123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Samsung 32" LCD HDTV Monitor (LN R328W)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lojo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Samsung 32" LCD HDTV Monitor (LN R328W) Reply with quote

Is there anyone out there using a Samsung 32" LCD HDTV Monitor (LN-R328W) with their Mac Mini? I tried the DVI to HDMI Video connector and I honestly did not see any difference in the VGA connection. I have a HD cable box. I was under the impression from reading various forums that the DVI/HDMI would give a better picture. Am I missing something?

Santa sure was good to me!!!
Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mighty Mouse
Sony 32" LCD HDTV Monitor-Bravia
Apple iPod Hi Fi
LaCie mini HUB 500GB
castaway

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVI/HDMI and VGA can look almost the same on a good TV. I really can't see much of a difference between them with my 21" Samsung LCD. Text might be just a tad sharper with DVI. To be honest, I wouldn't know which way mine was connected if they had a DVI - VGA like Pepsi taste test.
lojo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: SAMSUNG 32" LCD HDTV Monitor (LN-R328W) Reply with quote

Thanks for your response Castaway. My opinion of the VGA vs DVI on the Samsung is exactly as you stated. I am using the VGA cable I already had and returned the more expensive DVI cable. I even tried the DVI connection with my HD cable box and detected no visble change from the composite video. Maybe there will be some future benefit of having this advanced technology on the LCD/Monitor. I don't see any immediate payoff. The Samsung picture is very clear and crisp. Again, thanks for you quick reply.
Apple iPod Hi Fi
LaCie mini HUB 500GB
castaway

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. I searched for the R328W to see what it looked like. I wasn't familiar with it off hand. That's one sweet looking display! What resolution are you running at? Did the Mac mini have any trouble recognizing the display or 1366 X 768?
lojo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Samsung LCD Reply with quote

I honestly can't remember all of what happened when I first connected the Samsung to the Mini (I have my senior moments). I do remember having to adjust the display. It is currently at 1360x768 and it is awesome. I can make the print bigger as I surf the net by using the drop down from the View selection in Safari. I can lay on my sectional sofa and view the display without a problem. The Samsung has met and exceeded my expectations. I have my Logitech Z560 speakers hooked up to the TV and Mini it makes for an awesome home theatre. Thanks for the interest you have shown.
Apple iPod Hi Fi
LaCie mini HUB 500GB
Scarpad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Samsung LCD Reply with quote

lojo wrote:
I honestly can't remember all of what happened when I first connected the Samsung to the Mini (I have my senior moments). I do remember having to adjust the display. It is currently at 1360x768 and it is awesome. I can make the print bigger as I surf the net by using the drop down from the View selection in Safari. I can lay on my sectional sofa and view the display without a problem. The Samsung has met and exceeded my expectations. I have my Logitech Z560 speakers hooked up to the TV and Mini it makes for an awesome home theatre. Thanks for the interest you have shown.

I just bought that set at Best buy and was considering hooking my mini up to it. Right now I have the Xbox 360 hooked to the VGA and An upconverting DVD Changer to the HDMI. I have a Auto KVM Switch that I could use to route both inputs. Are you running video files to the set or strictly DVD's from the Mini? I've done comparisions and nothing touches the quality of the image from the upconverting DVD Changer, so I doubt I'd be happy with the mini's DVD player, but I might like to watch a properly encoded vid file.
lojo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: SAMSUNG 32" LCD HDTV Monitor (LN-R328W) Reply with quote

So far I have only viewed DVD's using a Samsung DVD-V5500. I should try the Mini's DVD player and see what I can see. I truly want to get the most out of my investments.
I watched Nemo last night via the DVD-V5500. I will see if I can detect any difference on the Mini. I still have a lot of movies on VHS so I got the dual player. Thanks for your input.
Apple iPod Hi Fi
LaCie mini HUB 500GB
isunshine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Samsung 32" LCD HDTV Monitor (LN R328W) Reply with quote

According to the Samsung's manual (LNR328W), macs are not compatible with this model. It says it only works with Windows only. But you guys are saying it is working fine with the mac?
lojo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Samsung LNR328W Reply with quote

I have had absolutely no problems with my Mac Mini and this TV/Monitor.
Please reference specifically where you found your information to the negative.
Apple iPod Hi Fi
LaCie mini HUB 500GB
isunshine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Samsung LNR328W Reply with quote

lojo wrote:
I have had absolutely no problems with my Mac Mini and this TV/Monitor.
Please reference specifically where you found your information to the negative.

My bad. I thought I saw it from somewhere, but checking it again, I can't find it.

In the manual, there is a statement that the dvi port is not for pc though.
lojo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Samsung LNR 328W Reply with quote

"In the manual, there is a statement that the dvi port is not for pc though."

Please share the specific page of the manual.
Apple iPod Hi Fi
LaCie mini HUB 500GB
isunshine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Samsung LNR 328W Reply with quote

lojo wrote:
"In the manual, there is a statement that the dvi port is not for pc though."

Please share the specific page of the manual.

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200503/20050308143839734_BN68-00801L-00Eng.pdf - page English-3.
(linked from the third link here: http://samsung.com/support/productsupport/download/Model_Select2.aspx?type=TV&subtype=LCD%20TV&model=LN-R328W&fileType=UM&LSSI=/include/SSI/us_left/LMenu_TV_LCDTV.sec&RSSI=/include/SSI/us_right/RMenu_TV.sec)

I'm really glad to heard that it works with mac. I guess I was looking at a different model (still Samsung) when I saw "this works with windows only". I've been researching this for my imac g4. Wanted to make sure the new tv I get works with my mac.
lojo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Samsung LN R328W Reply with quote

See my picture of my setup. I expected the haters to respond and they did. The Samsung sits very stable as it is pictured. I don't bother to answer such negative post. I am renting and I don't want the hassle of the hole in the wall at this time. Hope you guys like the setup.

http://www.123macmini.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2&pos=2
Apple iPod Hi Fi
LaCie mini HUB 500GB
lojo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Samsung LN R328W Reply with quote

I found in the FAQ's on Samsung's web site.

http://erms.samsungusa.com/customer/sea/jsp/faqs/faqs_view.jsp?PG_ID=3&AT_ID=25487&PROD_SUB_ID=41&PROD_ID=154

I hope this clarifies the question of Mac compatiability to the subjected LCD.
Apple iPod Hi Fi
LaCie mini HUB 500GB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: