123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

best Mac Mini server sub forum?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carboncow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: best Mac Mini server sub forum? Reply with quote

Hello,

I'd like to know more about Mac Mini servers. We purchases a i7 2.0gh, 16GB Ram and mirror RAID setup. I'd like to learn more about how the RAID5 setup but not really seeing much out there on the net.

Is there a forum somewhere that is devoted to the world of Mac Mini Server, especially Lion? Am I in the right place but wrong sub forum?

Thanks.
Shawn
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see no problems with posting it here.

I have a couple Mac mini servers now. What are you looking to do?

A basic primer about RAID 5 can be found here.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/sata/RAID_Guide/Learn_About_RAID_5
24" HP LCD
Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
carboncow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for our time. I understand the concept of RAID in detail working with Dell Poweredges for some time in many different arrangements.

My concern comes with understanding how a Mac Mini will work if one of the mirrors fails.

How will I know...there appears to be notification in the Admin system? Will Disk Utility give me the answer?

There seems to be speculation on the net that if one fails then the system will lock up but upon reboot run off the one disk...but this seems counter intuitive to importance of a mirror continuing to work even if one fails.

What understanding, resources or experience are you aware of to tell me what to be prepared for the the event of a failure?

We run two Windows Servers in VMware Fusion on this system along with iTunes running looping playlists for about 9 AppleTVs at our small business.

Thanks.
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that you are using an external hardware-based box that supports RAID 5. Did it come with motoring software for OS X? You will most likely need it because I believe the RAID Utility in OS X Server only supports the AppleRAID card. And Disk Utility is really limited. RAID Monitor might be another option to look at, but I have no experience with the product.

http://www.squashedsoftware.com/products-raid-monitor.php

A standard RAID (like 1 or 0) setup with the two internals or something setup through Disk Utility will be will be supported though.
24" HP LCD
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
carboncow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you assuming I'm using external and R5? I stated I was mirror and the Mac Mini Servers come with dual HDs!

There is no monitoring software I am aware of in the server management system.

I'll check out the software you referenced...at only $30 that worth a look.

Now you see why I'm looking for a Mac Mini Server based forum...there are lots of people willing to help out there but I'm just not finding people that know this "for sure"!
Grasshopper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carboncow wrote:
Why are you assuming I'm using external and R5? I stated I was mirror and the Mac Mini Servers come with dual HDs!

I understand, but you can't RAID 5 two hard drives. You essentially need three or more drives. That's why I assumed you were using an external RAID drive when you talked about learning more about RAID 5. If you are just using RAID 1 mirroring with the two internals, Disk Utility and RAID Monitor will more than have you covered for monitoring and alerts. And to make repairs or rebuild, if worse comes to worse, you can always boot into recovery and use Disk Utility or Terminal.

http://osxdaily.com/2012/02/08/repair-boot-disk-mac-os-x-disk-utilit/

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10330310-263.html?tag=mfiredir
24" HP LCD
2 x 1TB MiniStacks
1TB MiniStack Max
carboncow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha! I had to go back to my first post to see I did put Raid5 in there and then kept mentioning "mirroring"...sorry about the confusion!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: