123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ejecting Disc Image

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeChuck

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Ejecting Disc Image Reply with quote

I have created a password protected file, a "New Image." I keep the .dmg file in my User Folder. After double-clicking the .dmg file, I am prompted for the password. When I'm done, I eject the .dmg file by right-clicking and choosing "eject," or I eject from the left sidebar under Devices.

However, I can now open the .dmg file without punching in the password simply by clicking the .dmg file in my User Folder. I suppose that means the .dmg file isn't really being ejected? I have to open the Disk Utility, and there I see the already ejected .dmg file still mounted. I have to eject from the DiskUtility to ensure the .dmg file is really ejected and thus again password-protected.

What's up with having to eject the .dmg file from the Disk Utility? Is that normal?

Thanks in advance!
Brendan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked to see that it is still mounted via Terminal? DU is weird in that it remembers some images and not others. My DU sidebar is littered with images that I put on USB drives and such and are no longer around. Oddly, I created an image the other day on an external drive, and it isn't in the sidebar. Go figure.
LeChuck

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how to check with the Terminal.

I don't have the problem with the sidebar recalling unmounted drives.

Further checking online shows that the Disk Utility in OS X is finicky. Ironically, in my case, ejecting with the DU works just fine, but ejecting from the desktop or sidebar doesn't really eject the drive, although it disappears from the desktop and sidebar.

Also, after ejecting with the DU, the drive may still show, but it can be removed by right-clicking "remove."
LeChuck

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resetting the SMC has solved the issue. I can now eject the password-protected .dmg from the finder or sidebar. I do not have to eject it using the Disk Utility any longer!

I found out by accident. Resetting the SMC also solved my other problem, which had to do with creating a password-protected disc image.
Brendan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you solved it. For future reference, you can open terminal and type the command mount. That will list all the mounted drives or images. You could also navigate to the /Volumes directory to see what is mounted.

Brendan
LeChuck

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the hint!

In the few instances where I have used the Terminal, it was always worth it. I need to get used to using the Terminal more often. I'll look for a tutorial.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: