123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Reports First Quarter Results

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Apple Reports First Quarter Results Reply with quote

Apple Reports First Quarter Results
Wednesday, January 23, 2013
Posted by: Staff

Apple today announced financial results for its 13-week fiscal 2013 first quarter ended December 29th, 2012. The company posted record quarterly revenue of $54.5 billion and record quarterly net profit of $13.1 billion, or $13.81 per diluted share. These results compare to revenue of $46.3 billion and net profit of $13.1 billion, or $13.87 per diluted share, in the 14-week year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 38.6 percent compared to 44.7 percent in the year-ago quarter. International sales accounted for 61 percent of the quarter's revenue.

"We're thrilled with record revenue of over $54 billion and sales of over 75 million iOS devices in a single quarter," said Tim Cook, Apple's CEO. "We're very confident in our product pipeline as we continue to focus on innovation and making the best products in the world."

The company also announced that it sold 47.8 million iPhones (up from 37 million a year ago), 22.9 million iPads (up from 15.4 million a year ago), 4.1 million Macs (down from 5.2 million a year ago), and 12.7 million iPods (down from 15.4 million a year ago).
You can listen to the conference call here for more information about these results.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1962.html
Texark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Reports First Quarter Results Reply with quote

admin wrote:
4.1 million Macs (down from 5.2 million a year ago)

That can't be seen as a good thing. Shocked
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Reports First Quarter Results Reply with quote

Texark wrote:
admin wrote:
4.1 million Macs (down from 5.2 million a year ago)

That can't be seen as a good thing. Shocked

Nope. Especially seeing that Apple introduced a lot of new Macs towards the end of last year. I do see this as a possible delay issue though. Meaning that it's taking them too long to get new systems to market. I mean, it's taking Apple close to a year before they come out with systems with the latest and greatest from Intel. A major update of OS X probably wouldn't hurt either. The move from Lion to Mountain Lion was nice, but it wasn't like breakthrough enough to drive a major increase in sales. At least in my opinion.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a big deal because they essential said it was because of the later than expected arrival of the iMac. That being said, it looks like iPad could also be cannibalizing some Mac sales. But since Apple makes the iPad, that's not exactly the worst problem in the world to have. JMHO
iLife's a Bitch!
gigaguy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the desktop market is a little down, anyone hear what happened to HP or to Dell? most people use portable devices for simple email and web now.
Must say tho, my new Fusion Mini is amazing, and I've had a lot of Mac Minis.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Apple Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I don't think it's a big deal because they essential said it was because of the later than expected arrival of the iMac. That being said, it looks like iPad could also be cannibalizing some Mac sales. But since Apple makes the iPad, that's not exactly the worst problem in the world to have. JMHO
They are also in competition with Samsung and other big players in this field also.They cannot be on top always.
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care if Apple meets Wall Street expectations. I just want to see them keep making the best products they can, and keep providing excellent support for them. That's all that really matters to me. It's not like they are failing or going out of business. It's all basically Wall Street games.
Brendan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:

Weird. Would that mean a million users held off on buying a new mac because they were waiting for a newer iMac?
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think Apple needs to start focusing on software again. Especially with iOS, which has fallen behind Android (Jelly Bean) in many ways. I also think that OS X needs to become more touch friendly like Windows 8. Then you make a touchscreen-based MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac and Thunderbolt display to utilize that version of OS X and drive sales forward. An Apple hybrid type device wouldn't be shabby either.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Apple Reply with quote

Ben Tex wrote:
Personally, I think Apple needs to start focusing on software again. Especially with iOS, which has fallen behind Android (Jelly Bean) in many ways. I also think that OS X needs to become more touch friendly like Windows 8. Then you make a touchscreen-based MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac and Thunderbolt display to utilize that version of OS X and drive sales forward. An Apple hybrid type device wouldn't be shabby either.
They should start introducing brand new products not modify the same old ones over and over again.This is where their marketing is sinking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: