123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2012 Mac Mini HD makes repeated clicking sound... Easy fix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vinnyg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: 2012 Mac Mini HD makes repeated clicking sound... Easy fix Reply with quote

Noticed my hard drive making a clicking sound constantly when using Safari. When not using Safari it would click about 1-2 times a minute....

Found out that this has been noticed in a number of new Mini's and here is the fix.

Go here: http://mckinlay.net.nz/hdapm/

Download the app and run it, problem solved......

Last edited by vinnyg on Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 2012 Mac Mini HD makes repeated clicking sound... Easy Reply with quote

vinnyg wrote:
Noticed my hard drive making a clicking sound constantly when using Safari. When not using Safari it would click about 1-2 times a minute....

Found out that this has been noticed in a number of ne Mini's and here is the fix.

Go here: http://mckinlay.net.nz/hdapm/

Download the app and run it, problem solved......
Is this a loud clicking sound from the hard drive?I am leery about 3rd party applications sometimes.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scammer dont even try this
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:

While I would call this use at your own discretion, this is far from a scam. For many it has been very helpful in reduction of the hard drive parking to keep the load cycling in check.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: program Reply with quote

ez061111 wrote:
macmanmacman wrote:

While I would call this use at your own discretion, this is far from a scam. For many it has been very helpful in reduction of the hard drive parking to keep the load cycling in check.
So this 3rd party app is on the level.Thanks
vinnyg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:

macmanmacman I take offense at your derogatory comment. This is not a scam and can easily be verified as a legitimate fix for this issue. I suggest you do your homework before you make statements that are founded in your opinion and certainly not in fact. You owe me an apology.
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Application Reply with quote

vinnyg wrote:
macmanmacman wrote:

macmanmacman I take offense at your derogatory comment. This is not a scam and can easily be verified as a legitimate fix for this issue. I suggest you do your homework before you make statements that are founded in your opinion and certainly not in fact. You owe me an apology.
No one is perfect in life. He has his right to his own opinions.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has a right to his opinions, but not to slander or miss-inform.

A simple Google search for hdapm shows it's been around for a while, and is certainly not a scam. Especially since the source code is available.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Hardware Reply with quote

vinnyg wrote:
macmanmacman wrote:

I downloaded this today and we will see what happens exactly. Does this app make the clicking go away? Thanks
vinnyg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Hardware Reply with quote

marv777 wrote:
vinnyg wrote:
macmanmacman wrote:

I downloaded this today and we will see what happens exactly. Does this app make the clicking go away? Thanks

It solved the issue I was experiencing immediately. Been fine since.
Evancool

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this topic is aged, but wanted to say this program worked great. It's not noted but you have elevate to super user mode to execute the command thru console.

Thanks for posting this program. I truly thought my drive was going bad and now it is quiet. Very Happy
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Clicking of Hard Drive Reply with quote

Evancool wrote:
I know this topic is aged, but wanted to say this program worked great. It's not noted but you have elevate to super user mode to execute the command thru console.

Thanks for posting this program. I truly thought my drive was going bad and now it is quiet. Very Happy
I downloaded this app and still have clicking sometimes.
neffets

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: It worked! Reply with quote

Just wanted to let you know that I was plagued by the HD clicking noise in a bad way on my Mac mid-2011 and after using the hdapm tool the sound has disappeared!

All thanks to this thread that found via a Google search about the problem.

Thx!

Smile
marv777
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: It worked! Reply with quote

neffets wrote:
Just wanted to let you know that I was plagued by the HD clicking noise in a bad way on my Mac mid-2011 and after using the hdapm tool the sound has disappeared!

All thanks to this thread that found via a Google search about the problem.

Thx!

Smile
That is good.My clicking sound I found out came from my AVR not the HD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: