123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases iMac EFI Update 2.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Apple Releases iMac EFI Update 2.0 Reply with quote

Apple Releases iMac EFI Update 2.0
Monday, December 17, 2012
Posted by: Staff

Apple has released the iMac EFI Update 2.0 via their Software Update Utility and website for direct download. According to the company, this update is recommended for all new iMac (late 2012) models. It contains general performance fixes pertaining to sleep and Thunderbolt, and improves compatibility when using the 5GHz band in Wi-Fi. The iMac EFI Update 2.0 weighs in at 4.32 MB and requires OS X 10.8.1 or later.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1953.html
gfin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: EFI Update 2.0 Reply with quote

I bought a new Mini a few days ago and just built it up on Friday. One of the first things that I did was to apply the available updates, including this firmware upgrade.

The machine was buggy, crashing every Safari was run, within 30 seconds or so. Not just a hung application, this was a full-scale Kernel Panic, every time.

I returned that bad machine to my local Apple store and got a new one today, which is working fine. However, I'm not going to apply this firmware patch for a couple of weeks in case a bug in that patch was responsible for my crashes. Once those patches are installed I don't think there's any easy way to revert to the previous firmware version.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: EFI Update 2.0 Reply with quote

gfin wrote:
I bought a new Mini a few days ago and just built it up on Friday. One of the first things that I did was to apply the available updates, including this firmware upgrade.

The machine was buggy, crashing every Safari was run, within 30 seconds or so. Not just a hung application, this was a full-scale Kernel Panic, every time.

I returned that bad machine to my local Apple store and got a new one today, which is working fine. However, I'm not going to apply this firmware patch for a couple of weeks in case a bug in that patch was responsible for my crashes. Once those patches are installed I don't think there's any easy way to revert to the previous firmware version.
Unfortunately you got a lemon.Try it out for a while with this update and see what happens.Every update is not perfect. Good luck in your new MM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: