123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't create new disc image - "resource is busy"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeChuck

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Can't create new disc image - "resource is busy" Reply with quote

That's a 2012 (May) Mac mini. I want to create an encrypted file (disc image) with the Disk Utility. I have done this successfully in the past, but it's not working.

When I create new disc image with the DU, I am informed that this is impossible, because the "resource is busy."

I have no idea what that means. Please advise. Thanks in advance!
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory, the iTem you you want to make the disc image of is in use.

Have you either logged out to stop all your processes, or restarted?

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
LeChuck

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a new disc image that I would like to create.

Yes, I have restarted.

In case it is of significance, I used to have an encrypted file (disk image) with the same name on this computer. I deleted this file, because it wasn't password-protected any longer after some time. Maybe there is still a "ghost" of that older dmg file on my mini?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeChuck wrote:
This is a new disc image that I would like to create.

Yes, I have restarted.

In case it is of significance, I used to have an encrypted file (disk image) with the same name on this computer. I deleted this file, because it wasn't password-protected any longer after some time. Maybe there is still a "ghost" of that older dmg file on my mini?

That would be my guess. If you modify the name and it then works, you know that's the issue.
LeChuck

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I tried to create a new disk image with a different name, it didn't work either. I got again, "resource is busy."
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try creating another user account and try creating a disc image through that account.

If it works you will know you are having a software issue with the original account.
LeChuck

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I make another user account (I don't want to open another can of worms just yet), a bit more info:

I tried a few more times to make a new encrypted disk image. Twice I succeeded in making a disck image, and although it should have been encrypted, it wasn't. The other couple times I got the "resource busy" message.

According to the screenshot above, my test.dmg should be encrypted. However, I didn't need a password to get in.

I have noticed another thing that seems weird to me: when I eject the dmg from the desktop/favorites by right-clicking and ejecting, the dmg unmounts from the desktop. However, when I check in the Disk Utility, I see the .dmg and the disc image mounted. I have to eject the disc image and remove the .dmg by right-clicking and choosing "delete." Shouldn't the dmg and the disc image eject in the Disk Utility when I eject the .dmg on the desktop?

LeChuck

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "resource busy" issue has miraculously cleared up. Confused

I got the encrypted file to work. This time I used 128 bit instead of 256 bit encryption. The latter is supposed to be supported, but who knows?

After creating the .dmg file, it mounts as a drive/volume on the desktop. I need the password to open the .dmg file. If I don't eject the "Disc Image" file in the Disc Utility, I can open the .dmg file again without punching in my password simply by double-clicking the .dmg file in the folder where I have saved the .dmg file. Simply ejecting the .dmg file in the finder doesn't prevent the file from being opened without password. Instead, the .dmg file must be ejected in the DU.
Brendan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that it asks for a password given that the "Remember password in keychain" box was checked.
LeChuck

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brendan wrote:
Interesting that it asks for a password given that the "Remember password in keychain" box was checked.

The sarcasm is appreciated, but I took the screenshot before unchecking that box. The password issue went away when I went from 256 bit to 128 bit encryption (256 is supposedly supported).

What I would like to know is why I have to eject the .dmg file in the Finder and in the Disk Utility. I created and used encrypted disk images frequently when I was using Tiger, and I don't remember having to eject the .dmg in the Disk Utility.
Brendan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeChuck wrote:
Brendan wrote:

The sarcasm is appreciated, but I took the screenshot before unchecking that box. The password issue went away when I went from 256 bit to 128 bit encryption (256 is supposedly supported).

What I would like to know is why I have to eject the .dmg file in the Finder and in the Disk Utility. I created and used encrypted disk images frequently when I was using Tiger, and I don't remember having to eject the .dmg in the Disk Utility.

I wasn't being sarcastic; I can see how it could be read that way, though. It seemed like another issue given that the screenshot showed it checked.

Brendan
LeChuck

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brendan wrote:

I wasn't being sarcastic; I can see how it could be read that way, though. It seemed like another issue given that the screenshot showed it checked.

Brendan

Either way, I was actually laughing, because your comment was spot on - presuming I had overlooked the password option.

I'm just befuddled by the Disc Utility. Either it works differently than it did in Tiger and I'm doing things wrong, or something else is wrong.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would venture to guess, it's doing it differently than in Tiger.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
LeChuck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something is definitely different in the Lion Disk Utility. I just can't put my finger on it.
LeChuck

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found out why I had issues creating a new disc image.

All my problems disappeared after I reset the SMC. A corrupt SMC caused all those and a few other issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac OS X All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: