123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple II to PC (Dos - Win7) to iPad 3/Mac Mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
STL Mark

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Apple II to PC (Dos - Win7) to iPad 3/Mac Mini Reply with quote

Apple II to PC (Dos - Win7) to iPad 3/Mac Mini

It has been awhile but I'm on my way back to Apple where I started in computers. For those of you that have a few gray hairs, what was that Western Union network called that preceded CompuServe as a bulletin board system across the US?

I'm retired now and find my days of fiddling with PCs need to come to a close. My budget will allow me to order a Mac Mini in mid February. My usage will be for web browsing, email, light photo editing (150 pics per year) and entertainment including determining if I can develop iOS apps. I'm considering the below configuration and would appreciate thoughts on if it is overkill or if I'm missing out on a major upgrade that I should consider. My current plan is to purchase from MacMall to avoid tax ($100) and save about $20 in cost. If there is another vendor I should consider please enlighten me.

I would also like suggestions or known limitations for the Parallels Desktop 8 software.

Source MacMall:
Mac Mini 2.3GHz, 4GB, 1 TB Fusion
Apple Wireless Keyboard
Apple Magic Trackpad

Source Amazon:
Corsair 16GB (8GB x 2) PC3 12800 memory

Source InertialDesign:
aTrackt Go! Mk II - Portable Aluminum Tray

Last edited by STL Mark on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:22 am; edited 2 times in total
Brendan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I avoid macmall. I used to use them as a source at work - they never got an order right. I am guessing you would go with them since they had the Fusion option. If you are handy, I would roll your own Fusion drive. You can match the setup Apple provides for about 150 USD (~110 for drive, 35 for data doubler from OWC). For what Apple charges, you could set up Fusion drive with a 256G SSD drive instead of the 128G. You can watch the teardown video at OWC. I have that exact memory. I use Fusion since we run VMWare at work. I use it at work to run various flavors of OSes and browsers for compatibility tests on applications. That keyboard/trackpad holder is a neat idea. Don't forget to consider an external backup drive.

Brendan
STL Mark

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your thoughts. Regarding MacMall, is there another tax free shipping free vendor that carries Fusion Drive minis? I didn't see the fusion models on Amazon. Does MacMall resolve their issues with customers and correct their errors? Didn't know if it was a scam where customer was stuck with what they shipped.

I watched the video and I think the bottom line is, I don't want the responsibility of tearing down the system that far. I built my last two PCs but I think I will pay to avoid the frustration of dealing with that this time. I'll take on the memory challenge for a $200 savings, and leave the drives to you younger folks. Although if the drive dies 5 years from now off warranty I may tackle it instead of throwing the mini in the trash.

Glad to hear you have the same memory I'm considering. Everyone seems to have there favorite vendor but I wanted to avoid any known problems or compatibility issues.

If I decide to run Parallels do I need to have the 2.6 processor?

Last edited by STL Mark on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Brendan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STL Mark wrote:
Didn't know if it was a scam where customer was stuck with what they shipped.

It is not a scam, just a lousy company, based on my past experience as a business customer. Some vendors do options if you ask. I think Mac Connection does. Don't know if that would be tax free for you, though.

STL Mark wrote:
I'll take on the memory challenge for a $200 savings, and leave the drives to you younger folks.

My granddaughter will be starting university this fall

STL Mark wrote:

If I decide to run Parallels do I need to have the 2.6 processor?

No

Brendan
Brendan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Parallels
http://www.mactech.com/2013-01/virtualization-benchmarks
STL Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brendan wrote:
Speaking of Parallels
http://www.mactech.com/2013-01/virtualization-benchmarks

Great information, thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: