123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Power Mac G4 Beige minitower, worth it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Power Mac G4 Beige minitower, worth it? Reply with quote

I've got an old used Power Mac G4 Beige minitower. I figured it was dead, but plugged into a TV and it booted up. I've got a mouse, but not ABD keyboard. Wondering if it's worth messing with or not. Anyone have one of these laying around in use or should I just recycle it and walk away? I was debating about putting in a USB keyboard, right now I'm getting an error message 'DragLib--SetDragImage' I've found some info on this, but I can't beyond it without a keyboard.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some people love those systems.

However, do you have anything to do with it?

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, at this point I'm not really sure if I do or not. Mostly now it's just a curiosity piece.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for ADB keyboards, I think that the Apple Design Keyboards should be cheap, especially if you have some used computer vendors over there.

Or a cheap USB PCI card.

SC

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SC do you know if the OS will recognize the USB card from boot? With the error message I'm getting I need to have a keyboard to to hold down the shift key on start up. If it won't recognize it I need to find ADB keyboard. We have a Mac shop in town so hoping they have one laying around cheap.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might, I don't know. I never had a Beige G3/G4.

I have a four day weekend, so I can go to the local peecee recycler(RE-PC) and see if they have any Apple Design Keyboards(the lowest end ADB keyboard not loved so should be cheap), or any inexpensive Extended II keyboards, to send your way.

SC

Make sure it has pins!
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beige g4 is basically a beige g3 with a g4 upgrade card you can do mac os x tiger on it but not leopard as leopard wont pick up the processor card i would recommend not changing to much just keep it as a good old school machine for classic apple programs
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SC thanks a bunch for the offer. I'll let you know what I hear from Alpha. I'm going to drop by Alpha today to see if they have any old parts for this laying around, if not I think I may take it in to have it recycled, not sure it's worth putting much money into, and would hate to waste your time.

I realized I made a huge error though, its a G3 not a G4.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a G4 if you want!

SC

Make sure it has pins!
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL I guess it could be.. and might be.

I had a great chat with one of the guys from Alpha Computer in Richland today. Picked up a ABD keyboard for $6, couldn't complain at that price. Nice guy talked to me for several minutes about the box and possible upgrades, and how to do them cheap. I appreciated the soft sell and advice. So tonight I'll see if I can get it to boot completely and see what I've got. He say if it didn't work they would look it over from a parts perspective as he knows of a number of them still out there working away.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!

Just incase, if you need an ADB cable, you can also use an S-Video cable(which might be more available than an ADB cable).

Also, a great forum for general Mac-inations, and their G3, G4, and G5 section can be found here: http://x704.net/bbs/viewforum.php?f=8

Enjoy!

SC

Make sure it has pins!
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SC, the mouse probably does need an extension. Thanks for the tip and the link too.
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news is that it booted up fine by passing the extensions and after removing the two files it booted up normally.

Running OS 8.5 - talk about blast from the past.
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news is that it booted up fine by passing the extensions and after removing the two files it booted up normally.

Running OS 8.5 - talk about blast from the past. Oh and it has Wing Commander!

Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet!

SC

Make sure it has pins!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: