is something else that seems to be hurting Apple these days.

Apple seems to have no problem keeping the iPad 2 around, older iPhones and now they even offer an older touch. I don't see how this is a problem. Most price sensitive people would rather have an iPad 2, iPhone 4 or 4th gen iPod touch, than some cheap piece of junk offered by competitors.

Regarding your second point. I don't know what people expect, Apple products to do back flips? They are already awesome. Most people don't even use 10% of the capabilities of the current products. Apple products in my opinion are already much better than what other companies offer.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Apple seems to have no problem keeping the iPad 2 around, older iPhones and now they even offer an older touch. I don't see how this is a problem. Most price sensitive people would rather have an iPad 2, iPhone 4 or 4th gen iPod touch, than some cheap piece of junk offered by competitors.

Regarding your second point. I don't know what people expect, Apple products to do back flips? They are already awesome. Most people don't even use 10% of the capabilities of the current products. Apple products in my opinion are already much better than what other companies offer.

I totally agree with what you are saying Bandit. I just think the smart strategy going forward is to release new versions of the iPads, iPods and iPhone on a yearly cycle. They don't need to release a new version every 6-9 months. Then take the entry-level of the previous generation and discount it like they have done with the iPad 2 from it's initial price of $499. Something they are even doing with the iPod touch now. Then just make the new product something to the best of your ability or what the technology out there at the time allows. The big leaps have already sort of been made with these products. People have to come to grips with that. It's going to be more about the software and little refinements to the hardware going forward. That's probably how you get to perfection anyways. Which is something that Apple is always trying to achieve. At least that's what I like to believe.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's all about iOS 7 going forward. It's going to spur more sales than any incremental hardware update or storage upgrade. I know that I'm more excited about it coming than the arrival of the iPad 5. Even with its rumored sexier and slimmer iPad mini body styling.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see Apple simplify the product line. Now there are 30 different iPad skews, 34 iPod skews and 10 phone skews.

I find it strange that the first thing Steve Jobs did when he came back to Apple was to streamline the product line to become profitable,but now the product line is huge and confusing.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I'd like to see Apple simplify the product line. Now there are 30 different iPad skews, 34 iPod skews and 10 phone skews.

I find it strange that the first thing Steve Jobs did when he came back to Apple was to streamline the product line to become profitable,but now the product line is huge and confusing.

It's not horrible, but it could be improved on. Here are some things that I probably would suggest them doing.

1. Dump the Mac Pro. It's a dinosaur with a limited user base and everyone knows it.

2. Make all of the MacBooks with a retina display. There's no need for two MacBook Pros or MacBook Airs (when it goes retina) in the line.

3. Have LTE in every iPad. Is there really a need for two version? They could easily suck up a couple more dollars for the radio. It's not like their profit margins are in the dumps.

4. Get rid of the old iPod touch. Start with a 16GB model and go up from there with the new one.

What would you suggest?
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
Brendan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put LTE in the MBA! I know they won't since that might scavenge sales from the precious iPad.
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brendan wrote:
Put LTE in the MBA! I know they won't since that might scavenge sales from the precious iPad.

I would love that too! I went from a MacBook Air to the iPad, but now I'm looking to go back to the MacBook Air when it gets a Retina display.
Brendan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelSpinners wrote:
Brendan wrote:

I would love that too! I went from a MacBook Air to the iPad, but now I'm looking to go back to the MacBook Air when it gets a Retina display.

The iPad is ok but it is not a computer. I prefer my 11.6 MBA since it is a full computer with a keyboard and extremely portable. It is not much bigger than the iPad. I have a keyboard case for my iPad, but it just doesn't do it for me. Maybe if I played games I might find it more useful.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brendan wrote:
WheelSpinners wrote:
Brendan wrote:

The iPad is ok but it is not a computer. I prefer my 11.6 MBA since it is a full computer with a keyboard and extremely portable. It is not much bigger than the iPad. I have a keyboard case for my iPad, but it just doesn't do it for me. Maybe if I played games I might find it more useful.

I agree. I often have people coming into my Apple reseller store thinking that the iPad will replace their computer. In some cases it may, but in many cases they are sadly mistaken. It's designed to complement a computer or meet basic needs.

I like my iPad for web browsing, iMessage, receiving emails and portable convenience. I'm not even a fan of it when it comes to posting a comment on this forum. It's time consuming. The keyboard option would certainly help, but then it takes away from the reason I bought an iPad. I don't quite understand why people want to turn iPads into laptops, when the MBA is a much nicer option. 4G in laptops would be a welcomed option, but please put it in all units, don't leave it as an expensive option (and further confusion).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: