123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SSD boot drive problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommie Milwaukee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: SSD boot drive problem Reply with quote

Ever since I replaced the optical drive with an internal SSD boot drive in my 2009 Core 2 Duo Mini, the computer will not boot unless I force quit, pull out the power cord, reset the power by holding the button in for a few seconds, then safe-booting. THEN I can restart normally & everything is fine (& the SSD boot drive is fast!) But if I ever shut down, I have to go through the whole process again. Anybody have any ideas or theories?
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually yes there is not enough power to power up the ssd and the other hard drive in the Mac mini at the same time you have to choose sad or hard drive not both
Brendan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mini has plenty of power for both. I run the same setup in my mini. OWC has been selling the kits for this since they came out. Are you using the OWC kit of one of the cheaper trays?
Brendan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just grasping here, but is the SSD drive on the original connection? Will it boot without the second drive connected?
Tommie Milwaukee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not using an OWC kit. It's a cheap one I picked up on eBay, but used the same one on a previous Mini & did not have the same problem. The SSD IS in the connection that the original drive was in & the other drive for Data is in the caddy.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it could be that maybe the caddy is faulty i would try another alternative first get a cheap external box and connect the ssd to it and run disk utility on the ssd to see if it is fully safe and functional then i would run a volt meter on the mac mini's power supply because if the mini has a faulty power supply then it wont boot the drive because it isn't getting enough power the volt meter can tell you this is the voltage is correct then it is the caddy reminder also.

Apple does revision changes to mini's which means if your mac mini even has the same hardware specs as the last one you did there could be slight changes in the drive connector card or the drive controller itself which can also cause issues
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: