123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Moving Mac Mini Production to United States?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
admin
Site Admin


Joined: 21 Jan 2005
Posts: 2168
Location: U.S.A

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Apple Moving Mac Mini Production to United States? Reply with quote

Apple Moving Mac Mini Production to United States?
Thursday, December 27, 2012
Posted by: Staff

DigiTimes is reporting that production of the Mac mini might be moving to the United States with Foxconn Electronics handling the "establishment" for Apple. They are also reporting that Mac mini shipments are expected to reach 1.4 million units in 2012, up more than 40% on year, and with the "specification" upgrade in October 2012, shipments are expected to rise another 30% on year to 1.8 million units in 2013.



http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1954.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Rightondamark
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 309

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fine, but I think Apple needs to expand the line as well by having a model or two with dedicated graphics. Especially if they want to see more growth. A little advertising for the Mac mini might help as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 01 Feb 2007
Posts: 1459
Location: Texas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet they do the Mac mini and Mac Pro here in the US. Or better yet, combine the two products into one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Posts: 816
Location: Florida

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope they retain their high build quality and reliability.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Y-Guy
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 06 Feb 2010
Posts: 484
Location: Tri-Cities, WA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the surface it sounds great, but Apple products already have a high price point. The possible US jobs are great, but if it adds to a higher cost product it will be a failure in the long run.

I really think Apple could do well to introduce a product between the Mini and the Pro. I love my iMac but the new one without a DVD drive doesn't meet my needs.

Hackintosh may be in my future.
_________________
iMac 24" 2.4 GHz 4GB | Logitech S530 | Z-2300 speakers | NewerTech Guardian MAXimus RAID
MacMini HTPC 2.26 GHz 2GB | Panasonic Plasma TV | Logitech diNovo Edge | Mercury Elite-AL Pro 800
AppleTV1 unhacked | Panasonic LCD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 05 Mar 2006
Posts: 1005

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y-Guy wrote:


I really think Apple could do well to introduce a product between the Mini and the Pro. I love my iMac but the new one without a DVD drive doesn't meet my needs.

Hackintosh may be in my future.

Yeah, the iMac is sort of a disposable computer. I think a beefed up Mac mini or less expensive Mac Pro is the future. Or something like you suggest. I think Hankintosh is just too much work and sort of lacks security without timely updates.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 13 Jul 2012
Posts: 574
Location: Philippines

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Moving Mac Mini Production to United States? Reply with quote

admin wrote:
Apple Moving Mac Mini Production to United States?
Thursday, December 27, 2012
Posted by: Staff

DigiTimes is reporting that production of the Mac mini might be moving to the United States with Foxconn Electronics handling the "establishment" for Apple. They are also reporting that Mac mini shipments are expected to reach 1.4 million units in 2012, up more than 40% on year, and with the "specification" upgrade in October 2012, shipments are expected to rise another 30% on year to 1.8 million units in 2013.



http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1954.html
This is good news for the states as hopefully there will be more jobs to be had by this move. Also the quality control will be better than China is producing now.Hopefully the cost will be the same.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 17 Mar 2005
Posts: 1453
Location: Oregon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they will raise prices or have issues with their build quality. Those issues would just lead to bad press over the venture. If anything, this move is gain more favorable press and sentiment among American buyers. I think it's going to be first class all the way.
_________________
My Setup
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 13 Jul 2012
Posts: 574
Location: Philippines

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: MM 2012 Reply with quote

curt wrote:
I don't think they will raise prices or have issues with their build quality. Those issues would just lead to bad press over the venture. If anything, this move is gain more favorable press and sentiment among American buyers. I think it's going to be first class all the way.
Hopefully you will right. We will see this in time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



      

Shop:  Apple Store  |  Refurbished Macs  |  Refurbished iPads  |  MacConnection  |  Mac Mini Vault  |  Other World Computing

MK 1 Studio Mac mini Racks  |  Crucial Mac Memory  |  Top Free Mac Apps  |  Top Paid Mac Apps



123Macmini.com is an independent publication and has not been authorized, sponsored, or approved by Apple Computer, Inc.
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owners.
Copyright © 2011 123Macmini.com. All Rights Reserved.